What's your favorite bass drum beater, and why?

scrubs

I play mostly acoustic-based music and recently switched to the Vater Vintage Bomber (from the Gibraltar felt beater that came with my pedal). I am loving the Bomber. A soft attack with a nice round boom. I know that's probably not a sound most guys here are after, but it is working great for me.

What's your fave beater(s) and why? If you have any suggestions for other beaters that would work well in low-volume acoustic settings, that'd be cool, too. I'm specifically interested in the sound of the bundled dowel beaters by Pro Mark and Unigrip, since I play a fair amount with Hot Rods.

Alcyon

It's not for acoustic (I play metal with doublekick) but I play the danmar plastic beaters, kind of look like skateboard wheels... They have stars or iron crosses or whatever on them. They just have a good bounce and are light and responsive.

screamkevin

I play a Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide double pedal, and I've been using the standard Tama IC Beater. I'm rather curious about Speedball beaters, sounds kind of cool that they are self-aligning. But, I've never had a problem with the IC beaters slipping out of alignment, so I'm staying with the IC beaters.

Rockdrummer15

I use a DW beater with a plastic and felt side. It is kind of big and heavy, but the punch on it with a bass drum patch is amazing. It takes a little getting used to because of its weight, but it is a great beater in my opinion.

Rockula!

I am one of the few heavy drummers that like a felt beater
I hit hard enough to get a good punch but I dislike the "click" of a non felt beater

m

I use Axis Sonic Hammers
I like the extended forward angle they give me, was especially helpful when V-drumming because of the way the Roland KD120 was built, but they work fine on acoustics too.

scrubs

Have any of you Sonic Hammer users had your shin impaled by that rod? I'm scared to try them. They look dangerous.

Zim

SabianLudwigZildjianDW":20zfx0un said:
i play my 7002 Double Pedal with Iron Cobra Beaters. i always liked the Iron Cobra Beaters for some odd reason
I feel you brother. When I switched from iron cobra 900 doubles to dw 7002's I went and bought the iron cobra flat felt beaters and put em on my dw's great dw glide w/ the tama felt flat head beaters I fly now.

Howepirate

scrubs":369qj342 said:
Have any of you Sonic Hammer users had your shin impaled by that rod? I'm scared to try them. They look dangerous.
Lol most people who use axis have been double pedaling for a long time and use tools like hi spring tension and such so i should guess the beaters wont come back that far.

As for me i dont like the sonic hammers, i just switched back to my DW beaters and i couldnt be happier with the results i got from Axis pedals.

DW beaters FTW!

Furthermore, i think everyone should use a heavier beater or heavier stick. Think about the momentum brought about by weight. Obviously your heads arent set to dead flop so your gonna get some good rebound and with a heavier beater you can produce seriously fast results with the momentum and still hear the strokes.

Same with sticks for that matter! DM with 2B's FTW

m

scrubs":wkab99bb said:
nope, they don't come back that far- at least on my setup.

skitch

I switch back and forth depending on the gig. Most of the time, it is the DW beaters, but I use the Zoro beaters by Danmar some. Then occassionally, I will use the Vater vintage beater.

Vetis

I play with wood beaters. Nothing special, just your generic wood beaters. I used to play the Pearl 4 headed beater that came with my Pearl Eliminators, but I found those to be far too heavy for my liking. I couldn't really get my speed up that high with them. I switched to the light wood beaters, and now my kick sounds good feels amazing.

GrindheadJim

I used DW 5000 series beaters (12 years in total) until recently. Axis custom makes these 1 3/4" beaters that are like the Marksmen beaters that come with the X series, except bigger and heavier. I use those with some weights at the bottom, and I love 'em. If I didn;t have these, I would totally be happy with DW beaters.