What's your best drum story?

Timekeep69

Let's post everyone's best drum story. I know you have em!

Here's mine:

My old band Voodoo Temple was playing with an Aerosmith tribute band in San Diego one time that included Jerry Dixon and Erik Turner from Warrant, Joe LeSte from Band Tango and Randy Castillo was drumming. At load in, I got to talk to Randy for a little bit, had my picture taken with him etc, he was really cool.

We went on right before them and as we were playing our set, I looked over to my left and there was Randy watching me play. I just about dropped a stick. He gave me a thumbs up and watched the rest of the set. Me and a few of my bandmates hung out with Erik after the show, he was pretty tanked but cool. When they played "Train kept a rollin" they invited a friend of theirs onstage to play guitar, he was so drunk he fell over and almost fell into Randy's drumset. Erik though it was hilarious until someone pointed out that the guy was playing Erik's guitar.

dave lynch

Not sure what my best is but one night I had my legs slammed between two bumpers of a car and a truck..I decided not to go to the hospital cuz I was able to stand up after a while and I thought that they were just bruzed..The next day there I was hauling my dums up some stairs ( how ? I have no idea ) anyway then I set up and played..decided to go to the doctor cuz my leg hurt like hell and yep, one was broken...Ouch !!

drummer912

dave lynch":k8vcojq1 said:
Not sure what my best is but one night I had my legs slammed between two bumpers of a car and a truck..I decided not to go to the hospital cuz I was able to stand up after a while and I thought that they were just bruzed..The next day there I was hauling my dums up some stairs ( how ? I have no idea ) anyway then I set up and played..decided to go to the doctor cuz my leg hurt like hell and yep, one was broken...Ouch !!
dang u must be like He-Man not even noticing. or like chuck norris lol

dave lynch

To tell you the truth I had a feeling something was wrong...I'm a whimp when it comes to doctors and needles and stuff..haha..I was being optimistic...So no I'm not a Chuck Norris...!!

Rob the Drummer

I went to a System of a Down and Slipknot show a few years back. When Joey was doing his solo, John Dolmayan came out to watch. I was in the first row seating on top of the push in bleachers at Bryce Jordan Center at Penn State. I yelled John's name and he climbed up to me! I gave him a hug and congratulated him on being on the cover of Modern Drummer (as he was on the cover that month coincidentally). He thanked me and jumped back down. I thought that was pretty cool!

I got a phone call from Virgil Donati once. That was very cool! Some friends went and saw him at a clinic and did his master class. Afterwards they call me up and put Virg on the phone with me because at that point I was living across the country and missed it! Can't wait to meet him in person!

Yelling for Mike Mangini to do Fire Garden Suite at his clinic was pretty cool. He was very chill and down to earth! Dave Weckl was very cool as well. Going to see Hillary Jones tomorrow as well! It's great meeting your heroes and just great drummers!

DRUMSMYWIFE

yo therre was this luau at school and we played over the time limit. they shut us off during the second verse of this song so we knocked over some cymbals and drums and trashed the place. (no instruments were hurt during all this.)

MrBojengles

i was playing one of our songs at a back yard show.. my drumstick flew out my hand when i was reachin for a crash and hit my guitarist in the head and bounced really high in the air.. and the singer caught it...

ohhh boy.

i laughed .

dave lynch

MrBojengles":77n2o07h said:
i was playing one of our songs at a back yard show.. my drumstick flew out my hand when i was reachin for a crash and hit my guitarist in the head and bounced really high in the air.. and the singer caught it...

ohhh boy.

i laughed .
that's funny..haha..I dig rare moments like that !!!

I did something like that but I hit the bass player and it was on video..and yeah I laughed..LOL

Spydr2000

Well I was saving for a DW drum kit, and at a gig met this married chic who had a very rich husband who she hated... needless to say this drum kit I was saving for came up in our conversation and she gave me the rest of the money to buy it.

screamkevin

Opened for Warrant last summer (sans Jani Lane, who is not singing for the band anymore, Jamie St. James of Black-N-Blue is their singer, he's a dork), and we were about 20 minutes into our set, and there watching us was Erik, Steven, Jerry, and Joey. I was freaking out, but we made it through the set fine. After we were done, all the guys came over and congratulated us on our sound and our stage show, and told us that they were coming back to PA in Fall/Winter of 07, and they wanted us to open for them on all their PA shows. That was very cool.

