What do non-drummers say about your gear?

meffajeffa

Greetings, everyone :)

We have some threads here about what we think of our gear, what we think of other drummers' gear...but I'm curious: what do other musicians say to you - if anything - about your equipment? I'm thinking along the lines of:

- comments from other musicians non-drummers, non-percussionists) in your band
- comments you get from other musicians who are in the audience
- requests for certain bits of gear ("Hey, bring that piccolo snare next time...", or "Do you REALLY have to use that china cymbal?")
- comments about tuning ("Your toms sustain too much...your toms don't sustain long enough...")

Or anything else along these lines. Or, if you don't ever get any comments, please share that as well.

If you care to share anything on this topic, please also mention the context(s) of these comments - recording sessions vs. live performances vs. jam sessions vs. rehearsals, the styles of music you play, etc. I'm just curious to compare how we view our equipment, vs. how our peers view our equipment.

meffajeffa

The Alien Drummer

Lets see..... Here's a few live questions:

Can't you just play a 3 piece kit?

Do you have to have so many cymbals?

Your bass drum head is really cool!

Your ride cymbal is LOUD!

I thought you were getting in on the other side. (anyone else get that one?)

You didn't bring the cowbell?

Is that cymbal new?

I don't think I've ever played with someone that noticed tom sustain or a difference in my snare sounds. It would be nice to have someone notice the things we do, just hasn't happened to me yet.

Fact is, I switched from a starclassic birch kit with a 20" kick (indigo blue) to a mapex pro M with a 24" kick (black) and we had been at the club for over an hour before our guitar player noticed.

Qbs

the most often from all non-drummer people (especially girls :>) is "you have a nice colorful set of drum" :)
as far as musician's comments it usually is something like "dude, does that cymbal have to be SO loud?" ;]

mapexdrummer

live shows:
i love ur china how many diff sounds u get from it!

ur wood is warped [i know stupid!]

i like the way ur toms sustan n have alot of attack

ur snare sounds weird without the band...but with the band it sounds like a cak..[love that one! all in the tuning fellas!]

i like the big red shiney set of banging drums u bang on! n ur cute too! [:D]

recording:
the heads to make the difference!!!

ur style changes when u play live from recording

ur cymbals dont cover the band i like it!

jam out sessions:
ur toms always sound good man...its the heads!

ur bass sounds beautiful!!!

ever since u got those evans heads wow...

just hit the shit outta ur cymbals man...

ur wood is warped [damn haters! its just the lacquor! the inside is kool!!!!]

man...alot more stuff has been said but meh im lazy!!! thats y i love largo!!!!! :D

ytsejam1337

The one that I usualy get is... "Do you honestly need all that?"

And my kit isn't even that large!

I hopefully will have pictures soon and a performance so you guys will understand more

Johnny Cat

"Why do you have so much stuff??"

"There's no way you'll ever use all of that stuff."

"So I see you're an eBay junky....."

"I love the sound of your snare."

"I got a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell."

"Looks like you've got a fever and the only cure is more cowbell."

"Do you always come in to sit behind your kit from the same side?"

"Can't you turn them down??"

"So what happens when you finally have everything you need? Then what are you going to buy?"

"Holy shit! I've spent less than that on a frickin' car!"

"Can't you muffle them just a little bit?"

"I don't care what you say, we're going to have to take the front head off the kick." (Grrrrrr! Clearly a very lazy and/or inexperienced engineer if I've ever met one.)

And my personal favorite:

"You have to tune drums??"

elchris2k6

I always get...we cant record w/ in here because of those loud ass drums, your set is too small, get some more toms...then after i play...wow u really can rock that three piece haha...ive got the "you can tune drums?" from ppl too...and i wish i could get the "do drummers do it in rhythm?" haha

rufus4dagruv

When I gig out with my vintage Premier kit I get tons of comments because they're beautiful. When I first started gigging with my Gretsch Renown Maple, I didn't get as many comments from people who would come out to see us. It's a nice kit, but the cherry red doesn't jump out the way the tiger wrap on the Premier's does.

My lead singer notices the tonal differences between the two kits because he listens to everything.

Vetis

So I must be the only drummer who's band dosent notice jack shit. haha!

I put a new head on my snare to see if I could dabble with the ghost notes and more accented hits, but I couldnt get the head to sound good and it was getting lost when we played, and nobody even noticed it.

And lastnight at practice I decided to test their awareness again and hit my 8 inch tom every time I was supposed to hit the snare...nobody even looked. It was a sad day.

stevo

lets see.

non-musicians
'the tops of your drums are all beat up'

'why are your sticks chipped?'

'thats fucking loud, can you pay lighter?'

'haha u make a funny face when u drum'(only non-musicians notice the drummer face)

musicians (non drummers)

'dude when i get near your kick it fucking pushes me back'

'could u stop keeping time on the crash? i think i need an advil'

'dude play that thing people play when somebody makes a joke'

'dude i didnt make that crack in your hi-hat!' (right after i watch them)

yeah, lotta stuff

Cameraman

"Haha... that cymbal is SO loud"

"Just play a beat like BOOM BOOM CHOP CHOP BOOM BOOM CHOP DING"

"Why'd you replace the sweet Joey Jordison head?"

