What Drum rug would you recommend?

nigefan05

I am looking to get a good quality drum rug for an affordable price - the room I want to set my drums up in has a nice wood floor, and I don't want them to get it scratched up. I would try to improvise and make something, but honestly I don't think I have any available materials that I would need. And any regular floor rugs I find in stores aren't the right size.

I've been trying to do some research into what's available on the net, and I really don't want to spend that much to buy one. How is the Cannon drum rug? It's a bit pricey I think, but as long as something really works I will be willing to consider it.

Any ideas?

screamkevin

One good bet that may save you some money is to find your local restaraunt supply store and price some of their indoor "runner" rugs. You know, the black rubber-bottomed rugs that are just inside the doors of every eating establishment? Those work great, and I'll bet they are WAY more durable than a regular drum rug. They are made for high-traffic. Just a thought.

nigefan05

Ok thanks, I would have never thought of that. I'll keep that in mind - who knows where they get those... probably have to order them. I'll try to ask around though.

scrubs

I've had the Kaces Crash Pad for about a year and it has served me well so far. The wood block keeps the kick from creeping and the corners are weighted to keep them down.

Alcyon

I went to Home Depot and bought a 5x4 swath of burbery carpeting, with a little yellow rubber pad underneath to keep it there. Works great on my garage's concrete floor, and my drums make indents in it so I know where to put stuff when I move them.

zen_drummer

screamkevin":1hp8bnbb said:
One good bet that may save you some money is to find your local restaraunt supply store and price some of their indoor "runner" rugs. You know, the black rubber-bottomed rugs that are just inside the doors of every eating establishment? Those work great, and I'll bet they are WAY more durable than a regular drum rug. They are made for high-traffic. Just a thought.
That is exactly what I use, but I installed "drum ruggers" on the rug.

http://www.amazon.com/Drum-Ruggers-Anch ... nstruments

Rockula!

The other thing about food service "grip mats" is that you can take them to a car wash and blast the crap out of them in the mat clips on the wall
It cleans the road out of the mat (if you know what I mean)
I like mine because it has the little squares on it

cgaffka

Alcyon":1jevit7s said:
I went to Home Depot and bought a 5x4 swath of burbery carpeting, with a little yellow rubber pad underneath to keep it there. Works great on my garage's concrete floor, and my drums make indents in it so I know where to put stuff when I move them.
yeh man.. back of my local home depot store has a huge box of rugs like 8 bucks a piece.. ive had mine for almost a year now and still works perfectly fine.. no need to spend more then that

Buddylee78

if you haven't found something yet....

i was in the same situation you were in - cept i needed my rug to come with me from show to show -

i bought an ok floor rug - 5 by 8 i think -

and i bought two metal plates, and two metal plates with like a wedge to em (if that makes sense)

i bolted the wedge parts on top and the metal plates on the bottom - and put them right where my legs go -

i have yet to "lose" my bassdrum during a show -

the wedge is shaped like this |_| and it's about a half an inch tall

i know this is very vague so let me know if you want more detail on it
best of luck

The Duster

I've used the Kases Crash Pad as well, and am pleased with it. but if you're using it on a hardwood floor that you don't want damaged, I suggest getting a piece of carpeting foam (whatever it's called) to put underneath, to protect the floor a bit more.

If you always set up your kit the same way, consider this...
1)get a piece of plywood that is large enough to fit your entire kit, your throne and all stands. (1/2" thick or so)

2) st up your kit to exactly how you like it, and outline everything on the wood. You can drill indents into the wood a short ways where the kick drum legs sit. this way your kick drum can still be off the wood without slipping, since the legs aren't going anywhere.

3) drill/cut/sand grooves into the plywood where your stands are, and add velcro if you'd like. Nothing will move and everything will be in the exact same place every time.

4) To make this behemoth more transportable, cut the wood into three pieces and add a couple simple hinges on the drum side of the wood. By making indents rather than adding wood blocks as "creep-stoppers," you can fold the plywood up onto itself like you were shuddering a window. Unless your kit is set up in an unorthodox way, it will fit on practically any stage, and into the back of any car that can haul a drumset.

This works especially well if you're using a drumrack. You'll be amazed at how much the plywood reduces your setup time, and how much it kills drum creep. And it will smell better than carpet too!

IamBilluRnot

While I don't condone thievery, I have to say I get my drum rugs from club entrances. Once they get too dirty and beer soaked, I put it back and take a cleaner one. They're great because they're made to take a beating, they have rubber bottoms and they're black. You could also ask a club or bar that you may be friends with to order an extra one and you can get a clean one whenever you need to.

PDP9000

i just bought a Kaces KCP-5 Crash Pad Drum Rug its pretty big but i had to buy two to fit my whole kit on it :D but its a very good rug and none of your stuff will slip on it.