When tuning top and bottom heads

cableman26

I've always heard to tune them the same. That way when you hit the drum the sound is steady and not all wobbley.

rundylanrunn

tuning both heads the same works well if you're using pinstripes.

i'm using smooth white emperors at the moment, with clear ambassador resonant heads, and for those i have to tune the bottom head tighter than the top, but it sounds amazing.

McForman

ok. I don't know if its my head, but on my 10" tom if I tune the bottom head tighter than the top, it makes an awful noise like BBBBMMMMMMMOOOOWWWWWW. its terrible. I've only had the heads for about 5 months, so I don't know.

SGarrett

Generally speaking, tuning both heads the same will give you a very round sound. Tuning the resonant head lower will give you a pitch bend with a low initial note and a high after note while cutting a slight amount of projection. Tuning the resonant head higher will give you the opposite effect. If you're hearing a wobble it's because either one of the two heads is out of tune or the drum is out of tune with itself. If you're tuning the resonant higher or lower you want the "oh-EE-oh" sound from the The Wizard of Oz or the beginning of Metallica's Frayed Ends of Sanity.

Rockula!

I like to go just the opposite
I tune my resonant heads just a tad above tension
Just enough to get rid of the wrinkles
Emperor batters and Diplomat resonant

When you hit the drum, it almost sounds distorted
Especially the bass drum
Things get noisier when you use large sizes
Especially a 24" bass drum

Most drummers don't go for an ugly sound but I feel that it fits in with the nature of my project

Rockula!

McForman":3j3gdu4t said:
and what is the nature of you project?

I try to make real instruments sound manufactured and sampled instruments behave like real ones
It is a "one man band" that is mainly centered around the drums but I also play guitar, bass, vocals, ambient noise(both smoth and abrasive) as well as mixing video barrages
Most of the things that bands strive for, I try to avoid or even destroy
It's more about challenging your perception of what is "real music" than trying to rock your ass off like every other band that thinks they rock your ass off
The concept is very pretentious and alienates people (half the audience is gone soon after I start)
However, those who stay are the ones I want to reach anyways
It basically reflects my disatisfaction with music in general

Here's my setup (minus the guitar/bass)

overview.jpg
[/img]

McForman

thats sounds pretty rad. Do you have a myspace or something with your music on it? or something like that?

dannydrumperc

I think Larry Nolly's book about drum tuning
bk005s.jpg

nails almost all quite good. That being said, I preffer single ply heads (wich sound quite high) for resonants and double ply heads (wich sounds lower) for batters. That combo, tuned to fairly good relative pitches (3rds - 5ths), gives a very deep and full drum sound, IMHO.

drumur

I tune Toms in 4ths.
Depending on the drums, I either tune equal top and bottom or bottom slightly higher.

McForman

drumur":2ufk27gg said:
I tune Toms in 4ths.
Depending on the drums, I either tune equal top and bottom or bottom slightly higher.

How do you know what notes the toms are? Do you use a tuner or something?