What closed hi-hat attachement?

Qbs

What closed hi-hat attachement would you recommed?

I was thinking about Gibraltar but both models are unavaible in Poland and currently I'm thinking about Sonor 400 series:

any thoughts? suggestions?

Qbs

finally I got my Gibraltar X-hat :) it seems kind of cool although it's lacking keyhole protection for the bottom cymbal :?

quikstang2

I've only used the Tama one so I can't compare it to anything else, but I don't like it.

If I decide to play with two hats when I get my next kit I'll probably throw a Gibraltar remote hi-hat on the set.

GuRu

what is wrong with the Tama x-hat?

I consider adding secondary hat to my set in the further future and thought just about tama product.

TDRUMP

NO ATTACHMENT. THAT'S THE BEST. I WOULD RECOMMEND GETTING ANOTHER HI-HAT ALWAYS CLOSED, SO WHEN YOU'RE DOUBLE KICKIN' IT YOU CAN PLAY THAT INSTEAD OF THE OPEN HI-HATS. BUT THEN AGAIN, THAT'S THE OPINION OF ONE DRUMMER OUT OF ????????

BillRayDrums

I like the DW one. It has a clutch on it and closely resembles a regular HH stand.

I would make a slight modification though- get some Loc-tite low-strength and apply it to the threads of the rod.

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/locti ... 9&layout=3

By doing this, your x-hats won't loosen up (or tighten up). They stay how you like them. DO NOT get the high-strength stuff, as you will permanently freeze the threads and it will take a torch to break it loose. The low-strength gums up the threads just enough that they won't move.

HEVY KEVY

I think mine is a Gibralter, you can see it in my pics at myspace.com/boomtapcrash I love it, I need to remember to set it for the next song though. I can set the tension where I want by just grabbing the cymbals and spinning them. It's a cool effect to roll on the cymbals while they are spinning!

Vetis

I would save myself some money and buy the DW drop clutch attachment for your main hi-hat stand.

It's cheap, it's effective, and you wont have any extra , unnessesary equipment to lug around.

( I have a friend who's kit has 3 hi-hats on it...it's a bitch..)

quikstang2

Guru - The Tama x-hat attachment seems like some babaric chunk of metal to me. The screw threads are starting to wear out now. It's not very adjustable either. It's got a little lever that you can use to clamp them down a little more, but if you ever lift the lever and play them, it'll close itself again. It's also got no keyhole protection. Just playing on it in general is annoying. It seems to make your hi-hats dead somehow and it seems like they're actually harder to play. Maybe it's because the top hat sits on the lower hat and isn't held up by a clutch like other systems. I just haven't had any luck with it. Try one and see what you think.

I though about getting another hi-hat stand, but it's too much hardware and it'll get in the way or won't fit where I want to put it. I'm thinking a remote hi-hat it the way to go if I can't find an auxiliary that works good.

prl_drmer_08

I have the tama closed hat attachment and I do not recommend it. I'm looking into the pearl closed hat attachment for when I get my new pearl set.

l_e_i_g_h

Hmm....anyone have any decent alternatives? (Re: protecting the bottom hat from keyholing). I've always thought about hi-hat clutches that let the metal in contact witht the top hat. I've never tried looking at new hi-hat stands...if they address this problem.

Ramble...Ramble...ramble...all mine.

Leigh. :)

Qbs":10gtvc18 said:
finally I got my Gibraltar X-hat :) it seems kind of cool although it's lacking keyhole protection for the bottom cymbal :?

Qbs

Leigh: I've solved the problem by putting a plastic protector from an old cymbal stand.

Ticknonstop

Tama Cobra clutch all the way once you learn to use your foot the possibilities are endless (you can adjust the hi hat posisition with it) bad thing is they don't make it for lefties