What's the worst set you've ever played on?

necroman138

I played a set where the second tom was now the bass drum, and it was proped up on a cinder block. Whenever you pushed the bass pedal it got stuck under the tom rendering it useless. the springs on the snare were loose no matter what, that was pretty much the whole set. it only had one cymbal and you couldn't hear it over anything.

drkilldrmz

My first kit was a remo malibu. This thing had clip on heads, and was by Far the worst kit ever. tin foil hardware...

Dee

Well,

worst kit i have ever played on for sound quality has to be a beginner CB kit, but i played a gig a few weeks back with my band and we was doing a support slot, the drummer from the headlining band let me use his kit on one condition... "DON'T ALTER ANYTHING!" So i had respected his wishes, but Oh my god, it was the worst set up ever! Even the pro's would have had trouble playing it, that would have to be the worst kit i have played on for comfort, it didn't sound too good either, and get this... It was a mapex Saturn!!! Shocking eh? Just a guy with money and no clue!

iminaband

worst kit ever...... TAMA ROCKSTAR..

I have played on kits that are litteraly held up by ductape, kits that don't have logos, kits older than me... But the worst sounding kit (especialy if the owner does not tune or use good heads) was the Tama Rockstar... All you Tama lovers, don't get mad, just get SONOR :)

Danny Cayocca

break the prism

back when my band first started out i played on a friend's kit which still had the stock heads, cymbals, and hardware. the heads weren't even normal drum head material. the cymbals were keyholed and cracked and sounded like they were wrapped in tape and the hi-hat clutch was stripped. all of the hardware was flush-based so the cymbal stands and snare stand kept tipping over. the snare cords were loose and the snare-side head had a huge tear in it.
and i like a little resonance in my drums...but every time i hit a tom on this kit you heard nothing but "flaaaaaaaah" from the snare.

meinlplayer

My first kit in junior high was a pulse that i got... it came with cymbals (hahaha, more like tin cans) and I didn't have the money to replace cymbals OR heads... TERRIBLE.

ultrastu

you would have though with decent middle kits they could make the lower end kits to a bit more of an acceptable standard you have the choice of rubbishy low end kits or very good mid range kits it doesn't seem fair.

screamkevin

Worst one I ever played on was my high school's set of 1975 Ludwigs. Silver sparkle, single headed garbage cans. I re-headed them at my own expense and they still sounded like crap. I think that was the beginning of my disdain for Ludwig drums. I know they have some good drums out there now, but I won't buy 'em, and I wouldn't get paid to play them.

insultinjury

Wow so many people dislike CB drums so I dont feel bad saying I dont either... I play at this little bar that already has a CB set and I swear I will start bringing my own. And the cymbals are almost brown ther are so out of shape. maybe I can tune it and shine it up so it will sound like something...

Dee

insultinjury":2lvfx8zg said:
Wow so many people dislike CB drums so I dont feel bad saying I dont either... I play at this little bar that already has a CB set and I swear I will start bringing my own. And the cymbals are almost brown ther are so out of shape. maybe I can tune it and shine it up so it will sound like something...

Haha, yeah, they are shocking!

screamkevin

insultinjury":jmyujfw0 said:
You can shine a turd all you want.... :lol:

ultrastu

yeh not much point i think there is so much emphasis on shining a turd as you put you might as well save up all that money on pointless things like extra toms ect and get a mid level kit its really worth it.

insultinjury

screamkevin":dddqm6zu said:
insultinjury":dddqm6zu said:
You can shine a turd all you want.... :lol:
Wouldnt the turd fall apart? They always do when i try .....

mute

agreed, cbs are horrible.

the worst set i ever played on, though, was my first. i bought it from the drummer of my first band. it didn't sound too bad but i had to use a lot of rope to set it up. setting up was a bitch and it would never hold for more than three songs. having your toms and cymbals falling over in the middle of songs sucks.

insultinjury

mute":4gq3tlxp said:
agreed, cbs are horrible.

the worst set i ever played on, though, was my first. i bought it from the drummer of my first band. it didn't sound too bad but i had to use a lot of rope to set it up. setting up was a bitch and it would never hold for more than three songs. having your toms and cymbals falling over in the middle of songs sucks.
holy crap man you just reminded me of a set my brother bought me..... it was at a yard sale or something but the water damage was so bad that the wood was crumblib and the first time i hit a head the stick just went right through with a THUNK