what to do with cracked cymbals ?

bash110

8) What do you guys do with your cracked cymbals?
It's too bad drum shops can't find a way to send back cracked cymbals to the manufacturer for recycling and maybe give us a couple of quid /dollars towards the next purchase.I also hate the idea of all this metal ending up in a landfill.......

screamkevin

My all-time favorite cymbal cracked a few years back, and I didn't want to trash it. My wife went out and bought some stick-on numbers and an inexpensive clock movement.

I now have a custom made 17" Zildjian A Crash/Ride Wall Clock in my basement lounge/bar area, next to my White Horse Ale sign.

They also make great souvenirs to raffle off/give away to fans at shows. Just get the whole band to sign 'em with a Sharpie and there you have it.

Rockaflodge

Thats what I do, the band signs it and we give out after shows.

NOTE: DO NOT THROW IT OUT!!!! you could take someone's head off!!!

anavrinIV

saluda has a program where you can send your broken cymbal to them and theyll make a trade for a new saluda cymbal. i contacted them about this and go a message back saying that for my old cymbals (18" planet z crash/ride, 20" zbt ride, broken 16" zbt crash, broken planet z 14" top hi hat) i could get a 17" mist x med-thin crash for only $70. not a bad deal for a bunch of cymbals i never plan on using again.

Shalaq

anavrinIV":7vj61lp3 said:
saluda has a program where you can send your broken cymbal to them and theyll make a trade for a new saluda cymbal. i contacted them about this and go a message back saying that for my old cymbals (18" planet z crash/ride, 20" zbt ride, broken 16" zbt crash, broken planet z 14" top hi hat) i could get a 17" mist x med-thin crash for only $70. not a bad deal for a bunch of cymbals i never plan on using again.
Does anybody know why would they do that?

screamkevin

I endorse Saluda. They are very good about purchasing old cymbals and putting the price against a new Saluda purchase. They also have an EBay store called Drum Gear Online, and they sell the traded gear. It's good business for them, and for the consumer.

I got my Saluda setup (as an endorser) for about 1/8th of what it's worth retail. ;)

MrMcFetus

If it's a cymbal that you like, but it's not your favorite. Keep playing it, maybe break the fucker in half. Who know's what kind of sound you could get out of it. Of course this all depends on the music you play. You could do this if you are a metal person. Bash that thing. You could fit it into a song somehow.
I have a ZBT splash that I use decoration on my wall. It looks great.

The two that have cracked on me are my Zildjan Titanium's I bought almost 4 or 5 years ago. I have one that hangs in my band practice room. I used metal cutters and turned it into a huge saw-blade which looks cool, but I would never try and play it. . . it sounds like a parking garage, as my guitarist put it. . . The other Titanium i cracked actually has a small enough crack going slowly towards the bell that it gives a nice sizzle to it, so it's my own sizzle crash. It's interesting.

i sign them and give them away at shows...to the kids who mosh the hardest..this week the security guard broke his hand in our wall of death....he won the cymbal

subaru_rsti

Have you ever shopped @ Guitar Center? I'm the Drum department manager here in Spokane Wa. We have a Perforance Guarantee program. Basically it costs between $10-$50 on top of cymbal price. And if your cymbal ever breaks between 2-5 years, you get your money back.. Besides our low prices, It's the main reason people shop with us. who else covers your gear?

Robot Jones Drums

subaru_rsti":13oipsci said:
Have you ever shopped @ Guitar Center? I'm the Drum department manager here in Spokane Wa. We have a Perforance Guarantee program. Basically it costs between $10-$50 on top of cymbal price. And if your cymbal ever breaks between 2-5 years, you get your money back.. Besides our low prices, It's the main reason people shop with us. who else covers your gear?
Yea, I shop usually at Guitar Center...
...or at Donn Bennett which is where I take lessons.
[student discount, woo!]

I crack cymbals...not frequently...but sometimes things like splashes get warped for me...which actually bugs me more than trying to save a cracked cymbal.

With a cracked cymbal I have:
1. - Lamp Shade
2. - Clock
3. - Sold it
4. - Drawn on it/painted it and sold it.

Basically though, I think the best thing with CRACKED cymbals is to use them for practice, and when you're playing a show, break out the expensive long-lasting cymbals that you adore so much.

JidTheDrummer

dude...I can't believe nobody's said make a stack. Jon Theodore, ex. The Mars Volta, has this sick stack that he uses a lot and it's a really awesome effect

pooJken

My cymbals are not broken, but there is a tear at the center,

so I give them away to people who want to try thet kind of cymbal, so i don't have to borther anymore

ofcourse they don't have to pay me anything

DrumminBari

[dude...I can't believe nobody's said make a stack. Jon Theodore, ex. The Mars Volta, has this sick stack that he uses a lot and it's a really awesome effect]

I built a stack, not with brokens though, a 8 Sabian AAX and i invert a B8 and through it on top. I put the B8 on Guitar Centers preformance garentee because it breaks all the time and while my inverting it null and voids the warrenty, Sabian doesn't need too know about that :twisted: (the GC clerk does though, it was his idea).

As far as the brokens, decoration is they way I go. I have a clock out of one of my old rides (that one didnt break, just retired and to sentimentally attached to sell) and in my practice room I have them circled around the first bass drum head I broke on the wall behind my main set.[/quote]

MAD Dog

I'm not a drummer anymore, but I keep up on all of the stuff cause I come from a family of drummers and married one.

Here is the thing on cracked cymbals. Used to you could take them in to be fixed if it wasn't to bad, and if it is a favorite cymbal and you don't mind spending a lot of money, their are people in the welding world that could fix it. The problem is they have no idea on exactly how to treat a cymbal as a musical instrument, and there are certain no no's in doing it. Given that, you can make a minor repair if the crack is not to bad. This involves using a drill, and doesn't garuntee how long it will last, but you can get more use out of it if you are in a bind.

Step 1. You'll need a 1/16 inch sized drill bit or smaller for the most part. If it's bigger a 3/32 inch bit may be needed.

Step 2. Mark the area just above where the crack begins. It's better to drill in the groove of the cymbal than on the raised part. If it is side to side mark both ending points. Use a Sharpie with a fine tip.

Step 3. Use a punch to tap a small indintation where you marke. It's easier to drill the hole and it wont slide around on you screwing the rest of the cymbal up. And don't tap it to hard. Let the hammer do the work.

Step 4. Drill the hole as slowly as you possibly can. This is so you reduce buring. That is a raised edge around the hole you drilled.

Step 5. If you have a bur, and a de-buring tool, use that to remove the bur. If not, use the finest sand paper you can get your hands on. I use 2000 grit. Very lightly work on getting rid of the bur. Go with the dirction of your cymbal grooves. Try not sanding on the grooves and not going in any other direction. If you scratch the surface much, you can start other cracks.

Life expectancy is not known for this process, but I've seen old drummers still using their old cracke cymbals after doing this many years down the road. They make sure not to use that side of course. I've seen them last a couple of months to a whole year to. Anyway just a little tip that I learned from my old man, and had to do for a number of my drummers over the years.

syntaxerror

I had a cracked stagg 12" china and a cracked paiste 12" splash, I made a stack out of them and they well really good!! A super quick trashy sound!!

anavrinIV

subaru_rsti":1xgkoyoi said:
i love that deal and consequently shop at guitar center whenever i make a big purchase. right now i have $1500 worth of guitar center warranties in my wallet.