Weard things about your playing ?

Dude_on_Drums

I thought this would be a cool topic.

I'll start...
When I play double bassdrum-patterns, I lead with my left foot, although I'm a righthanded drummer.
I always thought this was a freaky aspect of my playing, until I recently got the "All access to drumming" DVD by Eric Singer. He also does that... And since this guy is my God, I just accept my "handicap".

Anyone else out there doing weard things whilst playing? Maybe we can get together and join a freakshow or something :lol:

racefan33

Cool topic. I do the same thing with quads. I always go RL with my hands but LR with my feet. But if I start a pattern with my feet I start with my right.

One odd thing that I do is I do a lot of rim shots on my toms. I like the sound but it's not something I initially tried to start doing I just noticed that I do it quite a bit.

dwtoast72

Dude_on_Drums":19kvr858 said:

I'll start...
When I play double bassdrum-patterns, I lead with my left foot, although I'm a righthanded drummer.
I always thought this was a freaky aspect of my playing, until I recently got the "All access to drumming" DVD by Eric Singer. He also does that... And since this guy is my God, I just accept my "handicap".

Anyone else out there doing weard things whilst playing? Maybe we can get together and join a freakshow or something :lol:
Chris Adler (lamb of God) leads left foot alot as well, if I remember right...

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

I've been told on numerous occasions I've got the "ugliest" traditional they've ever seen. I've been told my wrist is going to break into a million pieces or something...i can't help it though..it's where i'm most comfortable. It is quite hideous though. :-s

LeJayk

I first noticed this yesterday whilst watching my wrists in the mirror... my left wrist is higher than my right, which worries me incase of wrist injuries, but I still get the same bounce and power as my right hand. I dunno if thats just a weird occurance, but I'm trying to fix it.

Also, my left foot can play bass faster than my right. I've been told its cos I'm playing with nerves, which isn't good. Lol.

ReensIndustries

I have set my snare drum exactly where i like it, but i am always busting open my index knuckle on my left hand. I have been doing that ever since i started in 1992. Maybe it's not that weird but it sucks. I have 2 wounds on my knuckle as i type this.

AaronEdgarDrum

Dude_on_Drums":1tg1i6q7 said:

I'll start...

Dude_on_Drums:

I do the left leading double bass for straight patterns as well. I also know why we do this. Picture yourself playing on your ride cymbal, just a regular groove... what's your hihat doing? For the most part in most 'normal' situations it's keeping time on the beat. Be it, 8th notes, quarter notes or two and four, it's laying down a steady constant 'on the beat' pulse for us... Which is what it's doing when you're leading left double bass. It's used to lining up with the snare drum, and whatever cymbals you're playing. If you're doing 16th note double bass leading left. Essentially, your left foot is just playing straight eighth notes if you isolate what it's doing.

~Aaron

stu

Dude_on_Drums":31hp5ebv said:

I'll start...

I don't do this but I would not consider it weird. If you think about what comes natural. pay attention. to your walking motion. When you take a step with your left foot does your left arm swing forward? No the exact opposite happens. That is why this seems to sound more natural to me. Even though thats not how I play.

Josheh

dwtoast72":1z1wyy6y said:
Dude_on_Drums":1z1wyy6y said:

I'll start...

Chris Adler (lamb of God) leads left foot alot as well, if I remember right...
Yes he does, but he is also left handed, thats y he does that.

okjohne

AaronEdgarDrum":2mgsnj3w said:
Dude_on_Drums":2mgsnj3w said:

I'll start...

Dude_on_Drums:

I do the left leading double bass for straight patterns as well. I also know why we do this. Picture yourself playing on your ride cymbal, just a regular groove... what's your hihat doing? For the most part in most 'normal' situations it's keeping time on the beat. Be it, 8th notes, quarter notes or two and four, it's laying down a steady constant 'on the beat' pulse for us... Which is what it's doing when you're leading left double bass. It's used to lining up with the snare drum, and whatever cymbals you're playing. If you're doing 16th note double bass leading left. Essentially, your left foot is just playing straight eighth notes if you isolate what it's doing.

~Aaron
I think this tendancy is developed naturaly when we find it hard to hit the up and down beat at the same time with appendages that are trained to do the opposite.

Ok so up/boom is the bass drum. and Down/Kack is the snare. Boom-Kack Boom Kack Jive?? Well if you do 16ths or 8ths on the DB The up and the down both happen on ths Bass but only the down on the snare. It seems easier at first to go Boom-Kack so switching the Boom to the left foot seems like the easy fix. It is harder with the 8ths than 16ths to start with the right foot. We start with 8ths so some adjust to left first before they have developed the skill much. Check it out.

