What kind of drummer do you call yourself?

Brother_Bong

I'm new here, so I hope this is not a redundant post, but reading through here the last few days has left me wondering. From the "Death Metal drummers", and the "Van Halen-Right now" posts, I know we have quite a cross-section of players on here. So simply asked, what style/genre do you consider yourself. I understand that problably alot of you are seasoned enough to play many, if not all types of music, but pick one style that defines you closest. For me, even though I am influenced by everything from Steely-Dan, and Allen Parsons Project, to The faceless, and Mr.Bungle, I label myself as a "speed-metal' drummer. Mostly I favor playing stuff like Sepultura, Machine Head, Overkill, but I still like the trickier stuff like Lamb of God. I suck at Blast-beats, so I don't consider myself a Death-metal drummer. Funny that speed-metal drummers play slower patterns than death-metal guys do, huh. :twisted:

Brother_Bong

drummert2k":1kbby7oz said:
i'd perfer to be called a musician rather than a cirtain type of drummer.
Understood, no insult intended, I'm just trying to get a feel for the forum. I'm not telling anybody to Pigeon-hole themselves, just wondering. Reminds me of the old joke....What do you call a guy who hangs out with 3 musicians? A drummer! (BA-DITTA- BOOM, SQUELCH(MUTE)

drumsforlife

The group I'm with now plays a mix of folk/country/blue grass. We play a few covers of classic rock songs too, but bluegrass them up. It's quite interesting. The group I used to write and record with were alt/rock. I'm like drummert2k. I'm just a musician. I can play jazz, funk, fusion, prog, rock, metal, punk, reggae, calypso, latin, country, bluegrass, gospel, and any other mix of all those genres. My favorite thing to do is to mix a few styles together. Say southern rock/blues/prog/bluegrass/metal. How about that for a hell of a show? Confused? Exactly...

I love making people scratch their heads. But the trick is to sound good while doing it. I'm still working on the latter. I can already make people scratch their heads good enough.

Call me Gideon

I'm just a rock drummer. Currently playing punk but caught my addiction from that 90's Seattle sound. I'll play to anything but that's my preference.

seneca

I'll play a little bit of everything! Right down to adding a timpani as per John Bonham! :)

If I had to classify myself I'd say a "Progressive rock/metal, pop funk, deep groove oriented, technical punk, modern jazz/swing" styled. With an affection for odd-time signatures and poly rhythms! :)

Also, what would you consider my hand percussion? We'll say African? :)

Drumman74

Jazz/Funk/Fusion for me, with a little Drum and Bass thrown in there.... I've played many a genre, but this is where my roots are planted I guess...

Think in the realm of Jojo Mayer/ Terreon Gully...