What the kids are into these days

Were you impressed with his speed?

• Ya, that was spiffy!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, speed is for tweakers!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Multibomber

His name is Hector De Santiago AKA "Leche," or "Lech" depending on which 13 yr old you ask. The band is called As Blood Runs Black, they're "American Deathcore."

Check out 3:22, no Pro-Tools on that mofo.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DHQHewzOdZc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DHQHewzOdZc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I show you that to then show you this, listen to the whole song because there's so many fast parts

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_HOLfTbj0s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_HOLfTbj0s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Another Derek Roddy in the making???? Well not so fast... he's already out of the band... funny, no one can pull off his stuff live. Now thats the way to make a legacy for yourself in a year!

Meh, honestly, As Blood Runs Black is nothing new.

Alot of people think that this deathcore wave is this new, magnificent thing, bands like As Blood Runs Black, Job For A Cowboy, White Chapel, Bring Me The Horizon and so on.

But little do people know, bands like Cephalic Carnage and Cryptopsy, Necrophagist, At The Gates and others were doing the same thing 10 years ago. Only difference is, half the guys in these new deathcore bands look like they belong in Norma Jean or Poison The Well or some other post hardcore band.

It bugs me because it's a perfect example that music, primarily in the metal/extreme genre, is going down the drain and nobody is original anymore. Just carbon copies of what was before them and ripping off other band's sounds.

Pantera made a huge splash in the pond when they stepped on the scene with Vulgar Display and Far Beyond Driven. There was really nobody like them at the time. Hell, FBD went number 1 on the charts when it was released and went platinum! Now every where you turn, there's a truckload of Pantera wannabe bands, slaughtering the sound. Pantera were true innovators of their sound (yes, I've heard the rumors about them ripping off Exhorder's sound, but it's all controversy and coincidence that Exhorder had a few riffs and lines that sound identical to Pantera) It sickens me. It's nothing against Pantera, I am a huge Pantera fan, and they were a very influential band, and I'm guilty of copping a few Pantera like riffs for some of my songs. It just it bothers me that nobody is original anymore.

Paying homage to those who paved the way before you, and influence is one thing, and making influence known tastefully in your music is one thing, but ripping off a band's sound completely and doing the same thing that a band was doing 10 years ago or sounding just like the next band and saying that it's a new thing, is complete BS, in my opinion. What happened to originality?

I am open minded to music, I'm always checking out new bands, but I feel that alot of kids these days should go back about 10 years and discover the roots of this. It will blow their minds and probably educate them.

Assback

it all sounds the same to me. you heard one of em, you heard all of em. double bass, palm mutes, screeching vocals (if not growling) with the same structures, breaks, change ups and progressions.

i know people are big fans of this stuff but i really dont know how you can distinguish half the bands from eachother

Troy

I'm 13, turning 14 soon, and I do like deathcore, I thinks there are some good bands that have emerged from it. But not all kids that like deathcore only like deathcore, I listen to old metal like pantera, metallica and slayer, those are my favs. I also like a few death metal bands like cannibal corpse, nile etc. I also like some melodic metal as well, especially in flames. but my point is that everyone thinks that everyone that likes deathcore are try hard emo's who dont know what real metal is, and I agree that compared to old bands like slayer, pantera etc deathcore isnt metal at all, but I still like it, but not all kids are like most of the one's you see that are into deathcore these days.

SlackBackLazy

As you have been saying that most of the people that like stuff like that are like 13, and personally, if that was me in that band I would feel bad just playing to a load of kids (not meaning to offend any young people or older people into this kind of stuff or anything, and yeah im only 15 so I can hardly talk, but its what i think).

Howepirate

1. He sucks
2. Saw him playing with Through The Eyes of the Dead. Couldn't hear is bassdrum (no triggers), playing was very off, and didn't have the intensity that Josh Kulick did.
3. Isn't he like 13?
4. I sat right behind him at a local venue and watched him play and he is nothing more than a generic deathcore drummer but for this, I would say he's good at atleast that much.

