What is the best program for arranging songs on your comp?

Multibomber

I'm tired on having songs only in my head. I want a program on my computer that I can use to at least sort of hear out what I'm thinking. I know there's Finale, but I dont know if you can lay down a guitar track on it or if you can program drums or anything like that. I just want something that will let me arbitrarily listen to what I'm writing to tell if its good or not and be able to save ideas so i dont forget. It would be nice to have the ability to add orquestral instruments like strings and brass as well. I dont know if I'd need a midi keyboard or if there's someway to do it all on the program... can anyone help?

PS: i have a laptop pc

wmpdrummer13

Look into the newest version of Fruity Loops, you can program drums very easily and record directly onto it. Or export your drum track to a better program for recording, like adobe audition or pro tools or many others.. All are pretty pricey tho.

Multibomber

Do any of those programs have a good guitar distortion? Can i plug my guitar into an i/o card thingy and get a good sound?

Guitar Rig 3, Amplitube, Alien ReValver, are guitar amp simulators. That's your best bet for getting distortion out of a program. They're plugins for programs and can be dropped into your track as effects. Record your guitar tracks dry, clean, or whatever, then drop one of the plugins on the track as an effect and set your sound and voila!

wmpdrummer13

Fruity Loops has a bunch of plugin applications that comes with it most of them are pretty decent but you are not really going to get a great sound out of a guitar unless you have it running through some type of pre-amp before you run through the computer. But def good enough for demos.

Multibomber

Ok, so I picked up FL Studio 8 XXL... I'm just gonna be using it for demo recording for myself. I did notice the EZ drummer plugin which is cool, gonna have to figure out how to ue that thingamajig.

Do you guys (or girls) know where to I can find all these cool guitar plugins? Of at least what they're all called to I can get em on Bit Torrent?

wmpdrummer13

Well i know on Fruity Loops the plugins should be in the FX menu under the presets, I dont have the newest version but thats where they are on mine, but you can load any of your own samples on there as well as other plugins.

Alan_

I like cubase, and have used it extensively. Nuendo, its big brother, has the same layout, but with a cleaner audio mixdown engine. Unfortunately, that clarity comes at a price.

I have been delving into ableton live 7 lately. a project I am producing and mixing is recorded in it, and I have done a few electronic tunes in it. So far, I'm quite impressed with its capabilities. It supports vst plugins well, enables you to warp audio effectively, and can also be used to dj out of/do live electronics with easily.

Multibomber

Cubase!! I've heard that its fantastic! Do I need a super computer to run it? What I'm looking for is basically Audacity + plugins for awesome guitar sounds - bugs that screw everything up. I think Cubase might be the answer. Any recommendations for a keyboard with great string sounds that wont cost a million bucks? I know precisely dick about keyboards, except that I can play piano pretty well.