What do you tell when you come home with new cymbals?

drummingpraetor

OK, cymbals are an addiction(as well as any other drums-connected gear :wink: ). Each one sounds different. I have bought 3 in the past 6 months. What do you tell your wife/husband/mother/father when you come home with another? I have to hide money in my Bass drum case to fund additional ones. Oh what we have to do!

sharkscott

I would rather be addicted to buying cymbals, which I am when I have the money, then to be addicted to other things.. :wink: :wink:

Johnny Cat

drummingpraetor":3uapwmod said:
OK, cymbals are an addiction(as well as any other drums-connected gear :wink: ). Each one sounds different. I have bought 3 in the past 6 months. What do you tell your wife/husband/mother/father when you come home with another? I have to hide money in my Bass drum case to fund additional ones. Oh what we have to do!
Fortunately I don't have to explain myself to anyone. I just have to be able to look myself in the mirror the next morning. :p It's true. Maybe we should start a support group. lol

Rob Crisp

I used the line "my friend lent me this one to see how nice it is" once... :p Sure they didn't believe me but they didn't ask awkward questions either haha!

devilspain

yeah same same i dont tell anybody. and if they notice im like "iv had it for ages!!!" *ahem* lol my gf looks disapproving, and wonders when the hell is he gonna spend money on me!!!

Sinisterdrums

i just say its suporrting a good habit.
my parents could care less. and my girlfriend loved it in the end.

so dont be afraid to buy cymbals around your wife/mom/dad/girlfriend. just explain, its nessesary to " better" your drumming capabilities.

-Rick

Vetis

My dad asks me why I buy so many cymbals and my response is the same every time. " Why is it that you have bought so many guns?" and he tends to not ask again for a while. lol. Everybody has their passion.

anavrinIV

my dad doesnt usually ask...he used to buy and sell guitars like crazy so he understands. my mom always asks and my response is "my other ones were crap" and she usually leaves it alone. the last time i bought cymbals i spent $500 and came home with 4 new cymbals so its not really something i could hide.

soliddrummer

I just saved a bucket load by getting a friend to bring some A Custom's over from Canada. They get here in a week!

Generally folks don't understand justifying spending that kind of money on metal....and wonder where all my money goes....

Ahh, but it's SO worth it playing the best cymbals! (Well, other than high-end Paiste's)

Dale

Yesterday I bought a lovely Meinl Byzance 20" heavy ride, brand new for just $280.00!!!

The guy in the shop told me that nobody seems to want Meinl. All they care about is the Big Three. As far as I could tell, the Meinl was just as good as those of the BT only hundreds of dollars cheaper. He's still got some Byzance crash cymbals and they are going for a song. I might grab them next week. I tend not to buy crash cymbals, preferring cymbals that can be ridden and crashed. The crashability of that heavy ride is supperb. I'm very impressed.

stump

I don't have to ask. When I need a new cymbal I get it. My wife and I both work and make enough money to where I don't have to ask. It also helps that she is VERY supportive when it comes to the band and doing what I love. Hell...she bought me a Harley Davidson, why would she bitch about a cymbal? Peace!

vahnn

I get home and make sure my entire kit is tuned up the way i like it, and i play a favorite groove or song with everything as it is.

then i throw in the new cymbals.

it's like a ritual for me.

drumschick07

Unfortunately I'm the one of those people that have to hide it...

Seems like everytime I buy something new I hear "Why are you spending your money? you know you're going to college this fall"

My dad doesn't mind really, but my mom asks questions. I just lie and say it was 20-30 dollars cheaper. OR I use the "I traded my other ones in" lol.

They always ask why I need more...I don't really know lol