"Where are You?"

BillRayDrums

A zen question indeed.

I don't mean geographically...

Me- I'm at a place in my career where new growth is occurring. I feel that the past 37 years of my playing is entering a new era to where my potential (and worth) as a professional will become into a much higher demand. The gigs that I have done prior to now all aggregate into a package that is versatile, malleable, and mature.

So what's all that mombo-jumbo mean? IT means that the next 37 years of my career are going flourish and I will eventually find that "golden gig"...."the great gig in the sky".....blah blah blah.

Being part of the Ike Turner legacy, good things are set forth to happen.

I find that "Even numbered years" work best for me for some strange reason. With that knowledge I feel that 2008 will be the best year ever!

cableman26

Good topic. I'm at a place where at 27, I seem to have a new hunger for knowledge. It's an eye opener when you finally come to the conclusion that you thought you knew more than you actually know. Am I a drummer? Yes, I believe I fit that criteria. Am I a musician? Not yet but I'm working my ass off to get there.

Timekeep69

Band-wise, in a rut. I'm planning on putting together a band with a guitar player after the new year but for the past 4 years I haven't been able to find the right band. Hopefully this will work.

Custom Drum wise, I'm starting to see results. :)

okjohne

Kinda funny... Not sure where I am. I have a great Rock/Core project Goin but don't want to take from practice time. Iwanna play a ton. That's where I am.

Potatoe Snack

I'm at the point in my drumming life where I need to relearn the basics. I never really sat down and practiced rudiments or practiced with a metronome and learned technique or stick control. I'm gonna be bicycling backwards in 08!!! Find myself a drum teacher and put to side some time everyday devoted to practicing the basics!

Henry George

I believe that I am on the threshhold of a great break through.
I returned to the drum 'kit' about 10yrs ago ( always had a pad),
because my boy showed enthusiasm for playin the blues guitar.
This is where I am at:
played around the traps recently with my boy
coz he found a 'drummer'
who will turn up to the unpaid gig.
Childish Ways was our first no.coz the tape ran out.
But I'm dead chuffed, warts 'an all.
Any suggestions for improvment, other than
"I need more practise with the canes,"
would be very much appreciated,
thanks .

http://www.myspace.com/benbutchermusic

stump

I feel that I am in a good place right now. The band is going well though I too need to start looking back at the basics of drumming. I have put alot of the early teachings on the back burner. I plan on practicing more, focusing on being a better drummer and playing with the passion that I did when I was younger. I have also started reading Bruce Lee's book "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" and have started focusing more on fighting technique as well as spiritual being. I am not a guy who ever goes out looking for fights but in the line of work that I am in, well let's just say I can hold my own and it's nice to have an edge. Great book and teachings so far. I look forward to having a great year with an open mind and an open heart. Peace on ya guys! 2007 has been a blast..let's continue to have a great forum in 2008!!

SGarrett

I'm in a building phase. I've started putting honest effort into learning jazz and latin and will spend 2008 building my recording career and rebuilding my live career from taking '07 off. My mind frame is determined.

Gaddabout

Interesting question. I sold all my gear for reasons beyond all my control. Having really been away from the grind for 3 years, and my 39th birthday within sight, I think I'm approacing a place where just being in a band would be appealing. I've never wanted to be in a band. Always enjoyed the freedom (and financial benefits) of being a contract/session player -- not that I was ever in demand, but I could always make my own rules.

I think I just want to get back to enjoying music again. Only so many 32nd notes a dude can play on the practice pad before the music stops playing in the head.

Lancelot Frosty

I just turned 15. My family life's going through some changes at the moment, but that'll all come to pass, and I know it.
I don't know what I want from life yet(aside from a Sonor X-Ray kit with some Meinl Amuns and Byzances)and I'm going through being a teen.
Meh. Life's not so interesting for me.

Rob Crisp

I'm in an exciting place... a place where drums become my life, as opposed to just a part of it.

I'm starting my year with that trip to New York which will undoubtedly open my mind and eyes to new things. After that I hope to start turning my passion for drums into much, much more!

As a band we have a few things lined up with real interest behind them. 2008 could be the year where the question "What do you do?" can be answered with "I play drums" and the answer to the question that always follows "No, what do you do for a living?" can be answered knowingly with a smile :)

Good luck everyone, here's to the best year for drummers ever!

Great Gazoo

2007 was the year I finally admitted I did't know it all(drums and life).I turned 30 which for me was un-beliveable and a great new start at life as a whole.In 08....who knows? Drumming for me has come full circle and now (at least for me) its all about passion and roots,Drums are now who I am and not just what I do.Im never gonna be a Peart/Beuford or Portnoy...and you know what???Thats just fine by me;but I am gonna be better at what I do and who I am for realizing it

SmellsLikeIan

28 and broke. Hopefully that will change soon. Our song 'Dead and Gone' was number 27 for the year on the Texas music chart ( www.texasmusicchart.com ) and Regional radio report with 17,204 spins. Our second single is in the top 40 on the Tx chart right now. Maybe the gigs will keep getting better and some good management will look our way after this much radio exposure. We need as much help as we can get right now.

BillRayDrums

SmellsLikeIan":x1f3nr9h said:
28 and broke. Hopefully that will change soon. Our song 'Dead and Gone' was number 27 for the year on the Texas music chart ( www.texasmusicchart.com ) and Regional radio report with 17,204 spins. Our second single is in the top 40 on the Tx chart right now. Maybe the gigs will keep getting better and some good management will look our way after this much radio exposure. We need as much help as we can get right now.
And you my friend have the hook firmly planted and you cannot escape the pull. Smaller victories lead to bigger ones. Keep pluggin' away!!

