whats grohl playing

Gazdkw82§

my covers band want to learn queens of the stone age no one knows. I can play it all except the mad flam fillything in the chorus i just cant seem to work it out. is it grouping of 6 with the first flammed?

drummert2k

in the chorus if i recall correctly its a triplet pattern and one of them (last one? dont know. its been forever since i heard the song) switches from triplets to huertas or four stroke singles. ( a sixteenth note triplet attacthed to an 8th note to equal one beat.)

Johnny Cat

It always sounded to me like ruffs (or drags). It's kinda tricky to do, especially going back and forth from the snare to the toms like he does, but it sounds dead on to me.

Turned out that later on in the July 2004 issue of Modern Drummer, Ken Micallef mentions this, specifically four stroke ruffs, and Dave confirms it while they are on the topic of that Queens album and what Dave tends to do around the kit for fills and grooves, and where those came from (mostly playing with Scream).

chachi311

Set your metronome for 160 (it's a bit under No One Knows, but you'll get the idea.

First...play your basic eighth note triplets (two bars of 4/4) with this pattern:

R R L R R L R R L R R L | R R L R R L R R L R R L

Then...add a sixteenth note (Left hand) in between each Right hand diddle (without changing the timing of the inner pattern, R R L):

RLR L RLR L RLR L RLR L | RLR L RLR L RLR L RLR L

Start it out on the snare and then move the pattern around the set like this (on Grohl's set, Tom 1 was probably a 15 in. rack tom and Tom 2 was probably an 18 in., both top heads tuned just past head wrinkles and a ton of muffling...ie. towels, tape, etc.):

(Snare)(Tom 1)(Snare)(Tom 1) | (Snare)(Tom 1)(Snare)(Tom 1)

Hope this helps

Johnny Cat

You can also play it with ruffs, where you use the rebound, first right hand stroke, then second note is a rebound of the first stroke.

R R L R L L R L or R r L R R r L R

Four stroke ruffs. According to a Modern Drummer interview this is what was used, and it sounds dead on to me. Especially at that speed between the snare and tom, taking advantage of the rebound makes it so much easier, and it sounds tighter.

downshifter99

I know what he does(cause I can play it)but,I have no grand drum mastery words to describe it.

Stop,...listen real good,....play......(repeat) :idea:

drummert2k

chachi311":251etkui said:
Set your metronome for 160 (it's a bit under No One Knows, but you'll get the idea.

First...play your basic eighth note triplets (two bars of 4/4) with this pattern:

R R L R R L R R L R R L | R R L R R L R R L R R L

Then...add a sixteenth note (Left hand) in between each Right hand diddle (without changing the timing of the inner pattern, R R L):

RLR L RLR L RLR L RLR L | RLR L RLR L RLR L RLR L

Start it out on the snare and then move the pattern around the set like this (on Grohl's set, Tom 1 was probably a 15 in. rack tom and Tom 2 was probably an 18 in., both top heads tuned just past head wrinkles and a ton of muffling...ie. towels, tape, etc.):

(Snare)(Tom 1)(Snare)(Tom 1) | (Snare)(Tom 1)(Snare)(Tom 1)

Hope this helps

there it is folks! the ruffs you sound too "crushed" because of the tempo and how open the rhythm is. singling it out sounds much better. i've played this song in my one band like 500 times now and i've played it that exact way every time

grimey mike

i played this once in some shool thing ages ago! im not good at describing stuff though! its 3 flams, then 3 snare and tom hits on the chorus! i dont normally like tabs, but they had one on mxtabs the guitarist got me, and it did clear it up

Johnny Cat

Chazdrums":2uxs2tsj said:
Two words: Swiss Triplets
I gotta disagree with this one. Swiss triplets sound even more "crushed" than playing the ruffs. Playing it this way doesn't sound open enough.

Billdozer

They're huertas.

If you played in Drumline or Drum Corps. they're a pretty popular little rudiment. Basically it's an eighth note triplet. But instead of playing the first eighth note of the triplet you play two sixteenth notes.

In the video (which is the best way to see what he's doing because every time Dave Grohl plays the fill the camera cuts to a shot of him doing it) you can see he alternates playing the fill on the snare, then the rack tom, then back to the snare, then on the floor tom. He is using only a 4 piece kit for this song.

So it alternates as 4 huertas played between the snare and the toms.

RL R L / RL R L / RL R L / RL R L

Of course that's only one of the fills he does. But hopefully that helps.
They're pretty easy to do if you just let them flow. They're actually easier for me to play left hand lead too. But that's just me.

Good luck and hope you guys rock some faces.

when i learned the (this isnt nessesarily right)but i went bass snare bass tom 1 tom 2 bass tom 1 tom2 that repeted and played with a triplet feel i mean i dont kno if that is any dfifferent 2 what everyone else is saying but ya kno