What's your favorite hardware brand? DW, TAMA, GIBRALTAR...

kiteboarder

Interesting question here. Most people don't get too excited about hardware as they do about drums or cymbals. I'm currently building a kit and I'm going with DW pedals and Hi-Hat stand. But for the rest of the stands I'm considering whether to go TAMA or DW. I really like the DW stuff, but my experience with TAMA hardware is great. So, what do you think?

xdoseonex

DW hardware is as good if not better than tamas. probly better. you might as well go with DW all around

Rob Crisp

I dunno, I have Roadpro hardware and it's really sturdy! The only dodgy stands I have are Pearl ones with hollow booms... :p

dammow

i have DW and PREMIER but i think GIBRALTER top end stands are very good too. And pretty cheap. BIG DOG also make affordable, sturdy hardware.

I think Taylor Hawkins uses gibralter now since he left Tama for gretsch.

DrumsPlus

I love DW's hardware. I have some Pearl hardware left over, but I have been switching it out slowly. It is heavier but everything is solid. Whatever you do, I wouldn't look at anything from PDP. I've personally had bad luck with them. I thought they would be good because of DW, but thing stripe, loosen up, and generally just break down with them.

rufus4dagruv

I like hardware that is sturdy enough to do its job but not be heavy for the sake of being heavy. I have a Pearl boom that I mount a crash and 2 drums on and a Tama RoadPro that I mount a crash and a tom on. The Tama is lighter than the Pearl, but not too light as to make me concerned about its stability. I really enjoy the quick release device that replaces standard wingnuts on the Pearl stand.

I have a Pearl HH stand that feels nice, but I wouldn't be opposed to replacing it with something lighter like the Gibraltar flat based stand. I have not played one so I do not know how they feel. I would have to get a feel for it before I made a purchase, I think.

I currently have a Pearl Eliminator kick pedal and an old Camco pedal. I love the Camco and the Pearl is nice. I like pedals that play light and I prefer the Pearl to the DW 9000. I also used an Axis for a while with both longboard and a regular X footboard. I like the direct drive, but the longboard felt extremely awkward when playing heel down. The regular foot board felt fine heel down, but there was a loud metal on metal clicking noise that seemed to come from the heel plate hinge. That's just no good. I tried my best to fix it, but it just didn't fly, so that got sold. Ideally, I would like to find another pedal that plays like my Camco, but is newer and can hold up to constant gigging.

For snare stands, I again prefer something light. The most important criteria is that the basket tilter cannot have teeth. I want to be able to position my snare exactly the way I want. I have a Yamaha stand I got for like $50 that does the job perfectly.

For the throne, 3 leg is the only way to go. With 4 or more legs, if you are on a surface that is not perfectly flat, you're going to wobble, and I'm not havin' that. I'm a big guy, so it will be double braced and have a low center of gravity. I use a threaded poll for adjustment and it works fine for me. I also prefer a round seat as opposed to a bicycle seat and I do not use a backrest. My posture is quite good as it is something I take very seriously while performing. My Dad has a bad back and I do not want to join him in his misery when it's hurting him.

I'm using Gretsch tom mounts with 12.7 mm rods. I prefer this size to 9.5 or 10.5 because they feel so much sturdier. Heavier, yes, but I'll trade the extra weight for the peace of mind they provide.

I think thats it. I guess. Sorry for the novel. :oops:

Tonyg41

In my experience with hardware I would have to say gibralter for racks and and stands is really up there but i also discovered Pacific makes some high end cymbal and snare stands and are cheaper then dw even though its same thing cause dw owns pacific. So, when I was all accoustic drums I had a gibralter rack and pacific heavy stands.

Rockula!

I like the Gibraltar Road Series rack gear as well as their other hardware because it holds up to my abuse and is less expenive than most
Plus, they tend to be able to accommodate just about any sized tube whereas some brands like Pearl only fit Pearl etc...

kiteboarder

dammow":2a7h383c said:
i have DW and PREMIER but i think GIBRALTER top end stands are very good too. And pretty cheap. BIG DOG also make affordable, sturdy hardware.

I think Taylor Hawkins uses gibralter now since he left Tama for gretsch.
Nice! I like Taylow Hawkins and I like Gretsch. Good move there. I've used Gibraltar stuff before and I quite like it. I used to have a rack made my them... Until I realized I like separate stands better. But is was a great rack nonetheless.

kiteboarder

DrumsPlus":134bnepz said:
I love DW's hardware. I have some Pearl hardware left over, but I have been switching it out slowly. It is heavier but everything is solid. Whatever you do, I wouldn't look at anything from PDP. I've personally had bad luck with them. I thought they would be good because of DW, but thing stripe, loosen up, and generally just break down with them.
Hehehe. I don't have that much experience with PDP hardware, but what I do have is not that great. I'm actually using a PDP throne at the moment... and last night after I finished my practice session, I walked up to my wife and said, "You know what, I wish I knew who is the guy who designed this drum throne. I would like to go up to him and kick him in the nuts!"

I mean, the stand is fine and the seat is ok. But, what the heck was the guy thinking with the bolt that holds the seat unto the stand. It's a simple windbolt that presses again the post! How stupid is that! At least put a clamp in there between the bolt and the post! The bolt goes loose constantly and wobbles like no other. I find myself leaning over constantly to re-tighten it. By the way, that's the first thing that's gonna be replaced.

Codymunzert

i have a pearl rite now, but are in hopes of getting a tama sometime in the future. it all depends on the style and genre you're playing and if its for gigs or recording

anavrinIV

i have all tama and gibraltar hardware on my yamaha set. i havce 4 tama roadpro boom stands, 1 snare stand also roadpro, and ic pedals and hh stand. i also have 5 gibraltar grabber arms (well, i will once i get the other 2 in). personally, i love my tama hardware. it has never once failed me and i have had 2 toms and 3 cymbals on a single stand before. also, the grabber arms are spectacular because they allow you to mount another cymbal on a boom arm without the expense, weight, or footprint of another stand. all in all, i will be mounting 10 cymbals off of 4 boom stands thanks to grabber arms and the fact that its possible to put 2 chinas under a single wing nut on a tama stand.

rritter

I haven’t used every brand but I can tell you Gibraltar is very good and reliable. I bought a new Gretsch kit 3 years ago with Gibraltar hardware and it hits the road almost every weekend. They are as good today as the day I bought them. I recommend it.

xdoseonex

i'v always liked dw hardware. till i got myself some pearl 1000 series hardware. I'v never seen stands with so much attention to detail

drumshark

Pay a lot of maney for anything and it will be good, but for the cheaper stuff, Tama and Mapex are great, but DW is always a good one to go with.

jnewlon_drum

i use PDP which is made by dw....i dont have nething bad 2 say about it...its sturdy...an pretty durable....im gona stick with dw?pacific hardware!! :D