who else breaks these all the time?

Drumosaurus

Cymbal sleaves. I broke them on all four cymbal stands except for my hihat. Does anyone know why they keep cracking?

ThePloughman

I had Yamaha stands and always felt the sleeves were way too tight and too thick. Sold them mainly for that reason.

What hardware are you using? How tight are the sleeves on your cymbals?

And um....... if the cymbal is fairly tight on the sleeve....... you will crack a bell someday. Its just a matter of when.

Drumosaurus

I have verve, pdp, and whatever brand of cymbal stands saluda sells. Itls not just the saluda stand, its all of them that keep cracking.

-MIKE-

Are you talking about these? http://xrl.us/cymbalsleeves

I've noticed that some brands are very brittle.

You can get clear tubing from the hardware store that works great and it's very cheap.
Take an old sleeve to help find the right tubing. You can use a 1/4" bolt to help size the smaller sized ones (6mm), and a 5/16 for the more common larger ones (8mm).

I keep a foot or so of each diameter tubing in little trouble case that goes to every gig. Can't tell you how many house kits I've played on that were missing those sleeves. So do I mind "donating" pennies-worth of cymbal sleeves to some club's drum set in order to keep from cracking my $200 cymbal? You tell me. :)

EOTE_drummer

dude i have the same problem, ive probably broke about 6, just bought new ones from guitar center the other day.

Potatoe Snack

thats wierd, i've never once broken one...i've lost them before though. not that that has anything to do with breaking them, just figured i'd dwell with you on the lose of our cymbal sleeves.

BillRayDrums

-MIKE-":1yfu3wgw said:
Are you talking about these? http://xrl.us/cymbalsleeves

I've noticed that some brands are very brittle.

You can get clear tubing from the hardware store that works great and it's very cheap.
Take an old sleeve to help find the right tubing. You can use a 1/4" bolt to help size the smaller sized ones (6mm), and a 5/16 for the more common larger ones (8mm).

I keep a foot or so of each diameter tubing in little trouble case that goes to every gig. Can't tell you how many house kits I've played on that were missing those sleeves. So do I mind "donating" pennies-worth of cymbal sleeves to some club's drum set in order to keep from cracking my $200 cymbal? You tell me. :)
Yeah exactly. Just go get some vinyl tubing at the hardware store and use that as your cymbal sleeves.

drumur

Just go get some vinyl tubing at the hardware store and use that as your cymbal sleeves.
That stuff works great.

I've never broken cymbal sleeves.
Sometimes they wear down a little...those plastic Gibralter ones.

SGarrett

drumur":2nhz6i2a said:
Just go get some vinyl tubing at the hardware store and use that as your cymbal sleeves.
That stuff works great.

I've never broken cymbal sleeves.
Sometimes they wear down a little...those plastic Gibralter ones.
That's what the Pearl sleeves are...you just pay more for them. :D