which of these two drummers is the better??

grohl

Brann Dailor-mastodon
Danny Carey-tool

i saw live this two great drummers (two of my favourites drummers by the way) and i couldn´t know who is the better one(if he is possible to know)
however i would like to know which one you guys enjoy most...

disrupt13

not being a big fan of tool myself, i prefer brann, that dude has some fast hands, danny carey in my opinion is way overated, tool as a band is ok but i cant get into progressive music, i cant sit there for 10 minutes and listen to the same riff. Dont get me wrong, hes good, but in my own opinion brann.

Jack Ruby

I think when you get as good as those two guys, it isn't really a matter of which one is better. I think they get to a certain point, and learning anything is possible. I personally think Danny Carey is more creative, but not necessarily better.

Pork Sword

Jack Ruby":w9zbplfh said:
I think when you get as good as those two guys, it isn't really a matter of which one is better. I think they get to a certain point, and learning anything is possible. I personally think Danny Carey is more creative, but not necessarily better.
I echo that statement 100%....

I think Danny Carey has about 10 years more experience & has some of the most creative beats I've heard in drumming over the course of the last 15 years....Brann is super fast, but listen to Danny's chops guys...he's equally quick & a much more well rounded drummer...doing the stuff with Volto! with is a high energy fusion band, he's recorded with Skinny Puppy, Pigmy Love Circus...I just think Danny brings alot more to the table than just a quick metal drummer.........
Don't get me wrong I love Brann's drumming as well...I just think Danny has alot more to his credit.

Johnny Cat

I love both and think they are both excellent drummers, but Danny is more of a personal favorite for me of course. He's in my Top 5 favorites. But I don't think either one is "better" than the other.

PaisteAndPearl

This really isn't even a question. But, the answer is Danny Carey. Brann is tight, quick, and pretty creative, but, Danny is a monster. The parts he puts together, the back beats, the polyrhythmic patterns are all crazy. I recently saw Tool live 3 times; in DC, in Jersey and in NY and he played flawlessly. I also saw him at a clinic with Carl Palmer and he even managed to out shine a legend like that.

TheYann

I hate that kind of questions, it makes no sens ... they both have skills and talent, possibly not the same skills as the music they play and you hear them play is totally different !

Can't compare oranges and apples for one, and secondly the whole "that guy is better than this guy" is ridiculous !

Now if the question was "which one do you prefer", that would be completely different !

Dale

grohl":1ndpi5zl said:
Brann Dailor-mastodon
Danny Carey-tool

i saw live this two great drummers (two of my favourites drummers by the way) and i couldn´t know who is the better one(if he is possible to know)
however i would like to know which one you guys enjoy most...
These questions are hard to answer because music is an art form and relies on expression. Neither of these people will play like the other. And that is great. It means we have two as opposed to one.

I don't think these questions are important. If we take a professional situation, for example a producer choosing a drummer for a session, the choice might be made according to the style of the player. In that case it's not even a matter of better, but who suits the musical situation more.

I think it is only an important question when an inexperienced player is in competition with a professional, say for a session. In that case the skills win out. For example, the inexperienced player may not be able to play with a click in the studio or doesn't groove. Then you get the pro', who is better.

TheYann

Thanks Dale, that's basically what I was trying to say but said it with much more class and finesse :D

well done ;)

Dale

TheYann":zprb0ll4 said:
Thanks Dale, that's basically what I was trying to say but said it with much more class and finesse :D

well done ;)
Thanks mate. I am slowly getting better at this internet stuff.

It's taking me long enough! :roll:

Jiggarelli

I think the "Who is better" question is a silly question, but it's going to be ask so here is my .02.

Take Bran and put him in Tool, can he comprehend the polyrhythmic stuff? Can he use effects like Danny? Is he capable of playing is four or five different types of bands, and not just making it sound convincing, but actually understanding all of it.

I'm pretty sure from what I've seen personally from Danny, that he's just as fast as anyone else. Not to mention the fact that once you reach the level of Danny, speed is just a small workout a day!

I respect Brann as well, and I'm not bashing him, who knows maybe he can hang with Dennis Chambers and Steve Smith like I think Danny can. But musically, I think Danny brings more to the table.

lee

I've heard two drummers in my life that have made me laugh my head off, they've been that good. The first was Steve Gadd, the second Danny Carey.
I think Brann is very, very good, but Danny is on another level. I've been fortunate enough to see both drummers once already this year, and will see both again next month.
Even people who don't like Tool can't fail to appreciate the parts Danny produces.
Can't wait for Dec 1st, Tool/Mastodon in Nottingham.

Terry Bozzio on the other hand...

youngdrummer

I don't really think a drummer should be measured by his chops, because feel is what's important. Danny Carrey has an excellent feel, sickening chops, and a PhD, so I honestly don't think Brann, being the incredible talent he is, is better.
Brann has chops, but his feel suffers because of it. He plays a fill literally every four bars. That's just too much in my opinion.

They're both excellent though, so whatever.

downshifter99

I like both of them,I've seen Mastadon twice,Tool five times.
Two different styles so therefore,neither is"better".

If you ask me(which you are not)Dale Crover of the Melvins is the shit.

He is TRULY creative!...(like Tim'Herb'Alexander). :idea:

pohbear

Well both are Great Drummers, but I have to give the edge to Brann Dailor, seams to be a faster hand. I leave it up to all of you.

TAMA Starclassics :twisted:
Sabian
Pearl Pedals
EVANS Heads
Vic Firth

sharkscott

I have never heard of Mastadon before looking at this thread and I am not a big fan of Tool. I can appeiciate their music but I do not enjoy it. It is just my personal taste. I am a 4/4 kind of guy and I like being able to tap my foot or something while listening to music and I cannot do that most of the time with Tool.

Carey is a great drummer but my taste in music is too far removed from what he does to be a fan of the band he plays for. If Mastadon is like Tool then I would guess that I would have a similar opinion of his playing as well.

Just my 2 cents

Xander

Jack Ruby":2zib3o6b said:
a very wise statement. :) danny carey would have my vote.
x

chris_stuff_er

i haven't seen Mastadon live, but listening to their records bore me. i agree that danny is much more creative. honestly, it's really not brann's fault, i just find the rest of mastadon's instrumentation makes me sleepy. i'm a dick.