Which is better dw or Tama

musiclover4795

tama is ya name kinda fading out. my first set was a tama rockstar. dw is so freakin expoensive. id go with pearl if anything but between those 2 id go with dw

Rob the Drummer

I'd go with DW, but Tama makes great kits. If you have the choice, play on them both and see what you prefer. I like the tones and resonance I get outta my Dee-dubs.

Shawn Thacker

Tama's baby the strongest name in drums! i have had two tama kits a set of 80s super stars, birch shells and now a set of Star classic's maple shells and they both sounded awsome especially the star classics and are very well designed from the hardware, mounting system, air vents,bass drum spurs, shells, everything! these babys sing and look great.

Dwdrummerboy

Got to go with DW I love my kit its 10 years old and looks brand new there great drums little expensive but werth their wieght in gold

jwoo10

I play an OLD Tama SwingStar set... (when they were the top of the line Tamas...)... But thats Only cause I can't afford a DW set..

I'd rather a set of Ayotes..... or a few others I've heard in my 35+ years of drumming

Johnny Cat

Both are excellent companies. Neither is "better". It's all personal preference. Depends on what you're looking for to get the job done.

If I truly want something completely suited to my tastes, I'd go totally custom, like something from Mark Ross Percussion as an example.

Ive been a Tama man for like 15+ years, and thats never gonna change. But i do think DW custom kits are beautiful creations. I have salivated over many a DW kit, however my heart will always remain with Tama, like a wife hehe

Lee Kelley

It is all personal opinion and while I have had a DW kit...actually 2 of them and have played them on fly dates, they are not one of my favorites...but I LOVE the hardware and swear by the bass drum pedals (using a 9002 double pedal on EVERY gig).

For drums, I would have to go with Tama though.

JimmiRock

Johnny Cat":o3t1e1nb said:
Both are excellent companies. Neither is "better". It's all personal preference. Depends on what you're looking for to get the job done.
that's right... and becuase of that i hate that DW put there prices up loads just for colours and wraps when they basically are the same!

totoole26

to be honest I have DW drums and recently purchase a Tama Starclassic performers. I mix match the sets. I enjoy the resonation from the DW kick-22 by 18 better than the resonation from the tama 22 by 18. But then again the DW kick is maple and the Tama is birch. so the wood has a lot to do with it. But I love those Birch toms from the Tama set. Now the snares are hard to decide on They both make great snares and you will never go wrong with going either way. All in all both are great kits and but I took the best of both worlds and combined them together along with another drum company's stuff called Fibes. But to be honest one kit took 2 years to pay off (DW) where as the Tama kit will take half as long. So all in all for a starting muscian buy a Tama they sound great and are road worthy.

ilike2rock

although dw's r expensive they are quickly becoming the most used kit in studios. And dw's are great your getting alot of bells and whistels with a dw kit. BUT for about 1/4 the price (sometimes) you can get a tama and be just as happy. being that tamas are made over seas they have cheaper labor cost so they can offer your a high end kit at a reasonable price. and the new tama baginga is incredible!

screamkevin

*Sigh* I thought I had covered this before, but I'll do it again. Sorry, but it's one of my pet peeves...

[rant]

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "BEST".

It's all subjective, based one one's opinions and personal preferences. Using the phrase "best" is such a lame crutch, that we as drummers really need to get rid of. So please, for my own sanity, and the love of all that's holy, please quit asking "what's the best" and just use what you prefer to use!!!

[rant]