Whats the best way to work a stain into wood

kylevater

pour grape juice on it
then wipe alot with a towel
but watch out, my mom got mad at me for staining the carpet like that

stump

If you are refering to shells get with timekeep and i'm sure he can give you the run down. Peace on ya!

Timekeep69

It depends on what kind of stain your working with. Stain paste is a little easier to work with but if you use water based or alcohol based, this will work too.

1. Sand the shell with the grain, staring with 100 grit and work your way up to 220 grit.
2. Get some pre stain wood conditioner apply a coat, sand with 220 grit.
3. Get and apply sanding sealer, sand again
4. apply stain.

Hope this helps!

JAdrums2k

Timekeep69":3jrmto86 said:
It depends on what kind of stain your working with. Stain paste is a little easier to work with but if you use water based or alcohol based, this will work too.

1. Sand the shell with the grain, staring with 100 grit and work your way up to 220 grit.
2. Get some pre stain wood conditioner apply a coat, sand with 220 grit.
3. Get and apply sanding sealer, sand again
4. apply stain.

Hope this helps!
good advice......

ALSO
1. when you apply the stain start lightly and evenly making sure you wipe off the excess
2. a couple coats is probably necessary to get the tone you're looking for, but keep in mind that when laquer is applied it will deepen the color and the grain... so don't worry about achieving the right tone with stain alone.
Stain is permanent so work careful

I have a question as well.

My kit has a cheap plastic wrap on it and I was wondering, if I take it off and try to stain it, will it come out okay looking?

Timekeep69

x_dont_even_ask_x":30gbc6g7 said:

My kit has a cheap plastic wrap on it and I was wondering, if I take it off and try to stain it, will it come out okay looking?

It depends. Some companies don't use a finishing ply for kits that they wrap. A majority of the time they won't use a lacquer grade outer ply either so it's really a gamble as to whether you can or not and unfortunately, you won't really know until you remove the wrap.

I have seen some lower end kits with beatiful grains underneath the wrap but I think that it's the exception, not the rule.

Brother_Bong

Timekeep69":3lkqn3fd said:
x_dont_even_ask_x":3lkqn3fd said:

It depends. Some companies don't use a finishing ply for kits that they wrap. A majority of the time they won't use a lacquer grade outer ply either so it's really a gamble as to whether you can or not and unfortunately, you won't really know until you remove the wrap.

I have seen some lower end kits with beatiful grains underneath the wrap but I think that it's the exception, not the rule.
As a project for our just starting out drum company, my partner removed his wraps and varnished his bare shells. Didn't come out too bad (see pics at the newconcept myspace-hyperlink below) but we did notice that the outer ply was a little rough.