Whats the best way you think to practice? And how do you?

BillRayDrums

Focused practice is best. Spending 30 minutes on a focused concept is much more developmentally sound than sitting down for 3 hours just jamming out.

Conversely, if you spend 45 minutes on a focused concept then go and jam out for 15 minutes afterwards, you've just undone the work you did. Keep that mindspace intact, let what you worked on absorb. Go back later on and jam out, but don't do it right after a focused session.

Read "Body-Mind Mastery" by Dan Millman.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Mind-Mas...4908859?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183965833&sr=8-1

BillRayDrums

break the prism":3vklz6hs said:
DrummerWithNoJive":3vklz6hs said:
every great drummer practiced rudiments, no matter what genre you are in neil pert, chris adler, chad smith, buddy rich anybody you idolize... practices rudiments constantly, you may think it wont help, but if you dont practice rudiments you will get to be good at a certain point, and not get any better. trust me.
with one exception. buddy rich's practice came only from band rehearsals and gigs.
Buddy Rich was a prime example of "developing the demand". Case in point- I got a call about 8 years ago that was like "Hey can you play Latin Jazz? We need a new drummer for Wednesday nights". Lessee....steady gig, off-night, only thing between me and a paycheck is a few rhythmic concepts "Of course I can play latin jazz" is what I said.

Soon as I hung up the phone it was like "oh shit" so I went out and learned some basics out of the collection of Chuck Silverman books I had.

Buddy Rich was something of an anomaly- his talent was not so much drums but rather the absolute devotion and headstrongness towards an end result. Could Buddy play? Hell yes!! Was he the greatest drummer of his time? Many would argue that he still is the greatest drummer that ever lived. His impact was cataclysmic, and even though he's been dead for 20 years people STILL talk about him. Buddy believed he was the WORLD'S GREATEST DRUMMER, and indeed he was. No one would argue with him over that!! He just knew that he was, there was no doubt in his mind, and as a result no one else could refute that fact. The drums were merely a vehicle to transport his personality.

Furthermore, I played a church gig on Saturday that had this guy as guest speaker. Get this- the dude had no arms, no legs (NO his name was not BOB) but guess what? You'd never know it because he did everything for himself!! Brushed his teeth, shaved, even went swimming AND handled his email/internet! He had this little flipper appendage underneath him that had fingers of sorts..He was a severely deformed person that upon observing him do his daily routine, you completely looked past his handicap and realized that 99% of "normal" people are handicapped....in their minds. It was a real eye-opener. I'll try and find his name and any info on him and post it.

drummer4thefreaks

DrummerWithNoJive":3etror4l said:
right hand |x-x-xx-x-x-xx-x-|x-x-xx-x-x-xx-x-| (basic cowbell or clave pattern)

left hand |x--xx--xx--xx--x|x--xx--xx--xx--x| (simple bossa bass pattern)
That's one of the things i do too lol :D

triggagnomic

I normally warm up with a few rudiments..... just to get in the groove..... then I have a play through a few genres to keep my independence/interdependence on track. Then I start work. I mostly work from books or stuff I've transcribed, so I work to a click.... all the time! I practice for a minimum of 2 hours a day. I have about 5 or 6 books on the go at any one time, so I try to be efficient in how I play. I always try to play a mixture of stuff, so I'm always learning new facets of the styles I play. I tend to spread my workload so that I study specific technique and generic rules. If I have a gig or I'm playing for a band, I tend to write the charts or practice them before my other stuff. When I've done my work, I have a 'freeplay' where I explore the ideas I had during practice, and try to work them out. This also helps me prioritise during my next practice. I have a digital kit as well as my acoustic kits so I can play pretty late into the night. It's the only way I find enough time....... :shock:

Brother_Bong

pnwelliott1":27zp0k4v said:
I usually do some 8's on my marching snare, then I hit the kit with a click track. People who practice with click tracks get way better, way faster.

Oh ya, and I practice my rudiments a lot. Its essential.
Word on the Travis quote!