Where do you buy your stuff?

Tazdrummer

It seems like Guitar Centers are popping up all over the place and are trying to become to fast food what McDonalds is (Where I used to live, when I had family come up there are the directions I would give... "Take highway ___ to north _____ to exit whatever, turn right, count 4 McDonald's turn left at the next light....).

I hear alot of people say it is better to support your local mom and pop music stores.

Today I went to the drum place about 20 minutes from my house (I live 5 minutes from a Guitar Center), I was looking at the noise isolation headphones and the guy there had the stereo Vic Firth set.... for $139!!! I ended up getting a new head for my tom and it was about $5 more than online, which, I can understand.

But, for the biggest part, do you buy where it is cheapest or do you support the mom and pop stores no matter the cost?

andybfrank

There are two things that factor into where I buy stuff. First, the price. If two items are identical and one is cheaper than the other (total cost including shipping), of course I will go for the lower price. However some items I prefer to test, see and hear before buying. If this is the case, then I will go into the store and buy it instead of buying it online. I could care less about the whole mom and pop vs Guitar Center thing. I'll buy from whoever has what I want for less, provided that it is a quality product. There is a mom and pop in my town that has never supported me, so why would I support them? By this I mean they have rarely had what I wanted on hand, and they have rarely sold me anything cheaper than what I could get somewhere else. But if Guitar Center doesn't have what I want at the price I want it, I'm not going to buy from them either. It just so happens they usually do.

Naomi McFadyen

I wont support my local drum store (which is about 1/4 mile away, if that!) as one of their staff was a bit sexist towards me when I went in to help someone else with getting some gear.... so I won't touch the place now... they are pretty expensive anyway!

I tend to shop around online first. I used to order stuff from abroad (usually America) as things are much cheaper but they've incurred Custom Charges now so I've stopped doing that!
I recently purchased drum heads from GAK.co.uk . Fair prices and very good customer service. If all fails, I usually go on eBay!

FiestyRedDrummEr

Naomi McFadyen":2jjgq84v said:
I wont support my local drum store (which is about 1/4 mile away, if that!) as one of their staff was a bit sexist towards me when I went in to help someone else with getting some gear.... so I won't touch the place now... they are pretty expensive anyway!

I tend to shop around online first. I used to order stuff from abroad (usually America) as things are much cheaper but they've incurred Custom Charges now so I've stopped doing that!
I recently purchased drum heads from GAK.co.uk . Fair prices and very good customer service. If all fails, I usually go on eBay!
I buy from Chad Sextons Drum City. I have also got a few things from Guatemala when I went there. oh and Scotland. I seem to just pick stuff up along the way. and I have a Remo set from when I was sponsered by Remo...so my stuff is all tattered and mixed matched...but I love it. I do have a decent kit though. my pride and joy.