Which is easier?!

Multibomber

Whether live or in the studio, is it easier for the engineer/sound guy to add resonance to a muffled/loose/ or moon-gelled drum, or is it easier to gate resonance out of opened tuned drums?? Whether live or in the studio, I want my toms to sound like this (I hope the resonance comes through on crappy computer speakers)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtVRNU4ljt0[/video]

SGarrett

You'd have just as much luck adding resonance to a cardboard box during mixing as you would a muffled drum. Get a clean take, don't try to fix anything in the mix. :)

vincemie

the best way to get good drum sounds or the sounds you desire is to get the actual drums to sound that way first, then you edit, mix, compress or whatever.

Multibomber

I like my drums to sing, I love how my drums sound without micing them, but that sound never makes it onto recordings. I was thinking of switching from G2 clears to EC2 coated as I've heard coated heads record better. Any thoughts? I'm just wondering how to make the engineer's life easier without having dead sounding drums

vincemie

i have found that moon gels do work well in the studio and the engineers that i have worked with usually ask to try them or have them laying around at the studio. you can cut them and use less if a whole gel sounds too dead for your ears. in the studio i use them on my dw's which are very resonant, full sounding drums to begin and i can make them sound more "open" or less "open" not just "open" or "muffled" and i find that if i mess around with them i can come up with the solution. its a cheap, quick, and easy way to control the ring and muffling, as you can control the physical size of the gel which doing the muffling. drums can still sing with moon gels.

Multibomber

So you'd recommend starting with an open sound and using moongels to fine tune the sound for whatever youre trying to attain?

okjohne

Moon gels are a tool and they can help achieve a sound. Me I'm organic and the less crap on my drums the better. That said I've used a trigger on the kick several times.

drummerduba

You could do that.

What some metal players do is record both the click of the triggered sound and blend it with a natural kick sound.

That method allows you to keep some of the low end and still allow the sound to cut through a mix

Cheers
Duba

vincemie

Multibomber":2oqfjv5h said:
What about taking your natural kick sound and adding a sampled kick sound and blending the 2 sounds??
that is incredibly common and happens all the time in the studio. not just with the kick but with the snare too.

nydubber

vincemie":pqm91deo said:
Multibomber":pqm91deo said:
What about taking your natural kick sound and adding a sampled kick sound and blending the 2 sounds??
that is incredibly common and happens all the time in the studio. not just with the kick but with the snare too.

On St. Anger is has been said one of these could be found sitting to the left of Lars' hi-hat...

lars ulrich got that snare sound from his sig snare with the snares off and rimshotting the fuck out of it, theres a video on youtube of him explaing this.

Empyrean Drums

possumofdestruction":bo2ofzf3 said:
lars ulrich got that snare sound from his sig snare with the snares off and rimshotting the fuck out of it, theres a video on youtube of him explaing this.
Thanks for the info, now I can make sure my snare never sounds like that

Potatoe Snack

Empyrean Drums":31cquhgk said:
possumofdestruction":31cquhgk said:
Thanks for the info, now I can make sure my snare never sounds like that
its all about pushing the envelope for some! sometimes you discover something great, sometimes you end up with something infamous for its ugliness (worked for sarah jessica parker, right? LOL).

as long as you're still attempting something new, its cool in my book. lars tried something new, gotta respect him for that.

even if it sounded like crap

Empyrean Drums

So what you are saying is that if you do something stupid and get poor results you deserve respect (as long as no one has been dumb enough to try it before)?
I always thought you earn respect........