What's your favorite way to use rudiments in a song??

How many rudiments do you apply to your drumset playing?

• 5 or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6-10

• 11-26

• all 40

• There's 40 rudiments??? Really?? Forty?!?! No Way!!

• Total voters

Multibomber

We all know rudiments are important for improving your overall drumming skill and coordination and practicing rudiments on a pad really helps you in the long run blah blah blah... What I wanna know is how are YOU applying rudiments to your drumset playing in songs???Once again, I'll start first with an easy one.

Take rudiment #5 the ruff, which is a double stroke with your left hand and a single accent stroke with your right hand LLR

Now keep your left hand on the snare, but move your right hand to your closed hihats, and when you hit with your right hand, also hit your bass drum. Its a simple but great way to start a beat and probably is something you do already, but didnt know you were actually applying a rudiment to the drumset, did you? Now take your right hand and move it all over your kit, toms and cymbals. When hitting the cymbals, it works well as a transition for solos cuz it sounds like you're doin tons of crazy stuff when its actually very simple.

Ok now its your turn! Teach me how to play a rudiment on the drumset. Be specific, then expand on the idea so I can come up with new stuff.

gruntius

Dude, I love playing parradiddles, double parradiddles or parradiddlediddles between bass and snare while keeping right hand (hi-hat/ride) constant.

Makes great fills or beats.

iminaband

Flams on the toms during tom work realy beefs up what your doing.. Also FIVELETS are fun and realy hard to keep track of if you are listening to the drummer.. I like to play a fivelet (RLLRR LRRLL) using accents on the down beats using cymbals and kick and the inner partials using snare tom patterns...

When you hear it being played, its like... WTF?

Danny Cayocca

drummert2k

iminaband":1v7d1pkr said:
Also FIVELETS are fun and realy hard to keep track of if you are listening to the drummer.. I like to play a fivelet (RLLRR LRRLL) using accents on the down beats using cymbals and kick and the inner partials using snare tom patterns...

When you hear it being played, its like... WTF?

Danny Cayocca
i've been getting into the same idea a lot lately only i've been using eggbeaters sticking. easier for me mailny because i usually phrase it with in one beat so it tends to be thrown down fairly fast.

JohnRobMHIM

fivelets are fun =D

I never really use them in songs though, if I do it's usually RLRLR but played in a tom or snare roll there's not much distinction between 16ths, 16th5's, and 16thTrips unless you play them close to each other or at a slower tempo than I normally play at. (140-200)

I love throwing in flams in snare fills, adds a lot of flavor and power, and i throw diddles in every soft passage i get to. (think 311)

Flatliner

of the 40 rudiments as designated by PAS I've used them all at one point or another, though only probably about half of them I did knowing it at the time and the others after hearing them I realised what they were. I think Flam Taps are probably the rudiment I use the most though, I using them in accent patterns for quick snare fills, it spices them up a litttle more than the standard 4 16th notes on the snare to a crash on the one fill that gets used waaay to much imo.

Jaki

umm paradidcles on china's are very good during a thrashy set only if played inm the right place .. just sounds mean for a split secound..

trstn

I started rudiments long ago, but was to lazy to follow that track and had other things to do than drumming. I do regret now. I started a new band 3 month ago, brought me back to my moongel practice pad. Lets see in a few month :)

I use "Swiss army triplet" Rflam R L on tom fills a lot.

ultrastu

I honesty can't remember counting ever especially pointless things like single strokes. important as rudiments are i just try and incorporate them subconsciously rather than playing a doublleparadiddle or something during the chorus. Play for the song!! and RAWK!

iminaband

Swiss Army triplets are fun.. And they flow really good.. Joey Jordison uses them in a few songs and they sound killer.. I like to use them on snare and tom features/fills and some times using my hh as the down beat, making all flams and other parials on snare...

EGG BEATERS: The thing with egg beaters is, if you are playing a 5let, using the rrrll pattern it is easy to get confused/flow into the 24th triplet followed my 16 diddle .. rrrll cause the "eggbeater" feel.. the lumpy feel when you go triplet to 16ths...

Don't get me wrong, I think both methods are cool!!! But just letting you know the issues with the two, and how they get confused... Just have fun with them and try anything..

Try this: 5let into an eggbeater.. rllrr lllrr lrrll rrrll r

DC

drummert2k

iminaband":1b9bm80h said:
EGG BEATERS: The thing with egg beaters is, if you are playing a 5let, using the rrrll pattern it is easy to get confused/flow into the 24th triplet followed my 16 diddle .. rrrll cause the "eggbeater" feel.. the lumpy feel when you go triplet to 16ths...
a good exercise is to set your metronome and play a 16th note grid adding in the egg beaters. start with an egg beater and then play beats 2, 3, and 4 stright 16th notes.

than play the next phrase and move the beaters back a beat. so you have one beat of 16th notes, eggbeater, and 16th on beats 3 and 4. then repeat that all the way through putting the beaters on beat 3 and then beat 4. then do the same thing with a triplet grid adding the beaters in.

this really helps smooth it out and get a feel for the hand motion changes.

you just gotta remember that and eggbeater is nothing more than 5 hits within one beat. it doesnt effect anything that happenes before it or after it. one more hit than 16th notes, one less that 6's. with practice you can make it as fluent as just playing straight 16th's or triplets.

Alright, so I know I'm using more than one rudiment a LOT of the time, but I don't know what they're called. I just remember learning them.

One that i like to use to show off like I'm imitating a blast beat is I think the swiss army flam triplet or somethin' or other Rflam R L LFlam L R. I keep ALL the rights and lefts on the snare, to get the balst beat (which is the show odff thing cause the hands are switching off) and move the flam across the cymbals with the bass hitting on the same beat. so my hands look like they're all over the place and you hear the snare going.

Another favorite of mine is the double paraddiddle! I'll usually alernate on the hi-hat and ride/bell keeping a nicce groove with the bass and snare. My friends LOVE that groove the most.

And triplets ( R L L) with the Right accented and movved across the kit makes for nice little fills keeping the lefts on the snare played as ghost notes.

I use paradiddle, double strokes, different sticking to show off....yeah. I know there's more, and I'm working on learnin' 'em, but my buddy has my books and vids?!

MasterShake89

accents within and on triplets on cymbals with the bass drum backing it. jazzy feeling but i LOVE the way it sounds and the vibe it gives. pick up advanced techniques for the modern drummer and play thru some of their patterns using their accents as accents within a triplet, and for that accent pick a cymbal and back it with the bass drum, sounds amazing. or do the same accents with toms and a straight bass drum beat and it sounds great, especially when you get them up to a higher speed.