What's the BEST way to stop "WHAT'S THE BEST"

What is the BEST drum accessory ever made?

• The rubber feet on the ends of cymbal stand legs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cymbal Felts

• Stick Holders

• Fake Zebra Fur Drum Thrones

• STALE BEER

• Super Glue

• Stick Wrap Tape

• Garbage Bag Drum Cases

• A baby's arm holding an apple

• Total voters

zen_drummer

OK, I'm so sick of the posts that start out "What's the BEST" and "WHO'S THE BEST" and we must not forget "Gumby Vs. Pokey" threads.

Aren't you guys getting tired of it too?

Can we stop asking if Thomas Lang is the best or if Neal Peart is a GOD?

There HAS to be a better way to spend our time here than discussing how Neil Peart wasn't even a pimple on the ass of Buddy Rich...

Whos is better... Ringo or the REV?

Who makes the best DUCT TAPE?

What's cooler, Terry Bozzios nipple ring or Thomas Langs bow tie?

Can we talk about stuff that matters?

Shalaq

You really can't ;) The "What's the best ..." is just a list of everyone's tastes in drums hardware etc. I think they can be usefull, because they are like a "Hey, check this out" list. If someone says that for example PaisTe 20 inch signature ride is the best ride ever, then I just note that it might be actually worth to check it out in a store or at least on the PaisTe site :)
I think I'll list all "the best" topics, so it'll be in one place when someone needs it.
PS the best drum accessory- the almighty drum key :)

Johnny Cat

zen_drummer":1vr2lxqn said:
What's cooler, Terry Bozzios nipple ring or Thomas Langs bow tie?

Can we talk about stuff that matters?
Ok I just fell off my chair laughing at that. Hillarious!!

And very good post.

zerodogma

I don't know why those "best drummer" posts actually come up anyway.... I am obviously the best drummer on the planet -- living or dead. ;-) Too bad I don't have nipple rings or own a bow tie.

Oh yea... anyone wanna play my 47" Ultra Super Custom Ping Ride?

Gotta go... my fans are banging the door down.

(super post zen...)

screamkevin

Shalaq":1ou2d2c3 said:
You really can't ;)

Um, sorry, Shalaq, but you're wrong. That's what Forum Moderators are for. To weed out spam, junk, and bad posts. This is a moderated board. It's up to the Mods to weed out the crap, and the overwhelming feeling is that the "What's The Best" threads are just that...crap.

I discover a lot of cool stuff here, and have some great conversations, but the "What's the best" posts make me want to leave the forum permanently. Sorry, but that's just how I am.

Flatliner

Hard to say what the best way is.

But I would like them to stop.

Instead telling me someone is the best, (which tells me nothing and won't really help me in anything but wasting my time) perhaps poeple can instead focus on the positive things a drummer does(Like insert_name has a great shuffle, and insert_name has a great way of ending/starting fills, or how clean insert_names double-strokes with their feet are) which actually helps poeple who may not have heard of the musician's playing before and are just starting get excited about checking these players out.

Or just give them a thread adn sarcasticly tell the poeple posting in it that they may indulge in their childish desires there and nowhere else (or maybe in the off topic area since it is after all off topic)

PS-Bow-tie kick's nipple-ring's ass any day of the week.

zen_drummer

I have some great ideas for new threads:

1: Who makes the best cymbal wing nuts?

2: What drummer makes the best buffalo style chicken wings?

3: If you could be any animal, what would you be? (I would be Lars Ulrich...)

Shalaq

screamkevin":1j3wio2c said:
Shalaq":1j3wio2c said:
You really can't ;)

Um, sorry, Shalaq, but you're wrong. That's what Forum Moderators are for. To weed out spam, junk, and bad posts. This is a moderated board. It's up to the Mods to weed out the crap, and the overwhelming feeling is that the "What's The Best" threads are just that...crap.

I discover a lot of cool stuff here, and have some great conversations, but the "What's the best" posts make me want to leave the forum permanently. Sorry, but that's just how I am.
You're right. I could delete these topics in a second. But do I really want to? I really like the enthusiasm and sharing ideas about our tastes in drum gear. Now I have doubts.
By "you can't" I mean that if someone asks "what's the best hi-hat?" he asks what's the best hihat for him. Maybe they just can't tell precisely what they want in a hi-hat. So they will always ask and I can't stop them from asking, I can only answer their questions.
At this point I think we have all the "best" topics there could be- drums, snares, hihats, rides etc. If you really think they are junk I think I will have to do something about it. After all, I'm here to make your life easier.
Give me a few days, I'll try to think of a way to transfer this positive vibe of sharing thoughts about gear to a new form. Any suggestions? Maybe new topics like "cool hihats" or "great snares" etc etc? Or maybe just a " what's your favourite ...?" type of topic?
I'm waiting for your comments and promise to do something about it if these topics really annoy you.
Shalaq

screamkevin

A "What's Your Favorite" or "Great (insert name of equipment here)" type threads are perfect.

