whats neil peart been up to?

blastbeats666

when ever a drummer talks about neil peart there is usually been some level of admiration that goes along with it. but i was just watching "that metal show" on VH1 Classic and they did a thing on rush, but no neil. i have noticed that he likes to be secritive, but like whats he been up to? side projects? stuff with rush? anyone help me out on this? thanks

metldrummer2112

I know this is probably going to start a pissing match like it did last time I posted it, but I think Peart is overrated.

There I said it, let the hate flow! :twisted:

nydubber

he's been riding his BMW and writing books...

he is an avid motorcyclist. His work(s) are quite good as well, very inspirational writing if you are into that sorta thing.

TheYardstick

I'm pretty sure Rush is still touring and will be working on a new album.

And blame Rush fans for how high Neil Peart sits in the kingdom, they're the exact same way with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.

i won't disagree that he's a godly drummer, but i sometimes think the word progressive is interchangeable with overplaying...some of the stuff iv'e heard him play with rush wan't necessary. imho btw. and i would need gps to navigate his kit.

TheYardstick

Peart doesn't like the fills that he's known for, the Producer makes him play it and says it would be better for the song.

Alan_

I don't care what you kids think, the drumming on older rush albums is awesome and groovy.

I agree, some fans make him out to be the most technically advanced player to ever pick up a pair of sticks, which he obviously isn't. but seriously, who cares? he has some cool ideas, and he executes them extremely well. don't let some overzealous fans sour your milk.

wmpdrummer13

I dont understand how so many "nobody's" can state that someone who has actually done some great things in the drumming world is overrated. To me if you are going to call Neil Peart or any other drummer overrated then I expect "you" to do something better than him and for some reason that has not happend yet! Maybe hes not as overrated as you think!

Empyrean Drums

wmpdrummer13":1ftx1f5d said:
I dont understand how so many "nobody's" can state that someone who has actually done some great things in the drumming world is overrated. To me if you are going to call Neil Peart or any other drummer overrated then I expect "you" to do something better than him and for some reason that has not happend yet! Maybe hes not as overrated as you think!
I don't have anything against Peart or Rush and the constant claim that "so and so is over-rated" is old and tired, but there are many instances when a person's fame surpasses their abilities and accomplishments. Any laymen observer can point that out.

wmpdrummer13

Well how can a "laymen observer" make a claim that something is overrated when they cannot produce something better? Might be overrated compared to someone else who might be better and at that point and time that person who is better can state that. We have too many critics in this world that cant do shit themselves, and i hate to see that bullcrap flow into the drumming community, we dont need that!

Empyrean Drums

wmpdrummer13":qln22k57 said:
Well how can a "laymen observer" make a claim that something is overrated when they cannot produce something better? Might be overrated compared to someone else who might be better and at that point and time that person who is better can state that. We have too many critics in this world that cant do shit themselves, and i hate to see that bullcrap flow into the drumming community, we dont need that!

Uh, by observing. One need not produce in order to form an opinion.
Your assertion that only "someone else who might be better and at that point and time that person who is better can state that" someone is over-rated is bullcrap

Alan_

what's "better" mean in this context, tho? it's all subjective. that's why I feel terms like "overrated" are inane. everybody has different taste. music isn't a competitive sport.

HOWEVER, I also feel that whole argument of "well, you don't have any right to comment because so-and-so is more successful than you" is weak. Who freaking cares? I have every right to any opinion I might have, and so does anyone else.

Alan_

that whole idea that a celebrity is somehow "better" really rubs me the wrong way. they put on their garter belts the same way I do: one leg at a time. :mrgreen:

wmpdrummer13

Right and my opinion is that if someone is going to say someone is overrated or is going to question their abilities, not talking success here, then they should be able to do better as far as being able to do what he can do and most importantly, especially with music, be able to create something better.

Alan_

what's "better"? how can you quantitatively analyze artistic endeavor? are you trying to make music, or win the 100 yard dash?