Whats better??? (Drum head help)

middlemaniac

Hi, would it be smarter to get a very nice remo drum pack with all good heads(pinstripe,ambassador,powerstroke 3), but no resonant heads(stock ones), or should I get pinstripes only on my toms, with resonant heads along with it?

trstn

dwtoast72":22f17ruj said:
however, should you decide to replace the resos...ambassadors are great with pinstripes
indeed. That's what I use. Somehow the standard Remo set isn't it?

psst .. I bought a evans eq3 reso for the base drum ;)

dunkerton12

Here's my opinion, and take it for what it's worth (probably not much).

I am of the opinion, especially with snare drums, but with any drum (except bass) that a single ply head is best. It is the most versatile head in that if you want an open sound for certain genres, just tune it up nice and away you go. If you want to eliminate the overtone (not sure why people do, drums should sing), then put a piece (or two) of moongel on the drum until it's got the muffling where you want it. You can always add muffling if needed, but once it's built into the head then you can't take it away.

That being said, Pinstripes over ambassadors are the industry standard for rock, R & B, and likewise. I would try to replace both the batter and reso, and just buy what I can until I get them all replaced. The resonant heads affect the sound more than most people think.

xdoseonex

dunkerton12":2s3t96gp said:

I am of the opinion, especially with snare drums, but with any drum (except bass) that a single ply head is best. It is the most versatile head in that if you want an open sound for certain genres, just tune it up nice and away you go. If you want to eliminate the overtone (not sure why people do, drums should sing), then put a piece (or two) of moongel on the drum until it's got the muffling where you want it. You can always add muffling if needed, but once it's built into the head then you can't take it away.

That being said, Pinstripes over ambassadors are the industry standard for rock, R & B, and likewise. I would try to replace both the batter and reso, and just buy what I can until I get them all replaced. The resonant heads affect the sound more than most people think.
drums should sing. yes. they should resonate. yes. but that doest mean they should have ugly overtones and ring

SINISTER

Dude, I rock Pinstripes as my batter heads and ebony ambassadors as my reso heads on a Pearl Export and they sound great!!!!!!

middlemaniac

well...I have a Mapex pro M, so I guess if they sound good on urs they'll sound good on mine. But what is the BEST resonant heads to get with pinstripes?

dunkerton12

xdoseonex":l6hkmxpe said:
dunkerton12":l6hkmxpe said:

drums should sing. yes. they should resonate. yes. but that doest mean they should have ugly overtones and ring
Correct. A drum that's properly tuned will have pleasant ring and not those nasty overtones. The problem is that most people can't tune correctly, and then they get a bad sound and try to blame the drum head and then start bashing a certain brand or model of drum head. Any, I repeat, ANY drum head can sound good on any drum if the person can tune. Conversely, if one cannot tune, then no drum head will sound good, unless the person just gets lucky with it.

SGarrett

middlemaniac":a3p64rce said:
well...I have a Mapex pro M, so I guess if they sound good on urs they'll sound good on mine. But what is the BEST resonant heads to get with pinstripes?
The one that works the best for what you want. There's no such thing as the "best" head.

dunkerton12":a3p64rce said:
xdoseonex":a3p64rce said:
dunkerton12":a3p64rce said:

Correct. A drum that's properly tuned will have pleasant ring and not those nasty overtones. The problem is that most people can't tune correctly, and then they get a bad sound and try to blame the drum head and then start bashing a certain brand or model of drum head. Any, I repeat, ANY drum head can sound good on any drum if the person can tune. Conversely, if one cannot tune, then no drum head will sound good, unless the person just gets lucky with it.
Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you but, you do know that super resonant drums are a fairly new fad, right? Ever stop to think about how many hundreds of hit songs were recorded with highly muffled drums? Drums should sound the way you want them to sound.

dunkerton12

^^I agree with you bro. Not trying to be difficult.

As I stated in another post, some people just really muffle the bejeesus out of their drums (especially the snare) and they end up sounding weak to everyone but the drummer. But to each his (or her) own. :)

EDIT: I think there's a difference between what you describe as "super resonant" drums, and a drum sounding like a drum. For example, a friend of mine uses Evans Hydraulics on his toms. No problem, but then one day he decided they were too resonant and then added duct tape to each one!!! I tried to get him to understand that he had transformed them into expensive cardboard boxes--but to him the sound he wanted to hear from the driver's seat was the only sound he was willing to consider. Oh well...

Anyway, it's cool.

BillRayDrums

dunkerton12":3l8uzs5d said:

If you have decent shells then single ply heads are great. They offer up alot of high end and cut. However if you have cheaper shells then you want a 2-ply head. Not necessarily Pinstripes (which deaden things way too much for my tastes) but like say, Emperors or Aquarian Super-2's (my choice).

BillRayDrums

SGarrett":39ceztxr said:
middlemaniac":39ceztxr said:
The one that works the best for what you want. There's no such thing as the "best" head.

dunkerton12":39ceztxr said:
xdoseonex":39ceztxr said:
dunkerton12":39ceztxr said:

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you but, you do know that super resonant drums are a fairly new fad, right? Ever stop to think about how many hundreds of hit songs were recorded with highly muffled drums? Drums should sound the way you want them to sound.
I get asked to muffle my stuff in the studio all the time. Doesn't bother me like it used to. I used to get so offended when the engineer would put a single piece of tape on my drums. As long as it's within reason then it's OK.