what makes a good bass player for a drummer?

Chad Scott

To me it's a guy/girl that understands that the bass drum is key!
to go beyond what could be there and add to the bands sound!

m

I think it's the same thing that makes for a good drummer, or guitarist, or whatever is your chosen instrument:

playing 'musically,' and listening/responding to the other players.
Using your skill to enhance the song. Developing a rapport with each other that allows you to lock in tight and function as a unit-
not going off on your own or showboating.

bigbossman810

The same thing that makes a drummer good for a bass player. Both must lock up and lay down a good solid groove for the band to ride on. If the rythym section isn't in sync, the band will not be in sync.

Johnny Cat

I'll tell you right now what makes a good bass player. Somebody who DOESN'T SLAP all the frickin' time! :p

Every bass player I know is slap happy, and it really is sad. They don't know how to do anything else, so it really starts to get ridiculous when they try to slap on every single song. You ask him to try something else because it's really not working, and he's totally lost. :(

stump

My bass player and I are tight. We know that a certain look or nod means one thing or another. Make sure to cue off of one another and listen to what each of you are doing. If you keep it tight then you will lay down a great path for the rest of the band to follow. Peace!

sharkscott

What makes a good Bassist? someone who likes drums, someone who wants to play WITH them, not around or over or against them.

Homki890

Someone who can count and split the responsibility of Time Keeper with the drummer. That is the key.

Homki890

iplaysjcdrums

yeah i couldnt really agree anymore then with everything already posted on here. me and my bass player are really tight and have cue's for everything we play.

Dale

I think it's the same, no matter the instrument. Someone who listens, is sensitive, unselfish, grooving, easy to get along with and creative.

alwaysdrummetal

A true bass player should be in sync with the drummer at all times. If you kno a really amazing one(like I do,) they should be able to hop behind the kit and play a simple beat without ever drumming before. But that's a rare find, as long as the bass player knows how to play so it adds to or accents the drumming, yet still be original. they are a keeper

alwaysdrummetal":k0yslycy said:
they should be able to hop behind the kit and play a simple beat without ever drumming before
On that topic, I think one of the best things I ever did for my drumming was learn to play bass and gig on it occasionally. That way once I get done playing with a drummer who's either lacking or who's great to play with, I'll remember what I liked/hated about them and I can take that experience to the kit.

I think what really matters in a bass player is someone you get along with who has a total understanding of what the rythm section's responsibility is.

cell

The advantage of playing in a largely electronics band - backing tracks, loads of synths and bass that never miss a beat :D

meinlplayer

My bassist is the best bassist I know, but the problem was that he used to always try and go all out, but never calmed down to just really feel the music.
IMO for a bass player to go well with the drummer, he has to be able to feel the mood of the groove and play accordingly.
peace

drummert2k

someone who is musical enough to support the melody, rhythmic enough to play the pocket, and creative enough to blend the two together in a musical way.

some bassists seem to wanna stay away from matching the guitars so much that its like they're playing a whole other song. while some stick to the root note like its their religion.

salvo

bignickonthedrum":2age889z said:
alwaysdrummetal":2age889z said:
they should be able to hop behind the kit and play a simple beat without ever drumming before
On that topic, I think one of the best things I ever did for my drumming was learn to play bass and gig on it occasionally. That way once I get done playing with a drummer who's either lacking or who's great to play with, I'll remember what I liked/hated about them and I can take that experience to the kit.
This is a great method! A bass player before a kit player, I developed a firm awareness of the bass early on, and it helps my drumming. Bass and drums, the anchoring definition of a rhythm section, is more appreciated when each musician directly understands both instruments and their applied roles. I often use the bass when teaching beats and variations to drummer friends, it's always fun to simultaneously be creative while helping a learning drummer explore new beats.

I think what really matters in a bass player is someone you get along with who has a total understanding of what the rhythm section's responsibility is.
Yes! Ultimately it is a relationship between these two that makes great rhythm sections, and to study the bad and good of past relationships will help any musician get better in any band situation.

Mikkey

What makes a good bass player to me? One that has their own equipment, can work with the band, and stays outta my way.

ChrisNichols

I'd go with someone who knows how to improvise and do his/her own thing, but also who knows how to sync up with the downbeat of the bass drum at the same time.

My bass player is really good at following the downbeat. He only just started so right now he's keeping it simple, but the simplicity of his playing actually sounds really good.