Timekeep69

screamkevin":2e0umcom said:
Opened for Warrant last summer (sans Jani Lane, who is not singing for the band anymore, Jamie St. James of Black-N-Blue is their singer, he's a dork), and we were about 20 minutes into our set, and there watching us was Erik, Steven, Jerry, and Joey. I was freaking out, but we made it through the set fine. After we were done, all the guys came over and congratulated us on our sound and our stage show, and told us that they were coming back to PA in Fall/Winter of 07, and they wanted us to open for them on all their PA shows. That was very cool.
Erik and Jerry are both very cool.

phil-drummer

not really, but annoying , look at the peice of shit drum kit had to play a battle of the bands gig on , it was made up of various drum kits and wasnt that bad to play , but it sounded shit.

Shot with FinePix E550 at 2007-07-22

GB1Kenobi

There was a time from the late 1970's on through most of the 1980's that Max Roach was my prime motivator as far as music, drums, and spirit. In the early 1980's he came to town for a series of concerts, interviews etc.

A band I was in at the time was scheduled to open for a Max Roach drum solo concert. I was very nervous about hangin' with such an innovator. After his solo set we were all to join him on stage for a tune of his that we had "run down" prior to the concert to familiarize our selves with the "changes" etc.

Everyone took a solo but when it came time for his solo Max simply looked at me at me and motioned for me to go first. Gulp. So I did.

After the concert he took me aside and we hung out a bit. He could sense my nervous awe and did a pretty good job of just helping me chill out and relate drummer to drummer. We talked of the Bad-Asses of the drum world, the west African concepts of rhythm which still intrigue me to this day, and music and life in general. He said it'd been a while since he had been inspired as a result of what I had done during my solo. He had wanted me to go first cuz during the pre-concert rehearsal he'd heard me do some stuff that he said he wanted to check out before he solo'd! Whether it was a white lie or not...I didn't care. To me it was the inventor of the drumset solo piece, an innovator of "clean speed", 4 limb interdependence, drumset elegance and fire, a civil rights era firebrand, a heavy composer, a real heavy bandleader, and a drummer who has been crowned, not the King of Bebop Drummers but the King of Drummers giving little ol' me the thumbs up man to man, drummer to drummer. He advised me to keep doing what I was doing cuz it was worthy.

I hear that Max is not doing too well health-wise these days. Thank-you Max. I owe my livlihood to you. Freedom Now! We Insist! Drums [are] Unlimited thanks to you.

mheatwole

Meeting mike portnoy before their awake tour show was cool, and at the end of the show he threw me his stick. Having to go to get another drumset before a gig because I was locked out,and making it to the gig just in time was interesting. One time I played with the flu and was all better after. I guess sweating it out DOES WORK. And one he coolest memorys I have of playing live was at the belly up tavern in Solana beach Ca. My china cymbol fell off the stage during a song. In the song there was a 4 bar rest. I jumped off the stage like a jedi and somehow got the stand back on the stage jumped up myself and made it time to play the rest of the song. People freaked :) So many stories but thats my favorite.

I can relate to the cymbal crash story!
Once I was playing Killing In The Name Of with my garage band Revenge of the Awesome :)twisted:) and I was so into it I knocked a crash cymbal down when I hit it, and the bassist picked it up with his foot!

seandude

i was at the famious daves blues grill/show and it as open mike and im 14 so my mom talked to me into siging up and im nevers as hell but when they called my name i was about to get sick cause it was packed ut as i left my brother threw me his hat and said good luck budy and i put it on ackwards liek my favroite drummer chad smith the house drummer said if u need anyadvice im right here and after they were finsged tuining he started plaing and omseting clicked and i just jamed for 25 min!!!!!!!25!!!!!! and my family was just so happy and i was so happy i even broke a sick (on axedent )while i was playin and the drummer wa slike "omg good job brotherr!!!!!!!!!! ( im not even black! lol jk) it was so cool my fist gig ever!! it was the best exprence so far in my life

My best drum story must be after a gig to a showcase. We were playing good (at least I was I remember) it was one of those nights where my drum sticks found their way to the drums & cymbals much faster than they used to do, and the monitor sound was very, very good (and that dosen't happen very often) After the gig I went to the bar to have a beer. And then, suddenly, out of the darkest corner at the venue, an old rastafari man stood in front of me, grabbed my hand looked at me & said: "Yo man, you got rythm man - yeah" and then he was gone. It's almost 8 years ago, but I'll never forget!

kylevater

uhh im sure this happened to everybody at least once but when i play the sticks get so slippery from sweat that the fly out of my hand and shoot into the air lol

mikebodrums

Best story ever was in my old band setaside we played a frat party at a bar here and the wet t-shirt contest turned into butt naked contest it was awesome....

Rem

snapped 3 sticks during a solo, 2 at the same time
it was hilarious.. and they werent even my sticks