we had an earthquake!!!

dammow

we had an earthquake at 1am wednesday morning measuring 5.2 on the richter scale. pretty badass for the UK!

it woke me and the missus up in a shock but nothing round our house was damaged luckily.

any of you guys suffered a proper earthquake, i know you get bad ones in san fransisco?!?!

Timekeep69

We used to get them all the time when I lived in San Diego. I lived there during the Northridge earthquake.

DrumsPlus

I was born in Santa Clara, CA and I can remember a lot of earthquakes. My mother and sister lived in San Jose, when the San Fransisco one hit. I was in Wisconsin, but man the just not know was bad enough. Glad to hear your alright.

Vanden

Yeah i know its pretty amazing that we got an earthquake over here in the UK when we are nowhere near a tectonic plate boundry. But come one, the media is playng this to much. It was a tiny earthquake, no one died, chimneys got broken and its front page news. People are always dying around the world and cities are being destroyed because of earthquakes. COME ON!

dedrummervanrolf

there were folks here in amsterdam who claimed to have felt it too.. Supposedly they woke up from their sleep from the sound/vibration. I was wide awake at the time and I didn't feel or hear anything.

DrumsPlus

dedrummervanrolf":3m8ok84f said:
there were folks here in amsterdam who claimed to have felt it too.. Supposedly they woke up from their sleep from the sound/vibration. I was wide awake at the time and I didn't feel or hear anything.
You would know it if it happen. Sounds like a freight train is coming right at you.

dedrummervanrolf

DrumsPlus":1f7mxz2e said:
dedrummervanrolf":1f7mxz2e said:
You would know it if it happen. Sounds like a freight train is coming right at you.
Yeah, I can imagine..that's why it's so strange that there are actually folks here who claim they felt it, while most of the people didn't..

Dammow, glad everythings alright man, I've seen some pictures of rooftops and chimneypipes on the streets, and it must be terrifying to be in the middle of it all of a sudden..

SGarrett

Nifty. I've never felt anything above a 3.xx. Which is odd because I live very close to part of the San Andreas Fault.

trstn

I experienced 2 earthquakes.

1. Summer 1990 in Juneau Alaska, 4.5 at 7am. I slept like a baby.

2. 3 or 4 years ago in northern Germany it was about 4 and 2 seconds long. Nothing really bad but a weird feeling when the ground moves that way. A very rare occasion.

PDP9000

I use to live in the san fransico area AKA the Bay area and we use to have about 2 pretty big earthquakes
a year.

dammow

Vanden":1kqkwbkw said:
Yeah i know its pretty amazing that we got an earthquake over here in the UK when we are nowhere near a tectonic plate boundry. But come one, the media is playng this to much. It was a tiny earthquake, no one died, chimneys got broken and its front page news. People are always dying around the world and cities are being destroyed because of earthquakes. COME ON!
im not bigging it up mate, just telling people because its rare round here! media always makes things worse than it really is, but 5.2 is pretty high for the UK!

People near me said they felt it, I never felt/heard a thing.

How close were you Dammow?
the earthquake was in market rasen i think and i live in grantham, lincs, which is about 40-50 miles away!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ake927.xml

Assback

Born and raised in California. I sleep through most earthquakes. I can't remember feeling a real wicked one in a while though

LeJayk

Alan_":6peu3qe7 said:
Wow, I didn't know the UK got earthquakes.
No, neither did we! :lol:

We have the occassional small regional one that you barely feel, but this was huge. Covered the entire country. Never had anything like it.

But then, it's still nothing compared to America. Even British earthquakes do things by half :(

BillRayDrums

Earthquakes are kinda fun....the little ones anyway! I remember feeling one a few months ago.....smallish but enough to let you know it was there.