What's with singer's and attitudes?

stump

We had a show last night that we played with 3 other acts scheduled. Well the last act, an accoustic act, had a singer that was just a prick. Why put an accoustic act after a full band??...Don't know. Anyways...I don't know what his deal was but we had the place jumping for over an hour and I guess that he maybe felt intimidated. Our manager comes over and asked if they could use some of our equipment, including my kit, to do a full band set. After speaking with the guys in the other band, minus the singer, we were cool with that. The understanding was "you break, you buy." Everyone was cool with that except guess who? Mr. "I'm to good" walks out of the show. WTF man? I am proud to play in an ego free band and maybe that's why I just wanted to plant that guy. But come on. Sorry to vent but I thought that we were reasonable. We've only been at it for umpteen years. On a positive...we gladly excepted the money that they did not get. :D . Any similar occurences? Peace on ya!

DrumFiend0206

I haven't had anything like that happen, but my friend have had almost the exact same thing happen, but with a guitarist from a band that went on after them.

My friends band did their thing, rocked the hell out of the place, and had all their friends inside. But after their set, most of the people in the crowd left(most of them had evidently only come to see them.) The guitarist of the band that was going on next started literally jumping around and screaming that it "wasn't fair" that people were leaving. This guy was a prick, thought he was gods gift to rock and roll. I try to stay for every band that plays that night, just out of courtesy, but I left after I saw that guy complaining and bitching just not cool lol.

And that's really stupid for that singer to get up and leave after you and your band were gonna let them use YOUR equipment lol. That's just pretty much a wtf moment lol.

SGarrett

Singers, like lead guitarists, tend to be egomaniacs. I think it just comes with the gig. :D

I was a somewhat similar situation a few years back. The band I was with got booked to play a show with another two bands at a coffee shop. The turn out wasn't what one of the singers wanted so he bailed on the entire gig. That band still went on with a 13 year old hear fanboy singing. It ended up being a pretty good gig.

rufus4dagruv

stump":245sd2iw said:
I guess that he maybe felt intimidated.
This wouldn't surprise me. I've played in situations where the band following us on the bill either was a little less experienced or didn't draw much of a crowd. They usually react in one of two ways; they are either humbled and very complimentary to us or they become very stand-offish. The first reaction is usually one of the more mature minded individual/band and the later, not so much.

They would not have approached you guys about using your equipment if you didn't just tear the roof off the place (congrats for that!), and the egomaniac....er...lead singer just could not swallow his wounded pride. It's a shame because his actions are going to end of reflecting negatively on their band as a whole.

break the prism

the singer of my old band was a prick. there was a show where the length of your set was determined by how many tickets your band sold, and we didn't sell that many because it was in a town pretty far over and this was back when our friends couldn't drive. though we played well, our sales only got us enough time for three songs. our singer all of a sudden freaked, threw down his guitar, and started kicking monitors and drums over (the drums were not mine, but they weren't his either).

GiveItAll

im so glad the singer in my band is such a laid back guy hes awesome, and i have the same policy with my set if people want to use it i always tell them thats fine and dandy but if you break it you buy it.

we had a crazy occurance with an entire band of egomaniacs, we booked a show with about 6 bands we told each band they got a half hour set because of time restrictions set by the promoter. the second band that went on pretty much ignored everything we said and played for nearly an hour ( and they were a cover band doing alanis morisette crap) by this time the promoter was reaming out my singer for not moving the bands fast enough and said if we didnt cut there sets that he wasnt going to let us play so we had to cut everyone down to 20 minutes so of course everyone was pissed.

needless to say we will NEVER book another show with that band or at that venue it was ridiculous the way we were treated

SINISTER

We played a show at a community center band shell once........RUN BY NOOBS!!!!! They didn't know how to set up a PA or even an amp(haha i know funny right) so when the first band started (singer was one of the dudes running the show) the singer freaked out on literally everyone in a whiny fit of rage and stomped away like a crying kid in the cereal isle . OUR band followed them mic'd the KICK DRUM and VOX ran the board ourselves and ROCKED THE PLACE!!!!!.............being a metal band we had some choice words for the dude at the end of our set.........he spit at our guitar player/singer afterwards earning himself a running double-footed drop kick off stage to the chest delivered by yours truly ME!!!!!

gas in the band van- $20
case of cheap beer- $15
sandwiches- $5
Drop Kicking a whiny green-haired singer with a bad attitude- PRICELESS

