What famous drummer would you want to have as a teacher?

Qbs

From all the famous and great drummers who would you want to have as a teacher?
Mine would have to be either Danny Carey, Thomas Lang or Jojo Mayer

loop

I'd like Dom Famularo to be my teacher! I know that I would learn much with him and have great fun at the same time!

millsybaby

Tico Torres or Scott Coogan

I absolutley love both their styles of playing and the fills they come up with - would be awesome to tap into that.

If it was for "stage" though, not playing but pure showmansip - Tommy Lee. Or even just to say thanks to the guy who inspired me to pick up the sticks instead of a geetar.

I should add one final guy who i'm mortified i missed - Tommy Aldridge.

screamkevin

For Style: Neil Peart
For Showmanship: Tommy Lee or John Blackwell
For Groove: David Garibaldi
For Independence: Mike Mangini

NWCrusher

As for showmanship, Tommy Lee is usually credited, but guys like Tommy Aldridge, and Vik Foxx have a flashier array of tricks.

Mike Mangini is definately, Mr. Independence.

Masters of the pocket for me are Denny Carmassi, and Troy Luccketta. There beats are like a punch in the face :twisted:

Probably Mike Mangini, fastest drummer, independant, technique he could probably teach everything.

But lang, mayer, blackwell, rabb, wrekl would do fine. Although I'd love to meet Ian Paice again, he's my hero.

BillRayDrums

My favorite drummers to learn from are those who are in the age range of 8-15 years old. To me, all the technique and stuff is cool but it's the unbridled enthusiasm of someone "fresh on the boat" that drives me.

I have been playing drums for over 30 years now and some nights are harder than others. To see someone play that has a spirit and ebbulence about them that is infectuous really spurs me to capture that and apply it to my own bag.

~B

BillRayDrums

My favorite drummers to learn from are those who are in the age range of 8-15 years old. To me, all the technique and stuff is cool but it's the unbridled enthusiasm of someone "fresh on the boat" that drives me.

I have been playing drums for over 30 years now and some nights are harder than others. To see someone play that has a spirit and ebbulence about them that is infectuous really spurs me to capture that and apply it to my own bag.

~B

Flatliner

hmmm...probably Lang over anybody else.
I'd say someone like Chapin, but he's more a famous teacher rather than a famous drummer and there's more than a few famous teachers I'd pick over Thomas Lang, great drummer does not always = great teacher.