What's my problem?

cableman26

For some reason no matter how I set it I cannot find a comfortable postion for my floor tom. It might as well not even be there, I never use it. That sucks too because I love it. I just cannot use it with any kind of speed, it just feels odd.

If I ever had to play a kit with two floor toms, I would just throw my sticks at the kit and run the hell away. :arrow:

Atmerrill

cableman26":17e4oq9x said:
For some reason no matter how I set it I cannot find a comfortable postion for my floor tom. It might as well not even be there, I never use it. That sucks too because I love it. I just cannot use it with any kind of speed, it just feels odd.

If I ever had to play a kit with two floor toms, I would just throw my sticks at the kit and run the hell away. :arrow:
Are you trying to play "up" to it or playing down to it. Sometimes, it really has to do more with the height of your seat than angle of toms. I sit high enough (23") that I'm playing down to mine - and I've added a 14x14 to the left under the hi-hat to boot. Look at your set-up. See if it's not the issue - it really can make or break your playing. Good luck!

JAdrums2k

I had that problem too for awhile.
What I ended up doing was setting the floor tom directly across from the snare, just a bit lower w/ a slight angle towards me,
and I pulled it in real close, so all I have to do is basically flick my wrist to hit it.
In that position I'm about halfway behind the drum.
I can still get the power out of it too w/ no problem. I use the rack toms for more speed, and the floor for lower accent.

If nothing helps, try moving it to the other side, like a side snare, you may actually use it more over there

Potatoe Snack

JAdrums2k":1cow40g1 said:
I had that problem too for awhile.
What I ended up doing was setting the floor tom directly across from the snare, just a bit lower w/ a slight angle towards me,
and I pulled it in real close, so all I have to do is basically flick my wrist to hit it.
In that position I'm about halfway behind the drum.
I can still get the power out of it too w/ no problem. I use the rack toms for more speed, and the floor for lower accent.

If nothing helps, try moving it to the other side, like a side snare, you may actually use it more over there
I've seen people do that with two floor toms before, one on each side. a cool idea, never tried it though.