"I like all the stickers on your bass drum... tool, system of a down, etc."

"Just play really fast double bass for a really long time"

"So, how much in debt are you now?"

"Do you really use all of that?"

"Why do you have that little cymbal?"

"You always look expressionless when you play drums"

"Those are some shiny drums. Shiny and theres a lot of them"

"Badass"

"Dude two basses is for douchebags"

"Slipknot sucks"

And my personal favorite - "Nice"

screamkevin

1. "Those are some awesome looking drums!"
2. "Love the front heads!"
3. "What kind of cymbals are those?"
4. "Can I jam on your drumset?" (NO!)

drummerkev

"If you were a real drummer . . . .." blah blah blah
This is usally a guitar player talking. They tell me how I just need a hi hat kick and snare. I tell them that they should go get a fucking drum machine to solo along with and stop waisting my time. I would also like to be inventive with what I do as well, and sue me if I used a few splash cymbals to create something more that just your garden variety drum sound.
I don't play a "Neil Peart" set, but I certainly like more options than just a ride and crash.
. . . . .
and the girls admire how shiny it is! :D

quikstang2

"Your kick is the best kick I've ever heard." (4 drummers, 5 other musicians and 10 non-musicians. It was my Vintage Premier birch 22x14"~roughly)

"I hope you're not using that piccalo as your main snare because it won't have any low end and we won't be able to hear it." And after the show... "Wow, your snare was really loud, sounded really good and had some grunt to it." (from a drummer and sound guy talking about my Mapex 14x3.5" phosphor bronze snare.)

"Couldn't you just play with a kick, snare and one tom?"

"Damn, those drums are yellow!"

"That snare sounds amazing!" (drummers, non-drummers, non-musicians about my Mapex Black Panthers)

"You can play with sticks that have chips in them?"

"Where'd you get those toy cymbals?" (asking about my splashes...this has been asked many times)

"Can't you play everything exactly the same on a 4-piece that you do on a 10-piece?" (If I could I would have saved the money on the new set and just played my vintage Premiers you douche.)

"Why did you break your cymbal?" (Because I wanted to.)

"Why don't you just play a 4-piece since every other hardcore drummer does?" (Because I can play a bigger set....hell, because I can play drums period.)...no offense to the few hxc drummers that can actually play.

"Why do you hit the drums so hard?" (Because I'm pissed off and I'm playing metal.)

"You definately can't fit that set in a sports car."

"Could you kill someone with those?" (About bass drum spurs...so I poked him really hard to find out.)

"Can I play them?" / "Can you play drums?" / "No." / "NO!"

"I like the black heads on the bottom of your toms...I knew a kid who had those too and he sucked.........you don't suck though! Please don't hit me!"

"Would the bass drum pedal hurt if you hit someone in the leg with it?" Yes.

"It doesn't sound good when you play that big plate thing. You should only play those little ones, it sounds better that way." (She almost got a roundhouse kick to the face...almost...)

Yeah, I've gotten a lot of dumb comments and questions.

madoox87

"really nice kit bro"

"your shit sounds awesome"

"What are triggers?"

"your the hardest hitter I've ever seen"

I also love it when someone who doesnt play at all looks at your drumsticks and says: "what do you chew your drumsticks or something?"

grimey mike

Vetis":2wwmnqc1 said:
So I must be the only drummer who's band dosent notice jack shit. haha!

I put a new head on my snare to see if I could dabble with the ghost notes and more accented hits, but I couldnt get the head to sound good and it was getting lost when we played, and nobody even noticed it.

And lastnight at practice I decided to test their awareness again and hit my 8 inch tom every time I was supposed to hit the snare...nobody even looked. It was a sad day.
haha i know how you feel! i dont think my band even noticed when i got another kit! i always notice stuff they do and get!

The Heel

ytsejam1337":1apg1rgs said:
The one that I usualy get is... "Do you honestly need all that?"

And my kit isn't even that large!
Same boat here.

I get the "Do you have to take up so much room?"

My one guitar player tells me daily how amazing he thinks my kit sounds.

The other guitar player asks me "How come you dont set up your splashes anymore?" Of course... thats while they're set up in front of me.

He's the same guy who asks me "Your bass drum sounds good... but not like a trigger."

GOD I hate that one. Doesnt he understand I DONT WANT it to sound like a trigger?

I also use a weird set up. A ten inch up tom and 12 and 16 hanging floors. So I get sound guys telling me "Your floor tom is too low compared to your kit... tune it higher." Its just impossible to tell some of these guys I do it on purpose until after the show is over and they see for themselves.

My bass player always stands on my hi-hat side near my 14" A custom which I use frequently and my snare... so he's usually saying to me "WHAT!? WHAT!?"

I love the comment "Its so easy to be a drummer... you dont have to buy strings." from my guitar players.

And "You're lucky... you get to sit down all night."