What kind of Tama is this?

Call me Gideon

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Tama just came out with the Superstars, right? That's an old ass Pantera video. I don't know if Superstar was an older model that Tama just recently brought back out, for sure or not. Unless that's the case, that's not a Superstar. I would hope that Vinnie's playing something a little higher end than that anyways. So...to answer the question, I don't know what it is but I'd say it's not a Superstar. It MIGHT be a Tama Rockstar.

anavrinIV

Call me Gideon":1dmb6etu said:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Tama just came out with the Superstars, right? That's an old ass Pantera video. I don't know if Superstar was an older model that Tama just recently brought back out, for sure or not. Unless that's the case, that's not a Superstar. I would hope that Vinnie's playing something a little higher end than that anyways. So...to answer the question, I don't know what it is but I'd say it's not a Superstar. It MIGHT be a Tama Rockstar.
no, its probably a superstar. in the 80s the superstars were solid birch and very high end. they are comparable to todays starclassic performers. the new superstars are mid level...they also reintroduced the imperialstars as low end sets, and they were higher end than that originally.

AmnestysLowEnd

Dude Vinnie switched to pearl but if you watch the Cowboys video he plays the same set with a pearl reso!! I love both companies so don't bad mouth Tama they make Great drums!!! :evil:

BTW Neil Peart played Superstars in the 70/80's!!!

Johnny Cat

AmnestysLowEnd":2l8o1joc said:
Dude Vinnie switched to pearl but if you watch the Cowboys video he plays the same set with a pearl reso!! I love both companies so don't bad mouth Tama they make Great drums!!! :evil:

BTW Neil Peart played Superstars in the 70/80's!!!
Not badmouthing Tama cause I love them, but Peart wasn't happy with the Superstars actually. That's how the Artstar prototypes ended up getting made (the candy apple red kit).

Speaking of Artstars, I'm pretty sure that Vinnie played Artstar II's just before switching to Pearl, as did a number of other prominent thrash drummers at the time like Charlie Benante and Lars Ulrich. They were THE drums to play.

zen_drummer

I seem to remember a Tama Ad in modern drummer with Vinnie Paul endorsing Granstars, but I'm as old as dirt and might not be thinking straight. (Plus, the drums in the video look kinda like I remember Granstars looking_ )

skitch

This looks to be an old swingstar set, judging by the lugs.

The Superstar series was around in the 1970s and early 1980s and was the high end Tama drum, birch. They had split lugs and the long lug for Tama was an early 1990s development.

Vinnie used to come out and watch the band play at Cowboys' Red River in Irving, Texas when I played there. That place sucked - just a revolving door for musicians! One week you are the guy they have been searching for forever and the next, you can't do anything right. Don't ever be conned into playing there!

Fleabear

zen_drummer":fweqh8w6 said:
I seem to remember a Tama Ad in modern drummer with Vinnie Paul endorsing Granstars, but I'm as old as dirt and might not be thinking straight. (Plus, the drums in the video look kinda like I remember Granstars looking_ )
'

I'm with Zen_drummer on this one. From the look of the tom mounts on the bass drums...and on the tom mounts on the toms...they look like Granstars to me. I don't remember any adds featuring Vinnie in them....but I do remember the hardware from that series. Joey Kramer(Aerosmith) , Mick Brown (Dokken) and a ton of others used them in the mid to late 80's.