whats a good first electronic set?

scmcarthur

ive been playing drums for about 4 years or so now and i have never owned a electronic set before and i just want one for band practice and my own practice since they are much quieter 9 ( i still love acoustic set better!) and i live in an apartment.......

DRUMSMYWIFE

The Yamaha DTXplorer. They dropped the price from 800 to 700. Yeah realistic sounds better than s pads but not as really good as Rolands.

sharp13

DRUMSMYWIFE":14lx12ag said:
The Yamaha DTXplorer. They dropped the price from 800 to 700. Yeah realistic sounds better than s pads but not as really good as Rolands.

can they do rimshots, and bell sounds on the ride?

anavrinIV

stephenchong":2klfiu9w said:
Ahh, yes. I have a question too, forgive me. :D

Can you actually choke an electronic cymbal ?
anything roland can be choked, cymbals and drums. well, at least the td-3 and up can. i have a td-6 set and love it. given the choice between electric and acoustic, i wouldnt give up either.

DRUMSMYWIFE

No the Yamaha Dtxplorer cannot do rimshots. You can buy a pad that does. Yes you can choke electronic cymbals if it is a dual zone pad. Or a 3 zone pad can choke and you can hit the bell.

Rockula!

Does it have to be configured like a drumkit?
Because the Roland SPDS can be played a bit like a drumkit
There are ports for hihat and bass drum pads
Very compact and great for practicing anywhere
Check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgdm1LeLdAY

I use it in my experimental setup
There is red tape in between the pads so I can see better in the dark
[/img]

It may not have a million different drumkits (that most people wouldn't use in the first place) but it does have an on board sampler which means you can sample your own drums the way you want them to sound

qazzer

I have an YamahaDTXplorer drumset. It's good for just practicing. But it depends on what kind of music you plays. If you play raw and dirty, I'm not even sure that ANY electronic drumset is good. If you play jazz though, it's better than accoustic. But that's just my experience.

(P.S. If you play raw and dirty, and would like an electronic drumset, I would suggest YamahaDTXpress IV Special)

Rockula!

My first electronic drumkit
I used to play along with the Kraftwerk "Computerworld" album on this thing
I thought it was cool
I wish I still had it
My dad built me a hi hat /bass drum pedal from a schematic in Modern Drummer

You can also hear the Beastie Boys use this on the CD "Some old bullshit" which sucks btw

gq

Rockula!":10giv0g9 said:
Does it have to be configured like a drumkit?
Because the Roland SPDS can be played a bit like a drumkit
There are ports for hihat and bass drum pads
Very compact and great for practicing anywhere
Check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgdm1LeLdAY

I use it in my experimental setup
There is red tape in between the pads so I can see better in the dark
[/img]

It may not have a million different drumkits (that most people wouldn't use in the first place) but it does have an on board sampler which means you can sample your own drums the way you want them to sound
I love this set! I'm working on building a similar experimental set only with more acoustic sets and less guitar effects (that is a guitar effect, right?) Is there anywhere I can find more information about this set or other similar sets or advise so that I don't do cumbersome things that won't work that I'd be wasting my time on? And I'm sorry if I may be off-topic :oops:

Rockula!

The electronics are as follows (left to right)
Roland SPDS-
This is the heart of my setup where I pre-record loops and samples which I play in real time in conjunction with the drums as well as some soundscape manipulation

Digitech Vocal 300 Vocal Processor-
Obviously, I use this for vocals but I also create loops by placing the mic overhead
The delay/hold function makes looping on the spot possible, however, it is not going to behave the same way every time so I tend to use it for more exploratory sounds

Boss Br864 Digital 8 Track-
There are parts of my show where I play guitar or bass
I pre-record drum and guitar or bass parts as backing tracks
The drums are EQ'd as flat as possible and panned to one channel (L/R) so that the sound engineer can shape the drum tracks for the room
The bass or guitar part is panned to the other channel
I use this for multi track, non rhythmic looping as well

Alesis Ineko DJ Effects Processor-
I don't use this anymore because I have just gotten a Kaos pad

Yamaha 6 track mixer-
For live applications where I carry my own PA
I use the headphone jack to monitor in either type of situation

The practice pads with triggers attatched to them have been somewhat successful in that they trigger when struck but aren't esoteric to behave like a regular pad
Minimal striking only (one off's etc...)

I am more than happy to answer any questions you have
Please visit my profile on MySpace (no music posted yet)
myspace.com/pyroplasticflow

keith bushey

I too needed something to pratice on in the evening after work, at home, and not wake the dead in doing so. My acoustic set is a double bass 8pc kit, and I wanted to practice on an E-kit the same size. I bought 2 Roland TD-3 kits and put them together. Now I have all my toms needed, 2 bass drums, a hi-hat and a remote hi-hat like my acoustic set, 5 cymbols; 1 ride, 3 crash, 1 china, and 2 extra pads for neat sound effex. The TD-3 module is a little less complicated than the Yamaha's, and very easy to use. I plug my mp3 player into it, put the phones on and jam for hours on songs we're learning. The other members in my band are always impressed when they hear how quick I can lay down a new song. This E-kit has increased my drumming skills tremendously! I practice when ever I want, as long as I want. Roland definatelly has a quallity product. Everthing in the TD-3 kits are well built, and the sound quallity is second to none.
:D

guitarplayer08

anavrinIV said:
stephenchong said:
Ahh, yes. I have a question too, forgive me. :D

Can you actually choke an electronic cymbal ?
anything roland can be choked, cymbals and drums. well, at least the td-3 and up can. i have a td-6 set and love it. given the choice between electric and acoustic, i wouldnt give up either.[/quote

How do you 'choke' a drum?
whats choke?

Rockula!

Choking a cymbal is when you hit it and then grab it to stop the ring
It is usually accompanied by a bass drum hit
Lots of metal bands do it it is also called "punching"
There are pressure sensitive rings on the bottom of more advanced e-cymbals that tell the brain to make the choke sound when you grab it