What inspired you to play drums?

break the prism

Bill Bruford of King Crimson among other proggers

hip-hop bands like Jurassic 5 and Tek Nine, and most specifically ?estlove from The Roots.

MasterShake89

to be honest, right as i started playing, travis barker was the biggest influence to me in the world. A 10 year old is easily impressed. not saying hes bad or anything tho.

TheYardstick

Dave Grohl, particularly his fill from No One Knows by Queens Of The Stone Age, was awe-inspiring and originally inspired me to pick up the sticks.

drumsforlife

I really don't have a "known" drummer that inspired me. I know that I have "known" drummers that inspire me now, like, Chad Sexton, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart, the list goes on...

If I had to name a "known" drummer though, it would have to be Chad Sexton. He's precise and clever. Very creative. Plus he sounds damn good, being from DCI and all...

No, the person who first inspired me to pick up the sticks and beat on a drum was the lead snare in my marching band. His name was Dennis. I entered the marching band at my school on trumpet, but I left carrying a pair of sticks and a set of tenors. There's something more creative about playing drums that connects with me. And I thank Dennis to this day for inspiring me.

ddrumbum

stump":1hr1snk5 said:
What or who inspired you to start dedicating your time to the art of playing drums?
I started on the stupid trumpet, and just kept watching drummers, when I would listen to music, I just focused on the drummer, so I told my dad I wanted a drumset, so for christmas he bought me my first kit a Pearl president in sparkle blue, and the rest is history.

Wish I still had those drums.

drum man

My friends. They wanted to start a band and they were learning how to play the guitar and bass so i just got the drums think i would just play and have some fun, but I ended up loving playing and wanting to get better because of Joey Jordison and Chris Adler they were the two main ones that kicked me off.

Beej

I took drumming after my father. In addition to being a great dad, he showed me just how much fun music can be. He was a jazzy/big band type drummer and I loved to watch and listen to him play ever since I could remember, even though I didn't have ANY knowledge of the music he was playing, lol. I'd just watch and tell myself, "One of these days, I'm gonna be a drummer just like him." He passed away in 1986 when I was 16, but there's always apart of him with me when I play. Specially when I'm swingin or jazzin it up!

Brack

When I first became interested in drums, I was first influenced by the marching drumlines around my area. I was about 10 or 11 at the time, and something about marching quads(tenors) really inspired me to give it a shot and up to this day I am still involved with drumline.
It wasn't until I was about 13 that I started up on the set. My main influences in that area were mainly Lars, Alex Van Halen, and Chad Smith. At the time, those guys were the drummers for my favorite bands (they still are) and after hearing and watching them live, I was hooked for life.

mlumpkin13

The first time I heard Metallica's Ride The Lightning album in '84(I was only 6) I knew I wanted to play drums, and I started about 4 and a half years later.

transplants006

since i was a kid i have loved the drums.and as i grew up i found drummers like neil pert,crarter beauford,mike p.,so on to be a huge inspration.and not forgetting the man travis.

anavrinIV

since i was about 9 id wanted to be in a band and i thought drums would be cool. about 3 years later i went to my dads cousins house and he had a set...that was the first time i ever got to play a drum set and i was hooked for good. 2 years later, for my birthday, i got the set that i still have today.

PaulZILLA

honestly. i was in marching bad for tromobone for years, picked trombone over percusion in beggining band, because there were way too many percs. next semester there were none. but around here a decent drummer is few and far between, so i picked the kit up and started jamming, now its history

DrewDeLaPoots

the intro to Hot For Teacher by Van Halen. till this day i hear it and think to myself "jeez thats amazing"

also Ray Herrera from Fear Factory. Demanufacture is one of the best cd's of all time.

Tgaff08

yeah this sounds really dumb but honestly one big reason why i wanted to drum came from the band Hanson. yeah i know. you see my older brother played guitar at the time and the idea of playing in a band with him sounded really cool to me keep in mind i was like 8. fortunately my drum influences shifted to better drummers like bonham and rich, and i think i would have still wanted to drum reguardless but who really knows.

golfchance

Ringo Starr and Peter Criss were probably my earliest influences, but the first two drummers that inspired me to start studying seriously were Ian Paice and Joe Morello.

guilty_verdict

Tgaff08":1mnyg3zo said:
yeah this sounds really dumb but honestly one big reason why i wanted to drum came from the band Hanson. yeah i know. you see my older brother played guitar at the time and the idea of playing in a band with him sounded really cool to me keep in mind i was like 8. fortunately my drum influences shifted to better drummers like bonham and rich, and i think i would have still wanted to drum reguardless but who really knows.
For me it was hanson as well, I was 9 yrs old and hanson made a guest appearance on a show my family use to watch together each saturday, they were playing mmmbop and I was blown away by the fact that this tiny little kid was able to produce such a big sound, it was the first time i'd ever really seen a drum kit.
From that moment all I wanted to do was drum, i spent 4 years begging day in, day out before my folks decided it wasn't just a phase and gave in.

The love of hanson has worn off now, but the love of the drums lives on.