McForman

SINISTER":24o4g2lb said:
We played a show at a community center band shell once........RUN BY NOOBS!!!!! They didn't know how to set up a PA or even an amp(haha i know funny right) so when the first band started (singer was one of the dudes running the show) the singer freaked out on literally everyone in a whiny fit of rage and stomped away like a crying kid in the cereal isle . OUR band followed them mic'd the KICK DRUM and VOX ran the board ourselves and ROCKED THE PLACE!!!!!.............being a metal band we had some choice words for the dude at the end of our set.........he spit at our guitar player/singer afterwards earning himself a running double-footed drop kick off stage to the chest delivered by yours truly ME!!!!!

gas in the band van- $20
case of cheap beer- $15
sandwiches- $5
Drop Kicking a whiny green-haired singer with a bad attitude- PRICELESS

that's so tight... I've always wanted to straight up dropkick someone in the chest.

Llama_Dude

There is honestly nothing more humbling than being a bass player.lol.
I've played bass in alot of bands and just recently left one becuase, guess what? Our lead singer thought she WAS the band could do want she wanted and not what she didn't want. We had a PAYING gig at a party and literally the day before she called and said " I really don't want to sing tomarrow I've been really tired lately and I don't really want to play." so I had to call the kid who's party we were supposed to play, and told him we would a month ago, and tell him we couldn't. And what really made me mad is once we had a gig and she made our drummer who is her brother, and who had freaking mono, play an hour long gig.

Moral of the story: Chicks=Difficult, Lead Singers=Difficult, Lead Guitarists=Difficult.
Add them all together and you get an Attention hogging, stuck up, Prima donna that thinks they are a goddess and everyone should bow down to them.

ahhhh... venting!

SocKeT

Everyone who has ever been in a band has had to gone through egotistical or completely wasted lead singers, i think it is wrote in stone somewhere lol. I saw a thing on guitar hero that said if the lead singer isnt happy then nobody is happy

Lancelot Frosty

I'm stuck in a band that plays music that I don't really like.
Thing is, the lead singer's a good friend of mine, so me and our lead guitarist have been putting up with his crappy singing.
And he's tonedeaf. O_O
I left the band once and he cried. :lol:
Sucks, really. And now he's getting cocky. Thinks he can actually sing-thinks he's better than the lead singer of a band here that's been getting gigs.
Unlike us. Hah.
Pity.

I think lead singers just really get cocky cause they're the leading men. Can't be helped.
I envy you guys here who have laid-back leading men. Hard to come by.

bapudi

the guitarist in my band has a bad ego problem and blames his faults and problems on every one else or me sence im keeping every thing solid for him to lay his shit on.

sadly every time he bitches at me i play more showman style and just make every thing crazy. it makes him more pissed than he was before but he cant find any one else to work with and no one else wants to be in his band.

so it works out nice.

the best part is tells me the guitar player tells me the drummer how to play my parts and how i should be doing thins "he never once played or knows shit about drums" really reallly tells me that the beats i play are wrong.

this is why i hate people.

stump

Don't get me wrong... our band is tight and leaves ego at the door step. We are all vocal and will set you straight when attitude rears it's evil head. This prick was in another band.... thank goodness. Peace on ya!

GiveItAll

our new bass player has been kind of ridiculous we're all over 21 and our guitarist is 19 hes a good kid a little a.d.d. at times but sticks with shit...everytime the bass player screws up rather then man up and say oh well my fault i screwed up (which we all tend to do and admit to) he just blames the guitar player because GOD FORBID he were to admit it was his fault lol

ChrisNichols

Moral of the story: Chicks=Difficult said:
Well that's not quite true...the lead singer/rhythm guitarist in my band is a babe, and she's easily the coolest one in the band. Lead guitarists can be a bit of a case study unfortunately...

One in particular I've known. One of those guys who, for example, is always the first one to hand out blame but hardly pulls his own weight, loves criticizing (often most unconstructively), skips practices because he's 'tired as fuck' (even when we have a gig coming up in a few days), gets all high and mighty when someone suggests a cover song that he thinks is 'overplayed' (and thus, beneath him), and laughs at ideas he doesn't like instead of courteously explaining that he doesn't like. Arguably the most annoying thing he does is spends half our practice time working on his 'tapping', even when we're trying to have a discussion or we're all telling him to lead a song in...fuck!

Guitarists!