Multibomber

FULLMETALDRUMMER87

You're absolutely right, THeres always going to be the need for kids to have bands that came up in their own time. A lot of it IS simply how they look or what genre they say their in. Most kids dont wanna look like 35 year old fat guys with long beards and ugly wives... but they identify with dudes playing the exact same music who look like them. We'll always see similar stuff being recycled. I like to play a game where I play music for someone, but I dont tell them the name of the band or show them any pictures. Works wonders.

Howepirate

Hack_and_Slash":kdtn7bfh said:
I can't wait until deathcore and metalcore die out.
Let's not go there. I don't like the cookie cutter stuff, but I'm in 2 off-the-wall technical deathcore bands and I wouldn't appreciate it dying on me.

I mean let's just all agree that we hate the hardcore scene more than the deathcore or metalcore scene, right?

Hehehe

Drumosaurus

Howepirate":1l82sdtd said:
Hack_and_Slash":1l82sdtd said:
I can't wait until deathcore and metalcore die out.
Let's not go there. I don't like the cookie cutter stuff, but I'm in 2 off-the-wall technical deathcore bands and I wouldn't appreciate it dying on me.

I mean let's just all agree that we hate the hardcore scene more than the deathcore or metalcore scene, right?

Hehehe
yep. :D
I really can't stand most hardcore bands, but I utterly despise scene bands

Idont mind metalcore and hardcore bands and my best friends in the world are in one thats getting pretty popular which I'm excited for them now. But I was never in to as blood runs black or bands like them I like bands that do the screaming and growling but also throw in the clean vocals. as for the drummer hes damn fast but over all he really didnt impress me.

break the prism

For being only 13, the kid seems to be pretty adept at what he does. I played really heavy stuff when I was 13 and couldn't do what he's doing.

As far as the music goes, I think it takes a lot of really heavy brainstorming to make something sound unique in this genre. I guess I've listened to so much heavy music that something really needs to captivate me in order for me to think of it as better or more original than anything else.

SlackBackLazy

This may sound stupid, but whats the difference between:
deathcore
metalcore
hardcore
sreamo
deathmetal
hardcore scene?

Am i the only one who doesn't know? it all sounds pretty much the same to me

Steaky

It's lazy Journalist speak for the differences between a few Bands. I think it also represents the slight differing way's that the followers of each scene dress themselves.

TheYardstick

Generally -core is going to have breakdowns somewhere in the music.

It wasn't a predominant feature of Hardcore Punk, which originated as a heavier, faster, more aggressive form of Punk, which would have occasional breakdowns.

Metalcore is combination of Metal and Hardcore Punk, but only taking the -core side of Hardcore meaning a lot of breakdowns. Metalcore didn't start this way and originally infused Metal with the more Punkish side of Hardcore, then it got overrun with people who thought it would be a great idea to mix in breakdowns with EVERY SONG.

Deathcore is the same story as Metalcore, but with Death Metal infused with -core.

Screamo is a branch off of Hardcore Punk and is VERY closely related to Emotional Hardcore. Emotional Hardcore came to be referred to Emo, but was very different from what we think of as Emo today. Emotional Hardcore started in the 80s with bands like Rites of Spring, which wanted to make Hardcore more emotional by adding in slower sections. The music was still very aggressive, however. Ever since the First Wave, there have been 3 others. Not quite sure what the difference between Screamo and Emotional Hardcore is, but a educated fan of the genres would slap you if you referred to UnderOath as Screamo or MCR as Emo.

Death Metal is a form of Extreme Metal that has VERY close ties to Thrash. In its most basic form, its Thrash turned up to 12. Its sound is heavier, denser, and faster than Thrash and made heavy use of growled vocals and heavily detuned instruments. Early DM recordings appeared as noise to most people, but a trained ear could pick apart everything. Possessed, Death, and Slaughter (not the Glam band) are accredited with making the earliest incarnations of DM, while Venom is cited as the most important influence on the music overall.