whats a double bass for besdiss metal

seandude

i dont really like metal so what do i use it for any bands????

or any good metal bads
what other ands use it

Shalaq

You can use it in every style.
For example jazz- ok, you stick with the shuffled ride and hihat on 2/4. You use the snare and kick to fill in other notes. But there are sometimes you play the snare with two hand, don't you? Bass drum is also a drum and you should be able to play with two limbs on it. And believe me, a crescended buzz roll on the kick drum (if you have a proper sounding kick drum) sound super sweet.

drum_bum

i tend to use a double bass pedal for beats that i cant pull off with the one pedal.kinda cheating i suppose but it works!

devilspain

i play blues funk rock and i use it. double bass playing isnt always 16th notes for ages! and it itsnt spec for metal.

ShadowDrummer

You don't have to be playing fast to use a double pedal. I use it to make things more interesting.Say for parts I could play with one foot sufficiently, why not step it up a bit and do some rudiments with two feet? Think of it as making your limbs more diverse&independent of each other.

tomdrum

are you serious? you can use double bass for everything-espaecially crazy fusion and progressive music. it also opens up fills like crazy!

The Heel

It also opens up overplaying and sloppy play to most novices.

And often leads to an undeveloped main foot because of the dependence on the slave pedal.

Can you do more with a double bass drum than without it? Sure. Are YOU going to need to do more? Or are you just looking for ways to make your fills sound cooler? A Double bass drum is a double edged sword. A lot of players that play single pedal pride themselves on what they can play with one foot.

Its basically... what are you trying to play? Once you answer that question and determine your own personal style... then you can determine how many bass drum pedals you need without even asking.

I think what Seandude is trying to ask is this: I'm not a metal drummer but, is it still necessary &/or possible to use a double kicker or 2 bass drums in non-metal?

The answer is yes. Many non metal drummers use double kickers or 2 bass drums- it's all personal preferance.

I hate cliches like: double kicking is cheating? Nothing is cheating if it's done properly. I use double kick and play a broad range of styles, I also use single kick as and when appropriate. It's all about texture and feel

Shalaq

If someone says "double bass is cheating" then tell them " I suppose you play your snare drum with just one hand, don't you?" :)

Howepirate

Shalaq":294uzeew said:
If someone says "double bass is cheating" then tell them " I suppose you play your snare drum with just one hand, don't you?" :)

totally agree y have 2 sticks and 1 single pedal to me it doesnt make sence although there is a quite an overabundance of drummers sticking to double bass and making things hard for themselves simplicity should be an answer try not to get yourself totally worked on the the bass drums or double pedal and try just fitting it into a common context

as for me i play metal drive and run is a fun style

but i loves jazz and groove so just have fun with it the more u fit it in more styles the better you truly are

stidger

i use a double pedal and i dont play metal

with a bit of creative thought you can add flams and parradiddles etc with the bass drum over the top of your sticking patterns

true, you gotta be careful not to over play / use it but it can make things a little more interesting especially if you are recording and have a good mix

barker15

one word - FILLS, jus add double bass into the odd fill to spice it up. you dnt always hav to use it, alot of drummers haveb them now but only use them the odd time.

The Heel

I'm just saying... how many guys do you see just butchering songs because they bought a double pedal and have no idea in what context to use it?

Most of the guys I see with double pedals shouldnt have one.

Cheating? Well if you're playing Led Zeppelin's Good Times Bad Times with a double pedal... then you're cheating. If every double you do or ever double kick/double tom fill you do is done solely because you have a double pedal... then you're cheating.

If you use it within the context of the music you are playing and dont overplay or make a spectacle of yourself at every given opportunity... well then I agree its a good tool. Just dont abuse it.