Whats is the difference?

Jon_Norman

Just wondering what the difference between a 20 ply snare and a 50 ply snare is? I assuming it makes a different sound, but how so? I sould really know the answer to this but, everyone has to be told for the first time.

Timekeep69

The thicker the shell, the less it resonates also producing a higher pitch. Also the thicker the shell, the louder the drum.

FelterSkelter

Timekeep69":2bbbahu5 said:
The thicker the shell, the less it resonates also producing a higher pitch. Also the thicker the shell, the louder the drum.
Am I wrong or would a thicker shell take a heavier hitter to produce a desired tone? More mass requires more mass to move, no? I know this is true of heads, but I could be wild.

anavrinIV

FelterSkelter":3284ixch said:
Timekeep69":3284ixch said:
Am I wrong or would a thicker shell take a heavier hitter to produce a desired tone? More mass requires more mass to move, no? I know this is true of heads, but I could be wild.
actually in this case i think its the opposite. because of the natural characteristic of the shell to be much louder a softer hit will produce the same volume as a harder hit on a thinner shelled drum. with those very thick shelled drums ghost notes are accentuated (depending on the tuning) and a hard hit will make your snare overpower everything.

honestly, i dont know that i would want a 50 ply snare....i wanted a 20 but the guy i was going to order it from wasnt taking anymore orders. i ended up getting an 8 ply vented snare and its loud as about anything ive heard. i know that its not the loudest thing out there but it works perfectly for me.

Timekeep69

Because the shell is so thick, there is less resonance so in actuallity, you don't have to hit it as hard.

A 50 ply snare would weigh a ton too.

Nhara

i don't think i've ever seen a 50-ply snare, but like everyone else who's already posted the more plys u add on the thicker and less resonate the shell becomes. depending on what style and sound ur going for u have to pick the number of plys. on top of that, what drum heads are u going to put on it and how do u tune, where do u place ur snare strings. everything about drummer is personal, we're just here to add suggestions

Daneman

Here's another way to look at it:

While the drum may be 14", it's really the diamater from the inner plies, not the outer, that matters most. If a 14" drum is 50 plies, the distance between the inner plies is probably less than 12". The drum sounds that tight and high pitched- almost like a soprano snare- because in essence you're really playing a 12" drum.

christopherabruce

Because a 50 ply is so heavy, I'd assume that you would have to hit it much harder to get any good sound out of it. I've never played such a thick drum, but can't the choked sound be accomplished with tuning and muffling?

Christopher

Timekeep69":2pq79unu said:
Because the shell is so thick, there is less resonance so in actuallity, you don't have to hit it as hard.

A 50 ply snare would weigh a ton too.