What's wrong with Lars?

ChrisNichols

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I'm just not clear on it. And please, PLEASE don't fight about this, I must ask that this thread get shut down if anyone starts getting aggressive towards anyone else.

But I'm just not completely clear on what's wrong with Lars Ulrich? I mean, he's not my favourite (I don't even listen to much Metallica), and he's not the best out there, but in his genre I reckon he's one of the better ones. He's not totally over-the-top and overdone like a lot of his metal contemporaries, but neither does he sit back and take backseat to the other guys, like a lot of people seem to do. And he has done some pretty cool stuff.

When I do listen to Metallica it's actually mostly for the drumming, but like I say I'm not that interested in them in the first place. Maybe I haven't listened to enough to judge?

I dunno. Enlighten me. :D

EOTE_drummer

absolutely nothing is wrong with him, he might have an attitude though. but thats no reason to take it out on his music. he inspired most metal drummers today. alot of people the whole reason they "got into" rock was because of metallica. i think he plays exactly what the music calls for.

he has my respect.

break the prism

One of my problems with him is that he stopped making up new drum beats after the Black Album. He used to have some pretty good beats in the early days.
If you watch interviews with him, he's a total jackass. But that's Metallica.

Metallica is a handful of good musicians who are jackasses.
They are also a good band that now plays bad music.

drummer912

i agree, he has talent and plays just right for their genre. He does seem to have an ego, but o well. there is a video of youtube of him letting a child with a mental disorder play on his drum set, and lars kinda teaches how to play a little of one of their songs, so he has some heart.

ChrisNichols

Lol yeah I noticed in a few interviews he's got quite the attitude. But yeah, agreed, that doesn't affect his music, and that's really the band's 'thing'. Like the boys from Oasis.

pphunk

I don't know if i just grew up or if Metallica just got worse, but their music isn't inspiring to me any more. Part of that has to do with Lars not really being inventive behind the kit anymore. A few months back i watched the Some Kind of Monster DVD and there's a part where they're thrashing like the days of old and afterwards he complains about how hard it is for him so instead of toughing it out and learning the part anyways, he changes it to make it easier on himself. That's pretty much the dictionary definition of pussy right there. At least i think that's from that dvd, maybe it was just a bad dream. Oh, and the snare sound on St. Anger. Bob "Cock" Rock is the worst thing that ever happened to that band.

Timekeep69

The problem with Lars is that he isn't that great of a drummer. Metallica has used Pro Tools to correct his drum tracks since the programs inception. To this day he can't play the double bass break in One live.

I used to have an MP3 where Lars screwed up so bad in "For whom the bell tolls" they had to stop.

bapudi

once he started bitching about music rights then he found out he wasnt making money off there cd sale any way he droped it.

and i've seen his drum solos and he does nothing.

stump

Timekeep69":2ibcf08r said:
The problem with Lars is that he isn't that great of a drummer. Metallica has used Pro Tools to correct his drum tracks since the programs inception. To this day he can't play the double bass break in One live.

I used to have an MP3 where Lars screwed up so bad in "For whom the bell tolls" they had to stop.
I've seen that vid. Talk about a disaster piece. In Lar's defense though, maybe he realizes that his abilities have decreased and he does what he has to do to keep things going. I say this because I myself suffered shoulder injuries over the years that have forced me to change how I play. I can't hammer away and fly around the kit like when I was younger. Not making excuses for Lars but this is my case. Lars does lack what he used to possess though. Could also be that his heart is no longer in it like it was. Whole lot of could be's ya know? Peace on ya!

Alcyon

Timekeep's got it right. And Justice For All... is Metallica's most technical album imo and you can hear him struggling to keep up with the double kick - on a STUDIO album. I learned to play drums from Metallica at first... He is a master at playing to the song, not to himself, but his drumming is very sparse and he isn't technical in the slightest. He's pretty good at what he does, but then, I'm pretty sure almost any other drummer out there could play anything he can. Joey Jordison played a couple tracks at a show of theirs I think and he did a much better job... And I HATE Slipknot.

pphunk

I will say this about Lars though, if it wasn't for him i'd probably be a guitarist. I had an older brother that would listen to Metallica religiously. I soon joined the cult and started buying every record they had. I fell in love with Ride the Lightning and Justice and while watching the Binge and Purge videos i decided that i wanted to take sticks and bash metal just like him. If i were ever to meet him i'd forget all my gripes and thank him just for that.