For example, everyone has seen the list of gear that I use, it's in my signature. But because I use that gear doesn't mean that I think it's "The Best", it's the gear I prefer. I've recommended other brands to people on these boards, touting how good those brands are, without slagging on them. I mean, personally, I don't prefer Ludwig drums or Paiste cymbals. That's just me. But they do make a fine product, and I won't slag on them. They are just not my sound. And that's okay.

Too many times the "What's the best" gets in to a pissing contest on "Brand A is best"..."No, Brand B is best!"..."Yeah, well you're mom's a &*^@$#^"...

You get the idea.

It's just a juvenile question and should be modded away. Nobody should ever ask "What's the best" of anything, especially in drumming. And I just feel that if we are on a moderated board, the mods should do something rather than encourage it. It's okay to be enthusiastic about a product, but help everyone to understand, "There is NO best".

Shalaq

OK here's what I'll do- I'll look over every "best" topic on the forum and if it qualifies(not much "pissing contest") then I'll just change the name of the topic. If it doesn't, we'll just make a new one. I'll also include a sticky and list all such topics etc etc. It will take me some time(exams at my university :/) , so be patient. I'll take care of it as quickly as I can. Right now all I can say is ignore such topics for a while and I'll take care of them.

scrubs

zen_drummer":7xdg3yrk said:

1. Gibraltar

2. Tie: Vinnie Paul & Bernard Purdie

3. Velociraptor

Any more questions? :roll: :wink:

zen_drummer

oooh, sorry, the correct answer to number 2 was Buddy Miles and Bernard Purdie... you were SO close!

Vinnie Paul is famous for his Philly Cheese Steak... but thanks for playing!

jbreshears

zen_drummer":2noi89nx said:

LARS......HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's just great DAMN hahaha

Gaddabout

First of all, I'm currently fascinated by Aquarian cymbal springs, so I vote them they greatest technological invention for drums within the last 10 minutes or so. They are very cool.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/produc ... .asp?id=24

Whenever I see a "the best" thread, I immediately assume it was started by someone with immeasurably maturity. Thus, my responses are equally immature (like me last one, where I launched into my tirade about people's poor choice in pasteries). It's obviously started by someone who hasn't lived long enough to realize every time you think you've found the best drummer, you come across someone even better. I know this, because I was the same way when I was younger. My obsessions went something like this:

Neil Peart --> Billy Cobham --> Steve Gadd --> Dave Weckl --> Vinnie Colaiuta --> I give up.

When I think I've seen it all, some young drummer like Thomas Pridgen comes along and blows up my little universe. Or I come across drummers outside of the states, like Yohann Schmitt or Andrew Fisenden or Joe Crabtree, and I realize I'm even more sheltered than I ever imagined.

There are SO MANY great drummers out there, and it's OK to appreciate all of them without providing rankings, but you have to:

- Drop your biases against genre and style
- Be able to listen with big ears
- Learn to accept a worldview where it's perfectly acceptable to like loud rock drummers with huge drum sets and light-hitting jazz drummers on a four-piece.

It's really OK. None of these musicians have asked you to defend their honor as a rocker/metalhead/double bass drummer/single bass drummer/fusionoid/whatever. Having spent some time backstage with a lot of these guys, I've seen jazz drummers and death metal drummers exchanging ideas over soft drinks and laughing in amazement at the ludicrous talent of some other drummer on stage. Really. They all get along and they enjoy the broadest of drummer communities. We should too.

zen_drummer

gaddabout":1c9kgunp said:
I launched into my tirade about people's poor choice in pasteries
WOW, good one! Which drummer DOES eat the best pastries before a gig?

1) Thomas Lang enjoys a nice apple struedel

2) Dennis Chamber and his now legendary Snickerdoodles

Jump in folks... this is IMPORTANT

RogersDrummer

I think if someone wants to start a "WHATS THE BEST" thread, obviously they can. Whether it makes sense or not, is a different matter.

I completely agree that any topic that requires an induvidual's biased opinion when it comes to the drums is rather unnecessary. But as long as we all understand that its just opinions and nothing more, thats all that really matters.

I'm not a big fan of Thomas Lang, I respect him of course, but his style is nothing like my own. Niel Pert is also a fantastic drummer, but again, nothing like me personally, so, I need not reply to a post that holds either of those two in such high reguards. Now if someone started a post praising Billy Cobham or Steve Smith, I'd be all over that ;)

...And i have to give it to Thomas' Apple struedel
EATIN' ZEE SHTRUDEL!!

oh, here's another one!

Who does Thomas Lang do the BEST impersonation of without knowing it? :

1) Arnold Schwarzenegger
2) Sean Claude van damme
3) Eddie Murphy

cheers