What Do You Need To Know To Be A Good Drum Instructor?

I recently started giving drum lessons from beginner to intermediate drummers, and I just thought I'd make this post to see what everyone's opinions on what you need to know to be a good drum instructor are. I'm starting students out by teaching them how to read, rudiments, and things like that, and for a portion of a lesson I'll also teach them parts of songs they're working on if they ask. Just thought I'd see what feedback I could get.

BillRayDrums

Reading- Knowing how to read and write out beats using STANDARD NOTATION is very important. Tablature, while very popular is a highly limiting system.

Styles- Have a broad vocabulary of beats and feels to be able to display, as well as knowing all of the 40 standard rudiments. Also be able to give fill examples using rudimental concepts.

Timekeeping- Be able to play with a metronome very comfortably at any speed, as you'll be displaying relaxation skills often.

Ergonomics- The ability to size up a player's skills by looking at the way their drums are set up and make suggestions on what can help improve their flow.

Playing with music- use some of the many playalong tracks that are out there to allow your students to play through something musical. I used to sit with my students and help them write "road maps" of the playalong track that looked something like this-

Intro 4x
Vs 1 8x ||: 1 & (2) & (3) & 4 : || <--this is where notes on feel or other figures are written
Chorus 16x
vs 2 8x
Bridge 8 x
Solo 32x
Vs 3 8 x
Chorus 32x (double chorus)
out 8 x

Simple and effective- this is kind of derived from what's known as the "Nashville Number System".

Anyhow, the hardest thing I found while teaching was staying enthused throughout the day. I used to run 30+ students through my house in 4 days over the course of the week (about 8 per day, 1/2 hr lessons) And you will do good to leave a little break here and there- say, every third lesson take a 1/2 hr for yourself.

Hope this helps!!

~B

drummert2k

BillRayDrums":8s8mvqpd said:
Reading- Knowing how to read and write out beats using STANDARD NOTATION is very important. Tablature, while very popular is a highly limiting system.

Styles- Have a broad vocabulary of beats and feels to be able to display, as well as knowing all of the 40 standard rudiments. Also be able to give fill examples using rudimental concepts.

Timekeeping- Be able to play with a metronome very comfortably at any speed, as you'll be displaying relaxation skills often.

Ergonomics- The ability to size up a player's skills by looking at the way their drums are set up and make suggestions on what can help improve their flow.

Playing with music- use some of the many playalong tracks that are out there to allow your students to play through something musical. I used to sit with my students and help them write "road maps" of the playalong track that looked something like this-

Intro 4x
Vs 1 8x ||: 1 & (2) & (3) & 4 : || <--this is where notes on feel or other figures are written
Chorus 16x
vs 2 8x
Bridge 8 x
Solo 32x
Vs 3 8 x
Chorus 32x (double chorus)
out 8 x

Simple and effective- this is kind of derived from what's known as the "Nashville Number System".

Anyhow, the hardest thing I found while teaching was staying enthused throughout the day. I used to run 30+ students through my house in 4 days over the course of the week (about 8 per day, 1/2 hr lessons) And you will do good to leave a little break here and there- say, every third lesson take a 1/2 hr for yourself.

Hope this helps!!

~B
i'd also like to add that you could be the greatest drummer in the world but a huge thing is to really no how to convey ideas to someone who basically has no clue. you have to have a knack for teaching and explaining things in a way that someone who has no concept of it can understand it. and you have to do so in a way that makes the student want to bust his or her butt on this and hash it out.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, it really does help! I'm having a good time teaching and I'm getting positive feedback from the students I have so far, and the advice definitely helps me.