What closed hi-hat would you recommend.

Qbs

In the near future I'm playing on adding a permanently closed second hi-hat to my kit. I'm thinking about 8" or 10" (since my primary is 12" :) ) and because I need it to cut through nicely I was thinking about combining some bell on top of a thin splash.
What would you recommend?

paul89

I've been thinking about mini hi hat 8" , which will be made with two splashes, but I don't know how it sounds... :)

Qbs

I think that two thin cymbals won't provide enough 'chick' to cut through nicely...
I've played a 10" splash that I've made from two Paiste splashes - New Alpha/New Signature and it sounded cool but IMHO the closed sound didn't cut well enough for my taste. That is why I think that a heavier top cymbal would help.

Qbs

if the price is right ;)
I want to spent maximum 100$ so I know that I will be looking for some second hand hats or that I will but a splash and a bell...

loop

I'm afraid that you'll have some serious problems finding a good second hand hat in such a small size...unfortunately

I'VE SEEN QUITE A FEW INTERESTING THINGS DONE WITH BELLS OR CUP CHIMES(BOZZIO ANYONE?) AS SECONDARY HAT'S, BUT NO MATTER WHAT WHEN YOU GO TO HAT'S THAT SMALL IT'S GONNA BE A SPECIAL EFX TYPE SOUND IN MY OPINION. MINNEMAN, LANG, BOZZIO ALL HAVE AMAZING THINGS THEY DO WITH THEM. MAYBE CHECKING SOME OF THERE STUFF OUT WILL HELP NARROW YOUR CHOICES. OBVIOUSLY IT WILL DEPEND ON THE MUSIC YOU PLAY AS WELL AS FAR AS WHAT SOUND YOU'RE GOING FOR. GOOD LUCK.

Qbs

well today I purchased gibraltar X-hat :) finally :) now I'm thinking of making a hi hat out of 10" china and a 10" or 8" splash on top :) I think that Jojo Mayer uses something like that.

Qbs

than again I've heard some recordings where the closed hats where made of Istanbul Agop Bell 12" on top and Agop Heavy Splash 12" as the bottom cymbal... it sounded very very cool

loop

Qbs":1nrmhvfv said:
than again I've heard some recordings where the closed hats where made of Istanbul Agop Bell 12" on top and Agop Heavy Splash 12" as the bottom cymbal... it sounded very very cool

But you already own 12 hats. Try something smaller:)

Qbs

exactly. but than again I wonder if smaller closed hats will cut through well enough - I'm looking for something with a really nice chick but with enough volume to cut through.

dannydrumperc

Hunt ebay for Zildjian's EFX#1 (discontinued). Those were a cross between splash and chime cymbals. Quite heavy and loud for their small size (10" I guess). Have heard of many people using them as auxiliary hats.

Also Zildjian is offering small hihats on their new ZHT series.

Qbs

those ZHT would seem cool I suppose but they're way over 100$ budget :) currently I'm getting really close to buying a second hand Istanbul Agop Turk Bell 10" (for the top cymbal) and some used cheap bronze splash for the bottom cymbal :)

Qbs

so it's official :)
my new closed aux 10" hi hat consists of:
istanbul agop turk bell (top)
stagg sh splash (bottom)

it has a really nice chick, so it's just what I wanted and I believe that I owe it mainly to the agop bell cuz when I put the splash on top the sound was awful, the stagg cymbal alone also sound like a bunch of crap
the sweetes thing is that the two cymbals cost me total ~66$

Dale

This is really hard to answer because it depends on your ears and the sound you like. I can think of heaps of combinations.

LP Ice bell on top with a Z, A or K splash beneath.

2 garbage can lids. Bigger than you desire, but awesome sound!

10" stainless steel bucket cut abour 4" from the base with any splash or hi hat top above.

10" Remo Spoxe on the bottom with any splash or hi hat top above. I've used this and it sounds great.

The combinations are limited to your imagination really.