PS I'm broke too, but there's some hope on the horizon. Calls for the KoR (Kings of Rhythm) band have been coming in pretty steadily. Plus, there's the Sheila Sondergard thing, Playground Slap, Bill Magee, Ernest Lane, etc.

Rockula!

I am at the point where I see every convention of music being over exposed
All I want to do is my part to chip away at those conventions
I realise tht I can't change the downward slope that entertainment in general has taken but I do feel a kinship with more and more disaffected people who simply had enough
People tell me every day how dissatisfied they are with the lack of any new bands that are worth a shit
Once I came to this realisation, I gave away all my posessions (except my gear) and took off for Minneapolis
I almost quit music entirely because I didn't see anywhere that I wanted to go
That's when I came up with the current method that I use to make music which is breaking my material into fragments and then re-assembling them
Sure, I may not be the first one to do this but at least the field isn't so crowded with wannabes who have no real reason to play music other than "to make it big"
The typical reacton is for people to say "Ah, you're just bitter because you aren't successful" but after the last year of reflection, I realise that I have always had a sense of chaos inside me and the cliche'd "rock star life" is not for me
I just wanna shake things up and cause some damage

BillRayDrums

Rockula!":1rs1ekka said:
I am at the point where I see every convention of music being over exposed
All I want to do is my part to chip away at those conventions
I realise tht I can't change the downward slope that entertainment in general has taken but I do feel a kinship with more and more disaffected people who simply had enough
People tell me every day how dissatisfied they are with the lack of any new bands that are worth a shit
Once I came to this realisation, I gave away all my posessions (except my gear) and took off for Minneapolis
I almost quit music entirely because I didn't see anywhere that I wanted to go
That's when I came up with the current method that I use to make music which is breaking my material into fragments and then re-assembling them
Sure, I may not be the first one to do this but at least the field isn't so crowded with wannabes who have no real reason to play music other than "to make it big"
The typical reacton is for people to say "Ah, you're just bitter because you aren't successful" but after the last year of reflection, I realise that I have always had a sense of chaos inside me and the cliche'd "rock star life" is not for me
I just wanna shake things up and cause some damage
I've found that there exists a fine line between being seasoned, and turning bitter. I started becoming bitter at one point but I managed to turn it around and think a bit more positive.

It's tough, but manageable.

screamkevin

I posted in another thread, but I'm at a break time. I played last night my final gig with my band, and my drums are now in my attic for about 5-6 months. I walk away every few years, because I get burned out. Last night (NYE) was my 25th gig in the last 30 days, and this old body is tired. So I'm going to spend time with my family and recharge. Plus, I can get new ideas from surfing YouTube, ripping off licks from BillRay (oops, did I type that??), and generally listening instead of playing. I won't pick up a pair of sticks for at least 90 days, and then maybe only once a week after that, until I decide it's time to get another project together and play out again.

dedrummervanrolf

good topic indeed.
I'm at a strange point with my main band. If you ask me, this is when we're supposed to get "big" I mean play at least a show a week, and go on small tours and stuff, but it seems to be that the other bandmembers are getting too caught up in their own lives. Which is totally cool, and good for everybody, cuz we started out 5 years ago as 14-year-old boys who happened to be friends and in the same school. Right now everybody has their own thing going, but we still are very close friends, and being in the band is still the same fun it ever was. It's just strange, because I am sure not everybody has the same plans for this band. well..I guess we'll see how it goes. I've got several other plans for bands I really want to start (a gimmick britpop band called britpoop for one).

Atmerrill

At a point where there's too many demands of my time....5th grade teacher, working on completing my Master's in Ed (looking for an admin gig i.e., Asst. Principal), and musician. My school site is 50 miles north of where I live, and I'm out of the door at 6:30 am and usually home by 6:00 pm. Will be looking for a new school closer to home this coming year, but it's a bummer as I already have tenure where I'm at. Oh well. Want to get my own thing going in the not-too-distant future, but I have to get working closer to home first.

Mainly, I've been playing when/where opportunities present themselves, and trying to push my chops forward as much as possible. This upcoming NAMM show thing has really had me working the hands and feet - more so on the feet as I've only been at the double bass thing for about 14 months. It's been an interesting leap, and a surprisingly easy one - seems the 30 years of working the hi-hat with the left foot has paid some dividends along the way. Relearning a lot of what I did on one bass drum and separating it between the kicks though has actually been a lot of fun too.

YouTube and other sites has really been an interesting experience and a gold mine of sorts to be able to see a lot of talented folks, cop a bit here and there, and bring it into what I'm doing. Wish it existed 30 years ago!

Happy New Year to All!

LeJayk

I'm 17, and only been drumming properly (as in taking in new techniques and such) for 18 months really, out of the 3 years I've been making noise with a drumkit.

I'm at that point where I will listen to anyone with advice, buy any book recommended to me, listen to any genre and basically being a sponge for knowledge. I'm listening to new music that I wouldn't have thought about listening to a year ago. Such as Miles Davis, Rush, Dream Theater and most of all, Meshuggah. I know, blasphemy you might say, and I agree completely =]

Unfortunately, being a stereotypical teen and being me, I'm very lazy, so all the theory behind what I'm learning is useless as I dont get to sit at my practice pad and drum kit much.

Its my New Years resolution though. I'll post up some videos when I'm confident I wont get laughed off the internet :p

Band wise, its strange. We're working on new material all the time, but we havent gigged in a year, due to recording EPs, the singer going to Thailand for a month and other little things. We're growing though, and 2008 is definately going to be our year on the local circuit.

Short version - Evolution, Revolution and Growth.