When did they start adding inked logos onto cymbals?

kenny.drummer

Basically, I have no idea about when cymbal companies started this, and I thought it would be nice to find out finally. :)

Also - did this stem from inked cymbals only go to compensated endorsers?

kenny

Brian L

Looking at music videos i think it happened in the early 80s maybe. but I really have no idea though.

galgano16

b4 the companies started doin the ink thing, did u notice how cheap and shitty lookin cymbals from the early days used 2 look b4 that, but they werent?

skitch

Rockula!":2bn7g0at said:
I can remember that the early Zildjian logos were outlines instead of solid
This is known as the "hollow" logo and it was inked onto Zildjian cymbals in the 1970s as a very effective marketing tool as magazines such as DownBeat were very popular and Modern Drummer was just coming into being. Then MTV burst onto the scene and - boom - logos everywhere!

SGarrett

skitch":3cnqi3tk said:
Rockula!":3cnqi3tk said:
This is known as the "hollow" logo and it was inked onto Zildjian cymbals in the 1970s as a very effective marketing tool as magazines such as DownBeat were very popular and Modern Drummer was just coming into being. Then MTV burst onto the scene and - boom - logos everywhere!
Yep. Logos are a marketing tool. You see the name swinging around your favorite drummer's kit and the standardization of lines did away with the need for picking cymbals based on weight. "I want a XX gram ride" turned into "I want a Rock Ride" or "I want a XX gram crash" into "I want Fast Studio Crash".

skitch

SGarrett":1oza33il said:
skitch":1oza33il said:
Rockula!":1oza33il said:
Yep. Logos are a marketing tool. You see the name swinging around your favorite drummer's kit and the standardization of lines did away with the need for picking cymbals based on weight. "I want a XX gram ride" turned into "I want a Rock Ride" or "I want a XX gram crash" into "I want Fast Studio Crash".
And then Yamaha added red and yellow to the recording custom line up. You then saw them everywhere.