Whats your throne preference.

casketborn1

Im looking into a new throne. I see these thrones with a back rest. Does that resrict any movement?? And the bicycle seat kind. Due to the shape, does it allow better movement with your thighs? Which is better for lower back support?

Spydr2000

casketborn1":1k58s106 said:
Im looking into a new throne. I see these thrones with a back rest. Does that resrict any movement?? And the bicycle seat kind. Due to the shape, does it allow better movement with your thighs? Which is better for lower back support?
You buy a throne with a back rest, you might as well buy yourself a lazy boy that way when you get tired you recline and prop your feet up. I really don't mean to bust you on that, its just what I think of them.

I used both bicycle and round seat, neither of restrict any movement. As far as lower back support I wouldn't resort to the back rest, just sit up straight.

Mike T

Spydr2000":3oxtvce3 said:
casketborn1":3oxtvce3 said:
You buy a throne with a back rest, you might as well buy yourself a lazy boy that way when you get tired you recline and prop your feet up. I really don't mean to bust you on that, its just what I think of them.

I used both bicycle and round seat, neither of restrict any movement. As far as lower back support I wouldn't resort to the back rest, just sit up straight.

yeah well good advice and you are probably under 20 years old when you hit 50 let me know what you think of a back rest/..... they help and are no hinderence they keep you in a better position but are probably only good for us old farts...

screamkevin

I'm a drumming "old fart", and I use a Pearl Roadster motorcycle throne. Great padding, no backrest, good swivel and support, and I don't have any back problems. Gonna agree with my man Spyder here, proper posture is a must, along with keeping yourself in shape and stretching before a gig.

scrubs

Choosing a throne is a very personal thing. I have a Pearl D-2000 Roadster, which has the option of a backrest, but I don't have one. Nothing wrong with having one, though. Whatever is most comfortable for you.

Crash101

i think you should get a harley davidson motorcycle seat and turn it in to a drum throne. i sat on one one time, it was just the seat nothing else, man it was so comfortable. i think ill try that one day when i have money to blow and nothing better to do.

drumbeast420

I have gone through a lot of different thrones and am now on a Roc N Soc hydrollic. It is the bomb! The hydrollics give you a little bit of bounce and the seat is by far the most comfortable I have ever been on. Any drummer who sits on it, loves it. I do have a backrest on it as well, but I really don't use it much. It is nice to have for when I need it. I agree with sitting up straight, but it is nice to have support when the singer goes on some ramble or things like that. They are pricy, but you can find some used ones on ebay. They are worth every penny! Good lucK!

I have been playing for the better part of 30+ years. One of the most underappreciated and overlooked accessories is the drum throne. My first was terrible....one of those small, round models with little to no padding that lasted NO time at all. Since then I have spent good money on thrones. Here is my list of favs.

1. Roc-n-Soc. Not the original steel heavy thing but the one with the plastic five leg base with a backrest. Still have it and since one of the legs cracked in transit years ago, I just duct taped it and glued it back and I use it at home. I then bought one with a tripod fold-up base with the same seat and basckrest design. STILL use them both.

2. Tama Ist Throne Ergo Rider with back rest. I love this throne. And while it is not as soft as a Roc-n-Soc, the backrest supports in a way that makes long gigs SOOOOO much easier. The embroidered back rest is SO cool and the base is a 4 point rather than a tripod and yet can be folded up in transport. And to the guy who says having a stool with a backrest on it is like having a La-z-Boy recliner, see me in 20 years after you have played 200-300 gigs/sessions/shows a year for 15+ years and let me know what kind of condition YOUR back is in.

3. My latest acquision, a Yamaha with a VERY large and wide seat. Not sure what model it is and it is NOT the mesh seat, but it also comes with a backrest that I have not gotten from Yamaha yet. I like this for gigs and just for casula sitting. With a backrest it should be great because of the added diminsion iin the seat cushion.

I will say that most drummer skimp on a throne which is a HUGE mistake. You definitely get what you pay for and after playing on my various NICE thrones it is difficult to do a long gig on something less than comfortable. SAVE YOUR MONEY and get a nice throne that will last. My Roc-n-Socs are at least 10 years old and still going strong.