ZaQ[MTG]

There are younger and better drummers out there. If you take what lars is doing now and comparing it to the musicianship of some other metal and hardcore drummers of today...there is no comparison.

A perfect Example is Jordan Mancino From "As I Lay Dying".

That Cat can play metal/hardcore. Hes Flawless and to top it off one of the most inovative drummers today.

Lars cant compete.

Assback

There's nothing wrong with Lars' drumming. I think he's just a wee bit over rated but I can dig it. Old Metallica's tight. Lars Ulrich is just a plain ol, run of the mill douch bag. He's a prick and an asshole so yeah, thats whats wrong with Lars

pphunk

ZaQ[MTG said:
":206alh4g]There are younger and better drummers out there. If you take what lars is doing now and comparing it to the musicianship of some other metal and hardcore drummers of today...there is no comparison.
Well i'm not ripping on metal or hardcore kids when i say this, but playing extremely fast and loud doesn't make you a great musician either. Playing what the song calls for and being able to play any type of music, not just metal and hardcore, is what makes a drummer a great musician. The same would go for a jazz drummer who can't play rock and roll or hip-hop.

Dusteroo

Lars is arrogant, meanwhile he's dogmatic and arrogant about his style and (lack of) skills. His style is tasteless and bland.
There's nothing particularly special about him.
He's way over-glorified, and in the process, he's also managed to monopolize on much of the music market ~ so basically he's rewarded for de-evolving the spirit of music, and the potential for drummers and music itself.
He really lost my respect when he started suing people(and childrens' parents) left and right --for massive amounts of money-- for downloading his music.
Sure, he's a cultural icon ~ but question even the culture he has created.. and the philosophy it's built around.

pphunk

Dusteroo":14v72pbu said:
He really lost my respect when he started suing people(and childrens' parents) left and right --for massive amounts of money-- for downloading his music.
Yeah which i find absolutely hilarious. Metallica never would have gotten anywhere had they not taken part in tape trading back in the early 80's. They were giving their music away and encouraging people to copy it and pass it around to everyone they knew. Back when it could help them, they were all about it. Now that they're rich and don't need the money, they feel that they're being cheated by those of us who would have been helping them out back when they needed a hand.

I'm sorry, but this whole Lars thing really burns my ass. Not just because he's been my hero since I was 3 and was the whole reason why I started playing drums, but it's because people are so ignorant and automatically assume when they don't really know.
The Napster thing: Lars sued Napster and did all the things he did, NOT because he was a greedy asshole like alot people make him out to be. This is what really happened. Somebody stole some unreleased music/demo from Metallica, somehow got a hold of it (God only knows how!) and in between that person, and Napster, it got spread around. It was something STOLEN from Lars and Metallica, and was distributed without authorization. How would you feel if somebody stole your next song that you were working on, and spread it around illegally and made claims that "This is the next "(your band's name) album, this is what it's gonna sound like." You'd be mighty pissed! Because it was theft! Point made, case closed.
The Cut and Paste thing: I've elaborated on this before. The whole reason why Lars and Bob Rock "cut and paste" the drum parts, is NOT because Lars is incapable of playing them. It's called EXPERIMENTING! They took numerous takes of every song on the Black album, and then took the best parts, and the parts with the best feel, and put them together. It was about capturing the best feel and groove. There is nothing wrong with it. I do it sometimes also. Just because he doesn't nail that perfect take in one take, does not give people grounds to sit there and say "Oh, he did it 5 million times and cut and pasted, so he must suck and be incapable of playing the parts." That is just ignorant. Point made, case closed
Lars may not be the flashiest, but he plays for the song and the feel and the groove and does what is called for and is creative, that is what matters. And he does a fine job at it.
Also, over the years, yes his live playing has slackened, but you gotta take into consideration that he has hadshoulder/rotator cuff injuries over the years, and he's aging. He's in his 40's now. All those are a factor. And you would be the same way, and probably will be the same way when you get to be his age, or if you suffer injuries like that, it will affect your playing in some way.
Sure he may have an ego, but you know what? He has every right to have one. Look at him, he's one of the most famous people in Rock/Metal. Metallica is one of the, if not the biggest band in the world. He's on top of the world. And you would have an ego too if you were in his position. He's up there, we are all down here.

So please, get your facts straight and take some more consideration, and really look beyond the surface, before you start judging a book by it's cover.

I rest my case.

Motley Tshirts

His timing is really not that good, and he's a total ass. I know being an ass doesn't affect your music, but you did ask what's wrong with him. I can't stand to listen to him talk anymore!!