what do you consider is the best electronic drumset

i know king crimson uses the roland v pro

i would like to buy a kit someday and i would like to know what you consider the best overall electronic kit

m

I've tried every brand I could get my hands on, and went with the Roland TD20 module. I already had a V-pro kit with the previous module so I didn't buy a whole set, the old pads work just fine, but the new module offered some cool features and great sound.

I've played Yamaha and Ddrum, and had to use Alesis modules in the distant past, and I prefer Roland to all of them.

Ddrum makes (made?) a great module with very realistic sounds, but it's so OLD now- they haven't upgraded for a LONG time. I don't trust their E-drum involvement anymore, didn't want to get into a brand that may be fading.
Looks like they're fully committed to acoustics now.
But I guess a used Ddrum module might be worth looking into. I don't care for their pads though.

I've also tried as many brands of triggers/pads as I could, to see what felt and held up the best. Ended up narrowing that down mostly to Roland too.

If A-level endoresements mean anything to you, the Roland V-drums are also used by Neil Peart (Rush tours with the older TD10 setup), Thomas Lang, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, etc.

EyeJuan2Rock

markojett said:
Hart is an excellent choice also. I've had a Hart kit for 3 years now and it is awesome.
Wouldn't mind hearing more input on this from people that have bought/used/played them before. Even more specifically, the differences between the Roland lines.

Thanks!

PS - Btw, if anyone would care to explain to me how the quote feature works, I'd appreciate that too. (watch this one come out right) Most of the time, when I click "quote", the post just shows up as .html text as opposed to being neatly placed in a box above my post. I must be doing something wrong, cause this isn't happening to other people.

markojett

When I was shopping, I played both Roland & Hart kits. They are both excellent choices...The reason I went with Hart over Roland is that the Hart drums were made of chrome and seemed more durable than the plastic Roland drums. Also, Hart has a lifetime warranty on all drums, cymbals, and hardware. If you'd like to see / hear my kit, it is here - www.myspace.com/markoramsey

I don't think you can go wrong either way...It's just a personal preference.

EyeJuan2Rock

markojett said:
When I was shopping, I played both Roland & Hart kits. They are both excellent choices...The reason I went with Hart over Roland is that the Hart drums were made of chrome and seemed more durable than the plastic Roland drums. Also, Hart has a lifetime warranty on all drums, cymbals, and hardware. If you'd like to see / hear my kit, it is here - www.myspace.com/markoramsey

I don't think you can go wrong either way...It's just a personal preference.
That looks like so much fun! Nice job, dude. I sent an add req. on Myspace 2. :)

So if you have time, explain a little about the mix... acoustic/regular cymbals w/electronic drums? I'm sure it sounds kick ass live. I'm kind of looking for some practice solutions that won't drive my family crazy, though. Guess I could always use mufflers w/regular cymbals & trigger the cymbals too.

How is the Hart "brain" module? (is that the right term for it?)

markojett

Actually, the cymbals are Hart also...They are a "bulletproof" plastic that also have the lifetime warranty. I've yet to break one, but I have chipped off the gold paint. I've found that gold model paint works perfectly for touch-ups. This was another deciding factor for choosing Hart...Roland cymbals are black rubber, and begin to look "chalky" after awhile. Mine are several years old and still look like shiny cymbals! Hart does not make any type of module, so I use the TD-7, TD-8's, & a TD-10. In my humble opinion, Roland does make the best modules. Also, with the plastic cymbals, practices in my room are almost silent to everyone else in the house. Thanks for the Myspace add!

m

I tried various Hart and Pintech triggers, and they ended up giving me a lot of trouble and I eventually phased them out.

in my last touring phase I used acoustic cymbals with a hybrid kit of Roland tom pads and a triggered acoustic bass and snare. It felt like a really good rig to me; I liked that soundmen couldn't destroy my tone as easily and miking was very simple (2 overheads and you're done)
I could get the same tone pretty much everywhere we played, and in a smaller venue it was much more controllable than an acoustic set would have been.

pasta

See my signature! IMO you get way more bang for your buck with Hart. They don't make modules so I'd suggest you go with Roland. The Hart heads are not as bouncy as the Rolands so many people feel it's an easier transition back to acoustic drums.
I got my kit and module at RMC Audio and they're having a bunch of specials on Harts right now. You'll need to email or call for a quote because their prices are too far below MSRP to advertise, but it's worth your time for the money you'll save.
HTH

johnnyd777

With markojet's love of HART's I have to take a look at them again.......I have heard GREAT things about them.....just have to do some more looking and match up a Roland brain if I go that direction.
I added ya to my myspace marko....its a band site...but am the only one that monitors the darn thing!!!! :D

Johnny

Jesus

I've owned a Roland TD-6V for about 3 years now (Yes, it is quite old). The sound is Roland, top notch untill someone like Yahmaha surpasses it. Vdrums are an awsome choice, but NOT WITH PINTECH V-PADS. Do NOT get them no matter what. The triggering wears down to the point of no return, misfiring or even not sounding when hit. I use mesh heads, and the series of cymbals I have (can't remember them since I haven't played on it for a bit) are quite crappy. They're pintech, they broke too easily.
I do not know about the other companies like Hart, but Roland sounds excellent. Just do not get the V-Pads, or else Inferno will come and decapitate you.