One other preference-I personally do NOT like hydraulic thrones. They seems to have a bounce that I can never get used to and I hear the canisters have to be replaced occasionally. Therefore, all of my thrones are of the threaded center pole kind. Personal preference but I have not enjoyed playing on ANY hydraulic throne.

writheindecay

ive got the crappy little round throne that came with my pdp kit when i bought it. it is painful to sit on for more than hour.
the other day i had enough ass and taint hurt, so i brought it home, pulled out all the stalples ont he bottom, pulled the cover off, stuffed some more foam inside and reassembled and stapled it. way better,

i wanna get one of the roc n soc hydraulic thrones.

one thing im learning about drumming is, you cant skimp anywhere, youll notice it eventually.

Spydr2000

Mike T":3ccdil22 said:
Spydr2000":3ccdil22 said:
casketborn1":3ccdil22 said:

yeah well good advice and you are probably under 20 years old when you hit 50 let me know what you think of a back rest/..... they help and are no hinderence they keep you in a better position but are probably only good for us old farts...

I'm actually 35 and I do recall Buddy Rich never using a back rest and he was well in his 50's.

nickbaldwin

Round seat is good for me, as long as its moderately padded.

Although I've played on a friend of mine's top of the line Tama, with backrest, and it is very nice. Gotta say I would take the backrest off though, it just made me sit further away from the drums, meaning more stress on my arms than on my legs if you get me, legs being closer to the kit than my arms.

Spydr2000":3iejv7al said:
Mike T":3iejv7al said:
Spydr2000":3iejv7al said:
casketborn1":3iejv7al said:

I'm actually 35 and I do recall Buddy Rich never using a back rest and he was well in his 50's.
You need to do some more research about Buddy Rich. He had LOTS of back problems attributed to drumming. I think for nearly all of his career he used a canister throne with no back support. I don't think thrones with back rests or supports were available when he was around. I think the Roc-n-Soc had just come around when he was in the last years of his life, but I could be mistaken. My point being that Buddy DID have back problems, specifically LOWER back issues throughout his career. If you read the biography that Mel Torme' wrote with him(I guess that makes it an autobiography of sorts.....) he talks about being at a show with Buddy and his band. Buddy was in such severe pain in his back that for a moment HE suggested that Donny Osbourne, Jr., Mel's drummer, might have to go on in his place. Buddy ended up doing the show but again back problems plagued him his entire career. So while he did play until his 60's(not 50...) he did suffer from back pain. Would a throne with some back support been a help to him? Who knows, but I dare say it COULD have.

I use a throne with a backrest 99% of the time. Hopefully I will be playing into my 60's and beyond. Doesn't make me a lazy drummer. Forgive me, but that is a very closed minded and ignorant statement in my opinion. That is like saying someone who uses a cart or a handtruck to help transport their gear is lazy. Remember, work SMARTER, not HARDER. My thrones allow me to do just that. If you don't need a backrest, so be it. But again, it doesn't make those of us who use them LAZY. Smarter but not lazy.

Drumming_Animal

Ive got the Pealr Roadster D-2000, it hasnt got the backrest but there is the option for it and it really is bloody good, it has the 4 legs so its very sturdy you wont move much and the shape of the actual top is grea for thigh movements, i recomend the D-2000

dtran09

Backrest??
who leans back while drumming??
unless you like to sleep between songs??
I like Roc(k?) 'n' Socs which is kind of like a bicycle seat.

bam bam3

i have a roc n soc which is the best seat ive ever had it has he option to take the back rest of and on i always have it on i love the bounce you get from it when yyou move and it also allows me to play longer without getting tired definatly the best in my book

ratfinkdrummer

I like to use a Ludwig cannister throne in the standard 24" height. I find them to be very comfortable, perfect in height for me when playing a 24 or 26 inch kick, and very stable {no wobble}. I also have a 70s Ludwig Atlas lightweight base {lighter hardware is easier on your back when you have to carry it and load it, and that old Ludwig Atlas stuff is pretty strong, as is the Rogers stuff} with a custom cushion top that I found for $20. Very comfy and I use it when playing a smaller kit with a 20 or 22 kick.