What's your opinion on Mike Portnoy's Siamese Monster Kit?

What's your opinion on Mike Portnoy's Siamese Monster Kit?

• Stupid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Genius

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

racefan33

Let's start off with, I like Mike Portnoy. Think his playing/songwriting is great. Have CDs and DVD's of his. My only critique of his playing would be that I don't like the way he slaps at his drums instead of laying into them but that's just a personal preference.

But, I think that Siamese Monster Kit is just frikin' stupid. It's essentially like a guitar player having two guitars but only putting half of the strings on one guitar and the other half on the other one. The kit he was using before the SMK was pretty amazing and offered I think more options than either half of the SMK.

BillRayDrums

Eventually you come back to what is important- creating a good groove. The drummers who impressed me the most were those with next to nothing on stage, making it burst at the seams. That inspires me. All those superfluous drums & hardware, kinda like the "monster truck syndrome" and we all know what THAT'S about!

racefan33

DRUMSMYWIFE":3sy8a6ru said:
Yeah Mike Portnoy is an innovator! Now terry Bozzio's Kit, that's just stupid.
I don't want this to get into a slam this or that drummer or a debate on less is more. That said the above post is about a stupid as you can get. Do some learning. Bozzio is someone you should really respect. And if you have ever watched him play that kit and really heard what he is doing you would retract your statement and offer an apology.

Timekeep69

Mike kit is a combination of kits he uses in the studio. For simpler songs he uses a 5 piece kit, then for more complex songs he uses a larger kit. The Siamese monster is both of these kits combined.

mortem

DRUMSMYWIFE":25qwglfi said:
I'd say it's the other way around... anywho, I'm not into humongous kits.

anavrinIV

i like the siamese monster. i know that you cant play it all but he wrote his songs using different kits with different drum sizes, so why not have both kits on stage in order to play the songs properly? i respect guys who can play well as minimalists but portnoy and dream theater play over-the-top music and he plays to fit the band, and does a very good job imo. i like the set...not something everyone needs but something he uses effectively.

xdoseonex

DRUMSMYWIFE":yhyjgrqq said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...................................hold on,.................................... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....................................................wait wait..........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

break the prism

i've never been a fan of huge kits, but portnoy can really handle himself on that kit. bozzio's kit is meant to be played differently, with a large amount of melodic precision, which is what he does with it. both kits should be respected.

Rob the Drummer

Try playing DT with a 4 piece. The music is crazy, so the drums have to be too. I got no beef with that.

Terry Bozzio is one of the best.

seandude

xdoseonex":4yjtla57 said:
DRUMSMYWIFE":4yjtla57 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...................................hold on,.................................... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....................................................wait wait..........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ha?

christopherabruce

The MD reader's poll results on his main page seems more ridiculous than that huge kit. Someone at his level shouldn't take that stuff so seriously. Maybe it's an ironic joke on his part.
As far as the kit, it works with the music he plays. He's got a lot of talent, but I'd be very impressed if he'd play Dream Theatre music primarily on the small kit.

racefan33":33of5uws said:
Let's start off with, I like Mike Portnoy. Think his playing/songwriting is great. Have CDs and DVD's of his. My only critique of his playing would be that I don't like the way he slaps at his drums instead of laying into them but that's just a personal preference.

But, I think that Siamese Monster Kit is just frikin' stupid. It's essentially like a guitar player having two guitars but only putting half of the strings on one guitar and the other half on the other one. The kit he was using before the SMK was pretty amazing and offered I think more options than either half of the SMK.

kErmit vOn zOmbie

Large drum kits for the most part seem to have went the way of the dodo (extinct species of bird). They can be a lot of fun until it's time to move them yourself, then they suck! What do I think of his big kit.... nothing. Show me a guy who can cook on a 4 pc kit anyday. Big drum kits don't make you better player.

Johnny Cat

mortem":2n5wtms1 said:
DRUMSMYWIFE":2n5wtms1 said:
Definitely!

Not a fan of Portnoy, but I do appreciate the kit. I just think the nickname "Siamese Monster" is fucking stupid.

Martybabes

racefan33":1pdnyxsg said:
DRUMSMYWIFE":1pdnyxsg said:
I don't want this to get into a slam this or that drummer or a debate on less is more. That said the above post is about a stupid as you can get. Do some learning. Bozzio is someone you should really respect. And if you have ever watched him play that kit and really heard what he is doing you would retract your statement and offer an apology.
Exactly, drumsmywife, i would do some research before posting statements like that, the way bozzio uses his kit is amazing, he uses everypart of his kit to play melodies etc. he is a very complicated experienced drummer, a very under rated drummer in my opinion.

Danny Meazell

Nice kit, but I like Terry Bozzio's Kit even more. Most do not have the talent to play it. If you do I say great, if you , then don't knock it! I myself play a big kit and use everything, but not that big! I could use a few more toms though. all mine are 14" 15" and 16" and Floor are 16" 18" and 20" with 2 24" basses. I want a set of 26" basses! :lol:

Daza73

mortem":38ib1gam said:
DRUMSMYWIFE":38ib1gam said:
not a fan of big kits either and mike portnoy at that, his a good drummer just not a fan
he kinda over did it with the big kit thing

drumgroovy

Listen to the drumming on The Dillinger Escape Plan. Chris Pennie played with a snare, floor tom, bass drum with double pedals, two crashes, one ride and a hi-hat. That's as simple as one can get.

Yet his drumming is dynamic and amazing. That gains respect.

I'm not slamming Portnoy or anything... I like his versatility and style, but a huge kit is just not my thing. Even I play with just a 4 piece.