what is the best way to play.....

john_bonham73

with a bass player that plays alot of power cords and down strokes? When learning new music he will follow the rhythm guitarist and pretty much match him note for note with root notes,but will keep a bottom end. I dont want my play to seem like Im following the rhythm guitarist. Whats your recommendations or opinions?

LadyThunder

Well, aside from a strong beat...

I usually listen deeply to the rhythm guitar and vocals and analyze the notes, lyrics and rhythms. I then will build a beat based on that analysis. But it never consists of every note that the rhythm guitar is playing.

I would think of it as accenting or embracing the certain notes and lyrics that move you the most... I will then polish and shape this drum beat once the lead and bass parts are written. Thus making the finished beat a true expression of your emotional attachment to the song. The way you write your drum parts can also vary between styles of music, good luck! 8)

Beej

It seems to me if he plays right along with the rhythm guitar, then you've got alot more fullness to your rhythm section. Case in point, it's still a rhythm section no matter what he does. It is the basis or foundation for that song. You do your thing in which sounds great with the song itself. Shouldn't matter what notes he's playing as long as it's with the melody and rhythm of the song and it comes together to make one cohesive song and not a bunch of jibberish. Did I spell jibberish right? It has just occured to me I've never spell that word before. But you know what I mean, right? lol

drummert2k

dont worry about what you think will make you sound like a great drummer. play what you think will make the whole band sound like a great band. be a musician, not just a drummer. like the old saying goes..... "play for the song, not for yourself." listening back on some of my first discs i recorded i wish i would have understood that back then. lol

Steven McTowelie

LadyThunder":2q1wzobl said:
Well, aside from a strong beat...

I usually listen deeply to the rhythm guitar and vocals and analyze the notes, lyrics and rhythms. I then will build a beat based on that analysis. But it never consists of every note that the rhythm guitar is playing.

I would think of it as accenting or embracing the certain notes and lyrics that move you the most... I will then polish and shape this drum beat once the lead and bass parts are written. Thus making the finished beat a true expression of your emotional attachment to the song. The way you write your drum parts can also vary between styles of music, good luck! 8)
i definitely agree, that's great advice. by accenting small things (especially within the vocals) and really listening to what your bassist is playing, you can come up with some great counter-rhythms that will not only be fun to play but also enhance the music.