Wavey Edge China?

PaulZILLA

I was watching a drum video somewhere, and the drummer had this wavey edged china on his kit(at least thats the way it was shaped). he didnt have it inverted, so im not sure what exactly it was. the video never showed him using it. I am wondering if any of you folks have a clue what this thing is, the look alone has intrigued me. It has the edge similar to Mastersound or Sound Edge hi hats do on the bottom cymbal. but its on a china looking cymbal.

screamkevin

Paul,

I know that Thomas Lang's "Tom's Becken" signature line from Meinl has a 14" Filter China that has holes and rippled edges. That might be what you're thinking of.

PaulZILLA

ill try to f ind the vid again and l ink it in here. but its was for sure a not a filter china, no holes. and im almost positive it was a zildjian.

galgano16

with the wavy edge its suppose to make the cymbal sound a little more trashy with a wobblely like sustain

Dusteroo

yeah - does sound like a zildjian..

However, could the waves have been the result of beating the china to death? occasionally it could happen to a cymbal.

p.s. - I have a 10" Paiste innovations splash that was hit so hard, it's 'inside-out', like a 'china-splash'... Sounds kind of cool, could be a cool effect, but I guess that's not unusual for splash cymbals..? is that new to anyone?

phil-drummer

if ya look at matt mcdonough chinas in the video " dig " for mudvayne it luks like sumthin from a house of mirrors at a fun fair.

PaulZILLA

well its definately not a Crash Of Doom. ive played one of those at a drumshop, they are amazing. its way too small for that. the waves are too uniform and exact to be from abuse. as far as a splash flipping inside out. i had a 14in crash flip inside out. and i use it for a china/splash effect. i like it more like that than when it was a crash. it was free. so i wasnt really hurt when it flipped on me. i dont use splashes right now so i duno bout em flipping but it makes sense to me. ive seen 16 and 18 in crash's do that at some shows. thats from abuse but yea, not that unusual. im positive this cymbal was a china, it had the shape. the bell and everything. im still lookin for it, but im gettin progress, my local shop i frequent(the Drummers' Pad) is a sabian and zildjian dealer, and they got access to all kinda goodies. im gona look into their vault and catalog and see if its there.

WingsOfMajesty

AmnestysLowEnd":wnz5p1pf said:
dosent paiste make something like that in there 2002 line? I think its called a nova or something.
thats what i was thinking of, the part where the bell is, is kinda inverted, and it produces a china/crash like sound... i own it, very nice cymbol

Olie_Mapex

so its a zildjian, wavy, and sounds cool? only thing coming to mind is a zxt trashformer and i own one and it does indeed kick ass

Guy&i

Chad Smith (RHCP) played a 12 or 14" "wavy" cymbal
its not achina for sure. it looks like a small crash the got the shit beaten out of her.
u can have a good look at it on the RHCP show in the Red Squre in Russia if u find that video.
could it be the one?
i know he plays sabian but nothing was written on it so he might have hidden a zilli somewhere

screamkevin

This is the Paiste 2002 Novo China:

But it has no holes in it. Someone may have drilled it out for rivets or something, but it's also not a wavy edged cymbal.

This is the Thomas Lang Filter China:

Holes, and a slightly rippled edge like you described. I'm willing to bet that this is the cymbal you are talking about.

PaulZILLA

i thought it was too. but it does NOT have holes in it. close though. alot more steep ripples. im pretty sure it was a Zildjian