What is the differnce between...

SGarrett

Aside from the obvious ability to put the mic' into the drum with a port, the port dries out the tone of the kick by allowing (if I'm remembering correctly) 35% of the air to escape (with your standard sized port). This makes the drum a lot easier to mic' up and gat a good sound from. Mic'ing a solid front head would be like only mic'ing your toms from the resonant side. You get tone, but not as much definition to each note played.

cableman26

With a port hole when you strike the bass all the noise comes out the hole to the mike. Without one it's kinda like talking with a mike stuck to your throat, you can hear it, but not as good as if you had your mouth open talking into the mike. There's no one single place for all the sound to go to, without a hole.

I don't know if that made any damn sense..... :oops:

skitch

And some of it is about letting the engineer do it his way with his mic.

Back when Evans was marketing those retroscreens for the front head (appearance of a front head but had an open kick sound), I was watching the soundman mic up the kick drum for the opening act which had the infamous retroscreen on it. The engineer's prefered mic was a dual diaphram mic which catches both heads and was meant to be inside the drum. He was pissed! He had to set the mic up in front of the kick drum which meant that only one side of the mic was catching the kick drum sound. The other side was catching all of the stage noise. Turn up the kick drum and you turn up the stage noise, not to mention any feedback problems with a mic pointing at a monitor.

dbkman

cableman26":3nlpjyp5 said:
With a port hole when you strike the bass all the noise comes out the hole to the mike. Without one it's kinda like talking with a mike stuck to your throat, you can hear it, but not as good as if you had your mouth open talking into the mike. There's no one single place for all the sound to go to, without a hole.

this did make sense. good comparison dude. at least i thought so lol

GrindheadJim

dbkman":g7h3y5dz said:
cableman26":g7h3y5dz said:

this did make sense. good comparison dude. at least i thought so lol
Indeed. Speaking from experience, get a port hole and tune for it - I was a hard ass about not having a port when I was younger, and I paid the price in the studio.