What Is YOUR Favorite Wood Snare?

Dale

I own my two favourite snare drums. Sonor Artist Cottonwood maple 6 X 14" snare.

Sonor Delite maple 4.4 X 14" snare.

jimhawkins

Free Floating Maple -14x6.5 PEARL You asked, this is the nicest one I've heard. I sure would like one. Maybe one of these days.

zen_drummer

My favorite wood snare drum is a drum I call "the barkin' boy"

6.5 x 14 10 ply Jasper Maple Shell with old FIBES lugs on it, Gretsch Die Cast hoops, A Trick Throw-Off and a seriosuly insane custom paint job (looks like a clown should own it)

This thing has Snap, Crackle AND Pop... Quite possibly the most perfect wood snare drum ever made!

Johnfixious

By far the sizing i prefer is 7x13"
My primary snare is the Signature Akira Jimbo Yamaha Beech wood.
Wood hoops give this bad boy such a pure tone that i wouldn't even dream of using a two ply head on this beast. No muffling either.

So few people are aware of the incredible sound of Beechwood
It's a superlight weight wood, which makes it less expensive than maple birch or oak. It has the projection that is perfect for the live drummer equipped with a quality mic giving sound guy's plenty of room to add your snare in the mix without it being too over bearing.
Studio usage is like a dream, this baby has so much versatility that i can't begin to describe.
Tightly tuned it has a fantastic bass sound to it while still having the kick of a fast pop. Mid ranged tuning gives a the drum a very focused sound that is great for jazz, rock, blues, you name it.

I highly recommend more people check this one out. It's a beauty.

Johnfixious

Nice roger, i've also got an oak musashi 7x13 , i threw on die cast hoops though, puts a little control on that huge oak sound, which i personally dig.

percussionmafia

My favorite is my Zebrawood 13x5.5! I have 8 lug die cast hoops and a trick throw with a 40 strand puresound set of wires. The shell is staved and is just over a half inch thick. Its is crazy loud when you crack it is sensitive down lower and when you turn off the snares it will put timbales to shame. I LOVE THIS DRUM!!

phantom1

Yamaha 9000 14x6.5 in Black with a Remo CS Batter and a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute 14 x 6.5 in Plum Birch with an Evans Power center reverse dot.

Great sounds from both.

phantom1

Johnfixious":2e1oi3dx said:
i've got the plum maple kit from yamaha that they stopped making the color, do you have the matching birch kit?
Hi John.

I've just got the snare unfortunately.My kit is a black recording custom.

The plum is a lovely finish though isn't it?

slingerland66

anavrinIV":2o4vsoy3 said:
my 8 ply 6x14 vented maple
i know youre going to have a field day with my response but just know ive played your spaun drum... its good but its nowhere as good as my OCDP 14X6 maple 20 ply 4 3inch vents :D to each their own!

anavrinIV

slingerland66":2741jbdr said:
anavrinIV":2741jbdr said:
my 8 ply 6x14 vented maple
i know youre going to have a field day with my response but just know ive played your spaun drum... its good but its nowhere as good as my OCDP 14X6 maple 20 ply 4 3inch vents :D to each their own!
okay. congratulations on your amazingly better snare, im happy for you.