water and drums?

Gazdkw82§

basically i went to see 36 crazy fists couple of weeks ago and there drummer kept putting water in his mouth and spitting it out real fast while playing songs. the visual effect is great however, towards the end of the show his drums/cymbals where covered in water. surely over time, this water will get into grooves and cause problems? and then theres the microphones micing his kit, surely they dont like water?

have you guys seen drummers do this before?

BillRayDrums

As long as you towel them off afterwards, water is not going to hurt your drums. I personally like it when I play outdoors and a light mist rolls in and gets my drums slightly damp. I wipe them off and viola!! My drumset got a much-needed bath. :)

Seriously, as long as they are not in standing water your shells are in no danger. The places where the shells could absorb water are the edges, and they are covered by a waterproof covering (the head). This kind of behavior could cause the lugs to rust, but a hit of WD-40 will keep the rust away.

trstn

*chuckle* if you have drums made from wood ... :D

Mics will not have any problem with drops of water, as long your not soaking them when running .. they'll dry .. well yeah I had a SM57 fallen of a stage while it was raining and it fell into a huge puddle .. it survived . :) I would not do that with those expensive Neumann studio mics ... much more fun is electricity couplings under a stage and some rain :) ...
"Why do I got a shock when I touch the ground support tower stage left?"

mattdoesrock

Oh man I love 36 Crazyfists, and Thomas Noonan is my favourite (most under-rated) drummer of all time.

But yea, it looks great when guys do that, but like most guys have said, as long as you wipe the water off your drums after, they'll be fine :D [/b]

won't do any damage...

but it'll cause some unsightly spotting... especially on cymbals...

i'd hate to be the roadie that has to polish those things after every gig...

Gazdkw82§

surely the water will gather in between the skin and the rim, over time this surely must effect the resonance of the skin?

i was lucky enough to meet the guys from 36 except the drummer funny enough lol

markmywords

Water should evaporate before it does any damage. I've seen tons of bands do this, I even have done it during a few gigs, it's tough to get just the right amount of water and air to get a good mist effect. Seth from Emery did it like every song, Atreyu, Underoath, The Bled even poppy bands like Relient K and The Early November, and bands like Thrice, Thursday and Showbread. Cymbals could receive some greenness from water but something that's worse at making cymbals green is your own finger oils and whatever other body fluids (sweat, blood, saliva?...etc?) can be more corrosive than water

Gazdkw82§

markmywords":1axt5b45 said:
Water should evaporate before it does any damage. I've seen tons of bands do this, I even have done it during a few gigs, it's tough to get just the right amount of water and air to get a good mist effect. Seth from Emery did it like every song, Atreyu, Underoath, The Bled even poppy bands like Relient K and The Early November, and bands like Thrice, Thursday and Showbread. Cymbals could receive some greenness from water but something that's worse at making cymbals green is your own finger oils and whatever other body fluids
(sweat, blood, saliva?...etc?) can be more corrosive than water
thats really interesing. what is the right amount of air and water then?

iatemygoat

i used to actually get very mad at my old singer because he used to spit water on me in the middle of sets. granted it was a great visual and fealt GREAT but it spotted my cymbals up and made my sweat fly off on the everything as well.

Conor

see, the thing is that he is probably endorsed by a drum company, so if he ruins that one, he'll get another one for free. ya it probably will cause problems to the drums, but not the cymbals with you dry them off after the show

stump

Can't say that I spit water or anything else while playing. Visual effect or not as much as I spend on drum equipment I am not taking any chances. Now as far as someone spitting water on me while playing or at any time for that matter...be ready to get hit! I will towel off rain or mist but don't spit my way. Later.

EOTE_drummer

well in a creed video they r actually in the water while playing, and the drummer is about a foot and a half under water. i know that is probably fake or computer animated.

trstn

Not to forget Slayer's "Still reigning.." DVD with that nice "weather" effect towards the end of the show ...

Joezeppi

I agree with stump, if someone is spitting water on me while I'm playing they're going to get something spit back in return with a little more solidity to it!

BillRayDrums

Joezeppi":2k0ln9ca said:
I agree with stump, if someone is spitting water on me while I'm playing they're going to get something spit back in return with a little more solidity to it!
Something tells me that water and amplifiers don't mix. Throw a bucket onto the guitarist and watch him spark!! :)

PaulZILLA

water really doesnt effect the drums unless you play raw shells. then towle it off ASAP and your fine. other than that it wont hurt, just wipe it off after the gig. cymbals will spot. but thats polishable. glow stick goop likes to cling to shells nicesly. luckily the last time i did that i had wraps on my kit. i used to break open glow sticks after activating them and pour the goop on my cymbals for a nice first crash. i hate when people touch my cymbals. its a pet peave. touch my shiny cymbals with your greesy fingers and ill break them(fingers that is). an no amplifiers dont mix too well with water i imagine. wana really tick off a guitarist(not bassist their strings cost too much for this to be funny) get a small cup of bleech, and a couple cotton swabs(or q-tips of your from the south) and use the cotton swabs to rub bleach on their strings, do this right before they case up for the night when they arent looking. it will rust the strings in a matter of hours, and i mean solid rust.

downshifter99

In time it will effect your drums...he doesn't care cause he has a tech to wipe all the shit down...he's a rock star :roll: ...I personally find it idiotic.

markmywords

Gazdkw82§":17mvstrv said:
markmywords":17mvstrv said:
Water should evaporate before it does any damage. I've seen tons of bands do this, I even have done it during a few gigs, it's tough to get just the right amount of water and air to get a good mist effect. Seth from Emery did it like every song, Atreyu, Underoath, The Bled even poppy bands like Relient K and The Early November, and bands like Thrice, Thursday and Showbread. Cymbals could receive some greenness from water but something that's worse at making cymbals green is your own finger oils and whatever other body fluids
(sweat, blood, saliva?...etc?) can be more corrosive than water
thats really interesing. what is the right amount of air and water then?
It's odd, it's mostly air, you have to kind of blow air over the top of the water, and raise the water up with your tongue slowly. It's like a clutch on a stick shift you gotta find that friction point and you'll get a good fine mist that lands in very small amounts on the drums and/or cymbals which you usually whack them enough that the water evaporates or is splashed off the drums.

CrimsonSteel138

It looks cool when you pour some water on the snare, or the floor tom or something, and hit it and it goes everywhere. I saw the drummer of HammerFall do that on the video "Glory to the Brave". I want to try it, but I'm scared it might mess up the mics, or the other electrical stuff around me.