I bought a really cheap pearl export off eBay as a practice kit and thought I'd try my hand at customising them so I took all the hardware off and stripped off the wrap.
Then I plugged the tom arm holes and sanded them down. I then sprayed them with car paint from Halfords (3 coats of primer and 5 coats of matt black).
Next I got a sign writer to cut out the design at the right size on some silver sticky plastic stuff (the stuff they put on vehicles), stuck them on and sprayed 5 thin coats of clear laquer over the top.
I had all the hardware powder coated matt black and bought some optimounts. Put them all together and voila!
Doing this really made these old export drums sound awesome too, I don't know why but they really kick ass now. I just need to learn how to play!