There is nothing rong with this and if you are gifted or ambewhateverit'scalled it might be a hard earned short cut. If not, I do not recomend for long term development.

Drumosaurus

whenever I do anything on double bass I always raise my elbows like I'm flapping wings. weird. I didn't notice I did that until I whacked my china with my elbow.

drumur

I'll start...
Dude, it makes complete sense to play this way. I play the same way and it comes natural. It's not a handicap or freaky...it's logical I've shared this before in threads and nobody related. Thank you for finally validating that for me. Yes, Yes, Yes. LOL.

Way before I ever played double bass, I kept time with my left foot. A lot of great players do this. Watch them. So, if you're keeping time in 1/8 notes with your left foot, you just ad the "e" and the "ah" of a 1/16 note pattern and, voile! It feels natural. Also, before I played double pedal, I used to emulate a double bass 1/16 note pattern by playing 1/8 notes on my floor tom or Hi Hat and playing the "e" and "ah" on my kick. I was doing that when I was 10 yrs old.
It just feels really natural, especially on 1/16s or shuffles. It's very synchronized and will sound better than right foot lead.
Try this...play an inverted paradiddle (RLLR LRRL RLLR LRRL) with the right hand on the bell and the left hand on the snare while playing 1/16s on the kicks. Everything falls into place. This would feel unnatural if you started with the right foot.

drumur

Here's mine.
I've been playing since I was able to sit on the throne at it's lowest setting , and able to reach the pedals...around 4 yrs old.
Anyway, I'm left-handed, but I played right-handed on my Dad's kit because it was set up that way and that's how I saw him do it. He was a Big-Band drummer touring cross-country when I was a kid.
I have a defect which makes it almost impossible to "supinate" meaning turn the palm facing up. This makes it difficult to play conventional grip. As well, when I play conventional, I play lefty with the match grip in the left hand and the conventional in the right. This totally screws my ability to use conventional on a right-handed kit.
So, I've stuck with matched grip all of my life.
I really don't need conventional grip cause I don't march with a sling. I can play just as light and sensitive with matched. Your right hand is held that way in conventional grip. Why not hold them both the same?
anyway, I've had much success, regardless.

jeffrot

Very interesting stuff. I lead with my left on the bass only when doing fills. It just gets that extra note. I'm not sure if I started doing this on purpose or not. It just feels natural. If I'm doing a straight double bass patturn I start with my right.

The chicken wing thing is kinda funny. I actually do that a little my self. I think it helps with timing a little kinda like raising one arm a little in a flam.

xdoseonex

drumur":2azr3gcd said:
Here's mine.
I've been playing since I was able to sit on the throne at it's lowest setting , and able to reach the pedals...around 4 yrs old.
Anyway, I'm left-handed, but I played right-handed on my Dad's kit because it was set up that way and that's how I saw him do it. He was a Big-Band drummer touring cross-country when I was a kid.
I have a defect which makes it almost impossible to "supinate" meaning turn the palm facing up. This makes it difficult to play conventional grip. As well, when I play conventional, I play lefty with the match grip in the left hand and the conventional in the right. This totally screws my ability to use conventional on a right-handed kit.
So, I've stuck with matched grip all of my life.
I really don't need conventional grip cause I don't march with a sling. I can play just as light and sensitive with matched. Your right hand is held that way in conventional grip. Why not hold them both the same?
anyway, I've had much success, regardless.
i dont think theres anything conventional about traditonal grip. its obsolete

Spacehog

I've never had a drum lesson in my life, I've never played a marching snare in my life, and I don't play jazz, but I play traditional grip most of the time. Actually, I switch between traditional and matched quite a lot, sometimes even within the same song. It wasn't something I noticed until I watched a video of myself playing once, it's never been a conscious thing. I just find traditional grip more comfortable for a lot of things.

I can't think of much. I constantly tap my left foot with the beat and close my hi-hat on almost every snare hit, but this might just be my lack of proper instruction. Also, I keep my snare kinda low so I hit my thighs with my hands a lot. But because of the way I hit and hold the sticks, I always do rimshots if I raise my snare up much higher. I also place my hi-hats only about 3 inches above the top of my snare...

PDP9000

i kinda have a wired way of holding sticks when i do a fast fill or like a
fast drum roll but its hard to explain